Fast food, low calorie choices (mom on the go)

Options
2»

Replies

• Kaylew0125
    Options
    My on the go picks are usually crunchy chicken tacos from taco bell or a Flatbread blt from subway!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Even with lower calorie choices at several fast food places, I would try to make my own food most of the time. And I just read an article about the food preferences that children develop quite early in life. If you are eating fast food as a regular thing, I'm guessing that the kids are too. Batch cooking is the way to go. It's a fun family thing too.
  • gypsychic33
    gypsychic33 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Subway!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    When I go through the drive through it is usually with my kids and we are on our way somewhere. I get them kids meals and then eat maybe half of one of their orders of fries. Even a full order of happy meal fries is only 100 cals. Most of the sandwiches I would order are 400 cals or so, so I can usually get out for less than 500 cals. If my husband is with us, he doesn't drink soda, so I get a combo and we all share the fries. That built in portion control really helps keep the calories in check.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    When we eat fast food, we usually skip the drinks and fries when considering calories. Opting for chicken sandwiches, grilled not fried, over beef typically yields lower calories. You can also request to have sandwiches without mayo or cheese.
  • chubbles123
    chubbles123 Posts: 2 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    While it's not exactly fast food, I like to get take out Vietnamese food. Most Pho places can fill a to-go order really quickly; I usually only have to wait 5 minutes or so. I love getting fresh spring rolls for lunch. They are healthy and surprisingly filling.

Also, if you have a Great Harvest Bread Company in your area, they make amazing sandwiches. Skip the mayo and cheese and you won't be eating too many calories.
  • Tatarataa
    Tatarataa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Hungry girl recipes and tips as well as subway. Or just go for a mc donalds ice cream cone or burger and combine eg with carrot stics or salad from grocery store.
  • Tatarataa
    Tatarataa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    starbucks oatmeal without aditives sweeten with homebrought things and maybe some fruit from starbucks or home.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    hhnkhl wrote: »
    Salads at McDonalds are pretty good...only use like half of the sauce though...

I thought so too, until five or six years ago, I bought one on a Friday night around 6:30 pm to bring for lunch at a Saturday seminar I was attending the next day. I put it in the refrigerator immediately and the next morning, at 7:00, took the bag holding the salad out of the fridge. There was something watery all in it. I couldn't imagine what had spilled into my salad. I put the bag in the sink, opened it, and ewwww it looked like four-day-old spinach soup. Turns out the shelf life for McDonald's salads are 8 to 12 hours (call your local one - they will confirm this) because the ingredients are actually weeks old from being stored and trucked and are kept looking fresh by "a sophisticated cooling system" when they aren't really fresh at all. I've never been to a McDonald's since.