Malnourished

My name is Veronica. I am a 21 year old female. I am 4'11 weighing 84lbs. Was wondering what could help me gain weight. Just went to see my Doctor and she told me that I'm malnourished. Any thoughts or suggestions? Would really help.

Replies

• crjmg
    crjmg Posts: 18 Member
    Don't force feed too much or you will feel sick. Think of ways to eat small amounts but still ingesting large calories (high dense food). Think adding olive oil, peanut butter, extra toast to meals, whole milk/higher fat dairy,... Weight gainers from supplement health food stores help too.
  • BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    You should seek out the help of a registered dietician with experience in eating disorders. Eating too much too fast after a period of starvation or malnourishment can lead to refeeding syndrome, which can be life threatening. It would be best to get advice from a professional about how to slowly and steadily gain some weight to become healthy again
  • MissMary75044
    MissMary75044 Posts: 517 Member
    If you are malnourished and eating you definitely need to see a doctor. There are medical conditions like IBS, Crohns Disease, and Celiac Disease that can cause your body not to properly absorb nutrients.
  • Could be a thyroid issue def see a doctor !
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Doctor first- but she said you just need to eat more.

Which makes me think- go see another doctor.

Secondly in the gaining game- calories are king- eat the standard "healthy" food (chicken- veggies etc) then round out your day with whatever high calorie less filing food you want. Lots of us reach for gelato- or bagels.

Carbs will be your friend.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    You should seek out the help of a registered dietician with experience in eating disorders. Eating too much too fast after a period of starvation or malnourishment can lead to refeeding syndrome, which can be life threatening. It would be best to get advice from a professional about how to slowly and steadily gain some weight to become healthy again

Cosigned, this is the best advice. Your diet is either deficient or you have a medical issue for absorbtion of certain nutrients.