Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

When I exercise I taste acid

Anyone else have this problem? It makes me not want to exert myself because it is so uncomfortable. When I start to breathe hard it feels like I am breathing up stomach acid.

Replies

• Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    It sounds like 1 of 2 things is going on here. Either you have exercise induced acid reflux or you may be going into ketosis and getting that nasty, metallic tasting breath that comes along with it. Are you eating carbohydrates?
  • skinny0000
    skinny0000 Posts: 90 Member
    Yes, I get as close as I can to the MFP guidelines as far as my macros.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    skinny0000 wrote: »
    Yes, I get as close as I can to the MFP guidelines as far as my macros.

Sounds like exercise induced acid reflux then. Try an acid reducer like prilosec for a couple of days and see if that takes care of it.

• skinny0000
    Thanks! How long before I plan to exercise should I take the pill?
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Maybe you are just tense. What exercise are you doing?
    Can you walk a little in between exertion efforts?
    A simple remedy like peppermint oil relaxes the digestive tract. You can put a little on your finger and touch it to your tongue.
  • skinny0000
    Justygirl77, I am bicycling at 14-20mph moderate hills. I get the acid whenever i get out of breath. But besides the acid, I don't feel like I am overdoing, i.e. I feel like I could go a little harder even without collapsing. :)
  • earlnabby
    Thanks! How long before I plan to exercise should I take the pill?

It's a 24 hour thing so take it anytime, it takes an hour or two for the first dose to start working but it works continuously after that. Just make sure you don't take it near the time you take any other medications or vitamins because it can reduce the absorption. I took it for a while and took my main vitamins and meds with breakfast and my prilosec with dinner.

You could also start with a plain antacid or a spoonful of sodium bicarbonate in water just before you start.

• RedRockChic
    RedRockChic Posts: 69 Member
    Acid reducers/blockers are effective if taken first thing in the day, prior to any food or beverage. The trick is that these drugs must be in your system 20-30 min prior to digestive juices forming, so prior to having anything else in your stomach.

I use omeprazole (Prilosec) it is very effective.
  • earlnabby
    Justygirl77, I am bicycling at 14-20mph moderate hills. I get the acid whenever i get out of breath. But besides the acid, I don't feel like I am overdoing, i.e. I feel like I could go a little harder even without collapsing. :)

Next time you see your doctor, mention this. If you are drawing up acid with heavy breathing it could be GERD or even a hiatal hernia.

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Agreed try omeprazole (Prilosec)! I take it in the very morning on an empty stomach as it suggests and it works all day.

You can buy a 14 day pack and take it for a couple weeks. Should fix your problem.

I was told to avoid spicy foods, fried foods, peppermint (i was drinking 6-7 cups of peppermint tea a day, yikes!), hot drinks like coffee and tea, chocolate, and tomatoes.

good luck!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    ooh you learn soemthing new every day. Never heard of this.
  • earlnabby
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    peppermint (i was drinking 6-7 cups of peppermint tea a day, yikes!).

This is interesting because peppermint is usually calming to the stomach.

• skinny0000
    Agreed try omeprazole (Prilosec)! I take it in the very morning on an empty stomach as it suggests and it works all day.

You can buy a 14 day pack and take it for a couple weeks. Should fix your problem.

I was told to avoid spicy foods, fried foods, peppermint (i was drinking 6-7 cups of peppermint tea a day, yikes!), hot drinks like coffee and tea, chocolate, and tomatoes.

good luck!

Interesting... I tend to eat everything on that list! :)
  • rainbowbow

good luck!

I did too, believe me! Within 3 days cutting those foods and taking the medication i felt SO much better.
  • rainbowbow
    earlnabby wrote: »

From http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/peppermint

Do not take peppermint or drink peppermint tea if you have gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD -- a condition where stomach acids back up into the esophagus) or hiatal hernia. Peppermint can relax the sphincter between the stomach and esophagus, allowing stomach acids to flow back into the esophagus. (The sphincter is the muscle that separates the esophagus from the stomach.) By relaxing the sphincter, peppermint may actually make the symptoms of heartburn and indigestion worse.
  • earlnabby

Do not take peppermint or drink peppermint tea if you have gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD -- a condition where stomach acids back up into the esophagus) or hiatal hernia. Peppermint can relax the sphincter between the stomach and esophagus, allowing stomach acids to flow back into the esophagus. (The sphincter is the muscle that separates the esophagus from the stomach.) By relaxing the sphincter, peppermint may actually make the symptoms of heartburn and indigestion worse.

Thanks for that. Obviously there is a difference between acid reflux and nausea (peppermint IS good for mild upsets in the stomach)

• earlnabby

good luck!

I did too, believe me! Within 3 days cutting those foods and taking the medication i felt SO much better.

I tried to get along without the omeprazole and ended up in the hospital with severe anemia. Apparently my acid reflux was forming erosions in the stomach which sometimes bled, and my poor diet at the time prevented my body from recovering. 4 units of blood later, I was feeling better and taking a prilosec a day. I recently stopped (after being on it daily for 15 months) per my doctor and only had to take it once since then because I ate too much cheese which started up the acid again.

• rainbowbow

Thanks for that. Obviously there is a difference between acid reflux and nausea (peppermint IS good for mild upsets in the stomach)

Yep, but the entire time i was experiencing acid issues i kept thinking i was doing myself good by drinking fizzy drinks like sprite and ginger ale, and hot peppermint tea. Turns out they were actually making it worse. :(

the more you know!
  • rainbowbow

good luck!

I tried to get along without the omeprazole and ended up in the hospital with severe anemia. Apparently my acid reflux was forming erosions in the stomach which sometimes bled, and my poor diet at the time prevented my body from recovering. 4 units of blood later, I was feeling better and taking a prilosec a day. I recently stopped (after being on it daily for 15 months) per my doctor and only had to take it once since then because I ate too much cheese which started up the acid again.

Apparently I had an H. Pylori infection. I went to my doctors twice insisting they test me for it because my symptoms were matching it. They insisted that people in first world countries never get it and it was just soooo unlikely.

I had upper-gut swelling and looked bloated right under my sternum ONLY.

apparently they can cause peptic ulcers and all sorts of problems. thank gosh they tested and were ultra-apologetic about how wrong they were. >:)
  • marmaladepixie
    marmaladepixie Posts: 83 Member
    In addition to what was already mentioned, I find that certain vitamins or other medications can jump start heartburn for me and last all day. I switched to liquid vitamins and that helped a lot... This is just in case none of the other ideas apply to your situation. Vitamin d and b complex are the usual culprits, as well as pain medications, etc