Endorphins, what?

I've recently started working out (only for the last week or so), and all I've found is that it makes me extremely sleepy. I don't get the "endorphin high" everyone talks about. Am I just weird like this, or am I doing something wrong?

Replies

• ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    That used to happen to me too. You are doing nothing wrong!

Give it a while and see if that changes for you. I don't exactly remember when it changed for me. I don't really get an endorphin high, more like, stress relief now. I guess perhaps a bit of a runner's high after I've gone 2 miles.

Also, be sure you are drinking enough water. Crazy but true, if I'm fatigued now, it is usually that I'm thirsty. Weird mind games the body tends to play!
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Make sure you're hydrated and that you're eating enough. When I go under the calories I need i don't have the energy to exercise. When I'm eating enough exercise is the best.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    Check that you:
    - aren't doing too much too soon
    - aren't in too great of a calorie deficit
    - are sleeping enough. You may need more sleep now that you're exercising more.

• Shawnrivas
    Shawnrivas Posts: 7 Member
    That same thing happens to me when I'm not hydrating during the week when not working out. Stay strong and get pumped.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited April 2015
    I just go the endorphin high when things were in full flow, it felt pretty good knowing I was much fitter and the metres were passing away. Cheery upbeat music and the sun shining down also helped.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Especially if you've not been in the habit of working out, it may take a long time before your body is prepared to give you an endorphin result. Some of that hormone stuff can be very dependant on the overall state of your fitness (things like total bodyfat for instance can have a BIG impact on your hormones).

I didn't really have a recognizable endorphin high from exercise until I'd been working out regularly for a year. Although I did pretty quickly (e.g., a couple of months -- not a couple of days or weeks!) start getting an overall sense of calm, well-being, and stress relief.
  • theston412
    theston412 Posts: 47 Member
    Thanks, guys! I'm thinking that maybe I'm not getting enough water, or enough to eat, although I never thought of that. I don't usually eat my workout calories, but maybe I will start doing that.

As a (former) avid pop drinker (5-7 cans of mt dew per day), I'm still trying to get used to this water thing. I am up to about 3-4 glasses per day, but I know I'm not where I should be. I'm working on it, though.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Higher intensity. The theory is that beta endorphines is released as a way to deal with the pain from pressuring the body.

Google it if you want to know more.

I can highly recommend trying though. The waves of pleasure are crazy good. Too bad they're such hard work, lol ;)