I HATE Running!

Options
2»

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    get on google and see if your town has a running group. They are pretty common, there is usually a mix of experienced runners and beginners so don't feel intimidated. Make some friends there. Having a buddy to talk to takes your mind off things and a little healthy compitition can do wonders.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    If you hate running, don't run. Find other cardio you enjoy: swimming, biking, walking, the elliptical you kind of like, a crosstrainer, etc.
  • jmagdalena707
    jmagdalena707 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Running outdoors helps me with the boredom factor.

If cardio is the goal maybe try something else? Cycling class is my favorite cardio. I could go everyday(and often do.)
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Find your niche and do it
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Running outdoors makes a huge difference. I use the "Zombies, Run!" app which intersperses your playlist wit ha gripping post-apocalypse story and you can add in zombie chases to make you go faster!
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    It seems odd but running the same outdoor route helps me. When I don't have to think about navigation or how much is left I can enjoy the outdoors and my mind can day dream as I run. Coupled with a music that motivates (for me that is up-tempo stuff you could dance to) you can really just cruise along and the miles just tick off as your mind is elsewhere. As others have said, the endorphins will kick in after a two or three miles and you get a sense of well-being that is hard to beat. Mile two always sucks for me, you have to just muscle past the first couple warm-up miles to get in the groove.
  • shannonmaines
    shannonmaines Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with a lot of the posters here...running outside is so much better than in the gym. I used to despise running but started slow and have grown to love it! I never personally used the couch to 5k but know a lot of people who have and love it. Another tip that works for me is a good playlist with music that makes me want to keep going. However, like others have said, it may not be your thing so find what works for you.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    It takes long enough to get to enjoy running that many people don't last quite that long.

this needs repeating- because- TRUTH!

Most people can gut there way up to 2-3 miles just fine- after that takes some work for most people. And it takes some time-and like strength training- it's a matter of lacing up and doing.
  • klynshoe
    klynshoe Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone else has suggested it, but I enjoy listening to sermons while I run. Check with your local churches to see if they have an app. Sometimes I also listen to talk radio. Music becomes annoying to me after awhile and having the ability to focus on a stimulating topic distracts me.

Also, to switch things up try fartlek techniques. I've downloaded a HIIT timer app, and will do a minute (or whatever time) of sprinting, followed by a 30 second walk, and then next time do a sprint with short strides, and then long strides, etc.

Running with a buddy always helps to as before you know it you've gabbed the entire time and then suddenly you're done!!
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Like others said, if you hate it, don't do it.

I tried becoming a runner last summer, I hated it, then injured myself, so I couldn't do it. That made me look into other ways to get cardio and now I mostly cycle, with some elliptical mixed in.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I hate running. So I don't run. Find something you don't hate , and do that instead

Totally this. I waited way too long to incorporate exercise in to my life, thinking somehow it had to be miserable to be worthwhile. I do what I love. I happen to love running. Hate the treadmill.

Have you thought of dance, like Zumba or something else? Totally cardio, a total workout, and fun.
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »
    How to get over not liking to run ? Buy a bike

The best form of cardio!!!! :p
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to run?

I hate running, so I don't do it. I love lifting weights, so I do that. Might as well do something you find fun that you'll stick with than something you hate that feels you'll punish yourself with.
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I hated running all my life. I have vivid memories of being forced to run a mile and a half in middle school in the rain. That didn't help my hatred of running! I loved dance and aerobics but had to give it up due to a repetative stress injury. So I started walking a 2 mile loop around my neighborhood - killer hills, great work out. One year, my daughter wanted a treadmill for Christmas. Guess who uses it almost exclusively now? The first time I ran a mile without stopping I felt like the queen of everything. Now I mostly focus on intervals of incline walking and running on the flat parts. I love it. My joints are happy. No more shin splints (thanks to being properly fitted). Good tunes are essential. I will run outside occasionally, like on vacation or if a sunny day is really calling me out. I enjoy it but my joints pay the price. Hopefully by the end of summer, with a few more pounds off and some more time outside, this will be more of a regular option. Either way, never thought I'd ever say I enjoy running. But I do.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Music, 'Zombies, Run', or an audio book helps if you don't get to run in a scenic area. Or on a route challenging enough that you need your attention on the trail.

What helped me is using a race training program and following that. I do better when I have set goals, it helps me power through any boredom. Doesn't work as well if I'm picking what I want to do for the day. Following a program got me through running 12 miles on a 1/8-1/9 mile indoor track, something I hope to never need to repeat. But, that run was needed before I did my final 14 mile long run going all the way around a local lake at sunrise, which was very cool.

But really, if it turns out that you never get past hating running, pick something else you do like.
  • NeverGiveUpKMV
    NeverGiveUpKMV Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Update to everyone:

Couldn't be more pleased with everyone's response!
    I got off my butt today and actually decided to give a treadmill a chance!

Ended up running a 10 minute mile!

That's the first time I've ever even ran a mile! So proud of myself, and plan to keep this up until the weather gets nicer.

Thanks again to everyone and happy running! :smiley:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Then don't run, simple as that. ;)

Find something you do like!!! Win!!! :smiley: