I'm not plus size nor am I very slim. HELP ME BUY A BATHING SUIT!!

Options
I know this isn't exactly motivation, but its also not exactly chit chat and I'm assuming other women must run into this issue too.

I'm a size 6,8, or 10 (US) depending on clothing and brand. In most things I am a 6, but in higher end designers I can creep up to a ten. I'm not where I want to be yet in terms of weight and still carry about 15-20 extra pounds. But I'm within a normal weight range, albeit towards the high end. I'm probably about 26-27% body fat. Trying to get down to more like 20-21%.

I am really struggling with shopping for a bikini. I feel like my options are either things that only look good on size 0-2 or women with very little body fat, or things designed for plus size women that cover up too much. There don't seem to be any options in the middle.

Any suggestions of brands you average/normal-weighted/whateveryouwanttocallit women like??? Money is no object if I can find something I really love.

Extra points if it supports the boobs in a flattering way.

ALL SUGGESTIONS APPRECIATED!!

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    What is your style like?

If you are into retro, try ModCloth or Esther Williams. In the past, I have found good options at Land's End, Athleta and Title 9. I'm a bit bigger than you and looking for different kinds of suits, but also not plus sized.

I have heard good things about Popina...haven't actually tried their suits yet.
  • jenmovies
    jenmovies Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I'm favouriting this because I need the same help! :)
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    edited but I will say if that profile is you now, you could wear a potato sack and make it look fantastic.

The edit was a link to Wicked Weasel. A legit bikini company but probably very nsfw.
  • MissMary75044
    MissMary75044 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Go for a two piece, you definitely have to body to rock one. Top wise it really depends on what you are looking for, myself I find tops with a bit more coverage more flattering, but I'm somewhere between and A and B. The really small tops, and triangle tops tend to only emphasize such. Halter styles that tie at the neck and pretty universally flattering. Some style are lined to prevent nipping, and I've seen a few tops that have support though I can't vouch for how comfortable they would be.

There are high waisted retro style bottoms that come up above the navel, and sporty type bottoms that are more like a boy short or brief cut that sit at the navel. For the longest time I was too shy to wear a two piece. The first one I bought was a full coverage brief bottom, and a sports bra style top.

It definitely can take some shopping around to find the right one, there are tons of styles though.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Seems like J Crew or Athleta are safe bets.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    i think you just have to try stuff on.
  • MaVieEntiere
    MaVieEntiere Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    JCREW. They have D and DD cup suits. Unfortunately this time of year they are like $75 to $150. I am waiting until September to see if they go on sale.
  • arditarose
    Options
    JCREW. They have D and DD cup suits. Unfortunately this time of year they are like $75 to $150. I am waiting until September to see if they go on sale.

They will. They have decent sales, especially when there's 40% off of things already marked down. Every year I say I'm going to buy one in an off season and of course, do not.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

They will. They have decent sales, especially when there's 40% off of things already marked down. Every year I say I'm going to buy one in an off season and of course, do not.

J. Crew was going to be my recommendation, too. I got this suit in dark red on clearance for 15 bucks last November B) I was having a really hard time finding something not skimpy but that didn't make me look like a hate/am trying to hide my body (skirts, ruching, etc.) and am really happy with it.
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Bathing suits are so hard to find. Either they are butt ugly or built for someone who is 13 years old.
  • arditarose
    Options
    ekat120 wrote: »

J. Crew was going to be my recommendation, too. I got this suit in dark red on clearance for 15 bucks last November B) I was having a really hard time finding something not skimpy but that didn't make me look like a hate/am trying to hide my body (skirts, ruching, etc.) and am really happy with it.

That's a pretty suit! Simple and it has a lovely bust. I still like their bathing suits but they are a little plain for my style now. I'd still definitely jump at 15 bucks though, not full price.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options

That's a pretty suit! Simple and it has a lovely bust. I still like their bathing suits but they are a little plain for my style now. I'd still definitely jump at 15 bucks though, not full price.

Thanks :) I generally have pretty minimal style. The bust is my favorite part, too. But yeah, not for full price :)
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    http://www.target.com/p/push-up-halter-bikini-top-xhilaration/-/A-15852016#prodSlot=_1_14

I just got this one and I love it. Ignore the Title- it's not push up, nor is it halter. It's very comfortable, has underwire support, and doesn't look grandmaish.
  • arditarose
    Options

Thanks :) I generally have pretty minimal style. The bust is my favorite part, too. But yeah, not for full price :)

Oh they are definitely stylish! But sporty and I'm not sporty haha
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I have always had good luck at Athleta and Title nine (on sale after season as they are spendy)....but I don't love anything I see this year. I followed the link above from Arditarose and ordered one from JCrew....awesome! they have some on sale and a promotion for a discount on one item so I got a tankini top for 29.99 which is a great price! Hope it's hear in time for Palm Springs in 2 weeks! :smiley:

Thanks for the thread...was doing lots of swimsuit shopping online the past few days with no luck!
  • arditarose
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    I have always had good luck at Athleta and Title nine (on sale after season as they are spendy)....but I don't love anything I see this year. I followed the link above from Arditarose and ordered one from JCrew....awesome! they have some on sale and a promotion for a discount on one item so I got a tankini top for 29.99 which is a great price! Hope it's hear in time for Palm Springs in 2 weeks! :smiley:

Thanks for the thread...was doing lots of swimsuit shopping online the past few days with no luck!

Nice! Glad you found something. Their sale sizings are all over the place and I couldn't find much in my size. What'd you get?!
  • kducky22
    kducky22 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty big bust and Victoria's Secrets always has some style of bathing suit I like. Helps to have a little more coverage in the top area where I need extra support. Plus, they sell separates which for me is key since I'm like an xxl on the top and a medium on the bottom.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    This is on my wish list.
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/361132463844186970/
    I had a good browse through the offerings at swimco.
  • arditarose
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    This is on my wish list.
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/361132463844186970/
    I had a good browse through the offerings at swimco.

That's pretty. I love the simplicity in the top.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I feel like it's impossible for me to find a bathing suit. My cup size is a 36F, but I'm a medium on the bottom. I'm forever searching for something.

So I'm no help, sorry.