Food hacks

Options
rwcw89
rwcw89 Posts: 143 Member
post your good tasting good for you food hacks/ recipes

Ice cream - blend frozen banana with some flavoring of your choice (I like chocolate protein powder and a tsp of peanut butter) may have to add some light almond milk to get the powder mixed better but literatly just a splash so u don't water down the banana, soo refreshing !

I sometimes put some cinnamon on my gala Apple to add a different flavor and make myself feel like I'm having a bad treat :-)

I also add salsa to my wraps instead of mayo or dressings . My new fave is trader joes peach salsa, sooo yummy, I also use spring mix spinach salad instead of iceberg . Yay vitamins

Please share your yummy hacks and healthy treats.

Replies

• BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    - I buy unsweetened Greek yogurt and add in about a tsp. of either maple syrup or organic, raw honey and just a tiny sprinkle of cinnamon! Tastes so good!
    - Warming Quest bars (or whatever protein bar you eat) up in the microwave for about 7 seconds gives them a great texture and makes it almost like indulging in a warm, gooey cookie or brownie!
    - Instead of using creamers with artificial sugar or a ton of chemicals, I put a little unsweetened vanilla almond milk in my coffee, along with a packet of Truvia all natural zero calorie sweetener!
    - I make homemade veggie dip... use plain greek yogurt and about 2 Tbsp. of one of the Hidden Valley Ranch powder packets. Mixing it with the greek yogurt instead of mayo or sour cream cuts out so much fat and so many calories, and it tastes delicious!
    - Along those same lines, top baked potatoes or tacos with a Tbsp. of plan greek yogurt instead of sour cream

I love looking up healthy food hacks on PInterest when I'm baking as well! You can use things like diet soda, greek yogurt, canned pumpkin, avacodo, and bananas in place of a lot of the unhealthier ingredients such as butter or lard, and of course using whole wheat flours is always a god option for baking as well!
  • prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Not sure if hack, but I occasionally put soy sauce on rice to give it some extra flavor.
  • AndyCool22
    AndyCool22 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    following the directions to use applesauce in baking mixes in place of eggs or oil -- be careful though -- one time my g/f replaced the eggs AND oil in brownies with applesauce and ended up with a tray of burnt fudgelike bricks
  • KristinaG_is_losing_it
    Options

- Warming Quest bars (or whatever protein bar you eat) up in the microwave for about 7 seconds gives them a great texture and makes it almost like indulging in a warm, gooey cookie or brownie!

- Along those same lines, top baked potatoes or tacos with a Tbsp. of plan greek yogurt instead of sour cream

[/quote]

+1 for the greek yogurt and quest bars definitely! I do turkey tacos with big leaves of romaine instead of flour tortillas with ground turkey, salsa, greek yogurt, a lil cheese. Tastes so good.

I also like putting mini chocolate chips in my greek yogurt (dannon light & fit is 80 calories and 12g of protein) I like the strawberry and raspberry and its good if you put the chips in and stir it up and stick it in the freezer for a bit too.
  • jetortola
    jetortola Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Bump to follow these great ideas!

I use my nutribullet mill blade to turn rolled oats into oat flour as a substitute for white flour in baking (works especially well for muffins or pancakes)... sometimes I'll throw some flax seeds to the blend as well.

Not sure if this is a hack exactly, but I added an egg (beaten) to my microwave oatmeal this morning, and used 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk + water as the liquid -- then topped it off with 1/2 cup vanilla greek yogurt -- for a fast protein & flavour packed breakfast following my morning workout (I would have added fruit, but I already ate a 1/2 banana before my workout).
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    Leaving the seed in your avocado will keep it from browning.

You can wrap your celery in foil and it will keep it crisper longer.

Add a paper towel to your opened bag of salad or wrap around your fresh herbs and it will keep them from getting Slimmy.

Mushrooms will last longer in the fridge if you put them in a brown paper bag.
  • rwcw89
    Options
    - I buy unsweetened Greek yogurt and add in about a tsp. of either maple syrup or organic, raw honey and just a tiny sprinkle of cinnamon! Tastes so good!
    - Instead of using creamers with artificial sugar or a ton of chemicals, I put a little unsweetened vanilla almond milk in my coffee, along with a packet of Truvia all natural zero calorie sweetener!
    - I make homemade veggie dip... use plain greek yogurt and about 2 Tbsp. of one of the Hidden Valley Ranch powder packets. Mixing it with the greek yogurt instead of mayo or sour cream cuts out so much fat and so many calories, and it tastes delicious!

I love looking up healthy food hacks on PInterest when I'm baking as well! You can use things like diet soda, greek yogurt, canned pumpkin, avacodo, and bananas in place of a lot of the unhealthier ingredients such as butter or lard, and of course using whole wheat flours is always a god option for baking as well!

I gotta try the warming bars, never thought of that. And the yogurt. Hmm
  • rwcw89
    Options
    andycool22 wrote: »
    following the directions to use applesauce in baking mixes in place of eggs or oil -- be careful though -- one time my g/f replaced the eggs AND oil in brownies with applesauce and ended up with a tray of burnt fudgelike bricks

Haha lol sounds like something I would
    Do
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I throw in some split peas with brown rice when cooking it, roughly a 1:3 ratio, using just a tiny bit more water than I would for the rice alone.

Drastically increases protein and fiber content but cooking time/method, price and taste are the same as rice alone. Doesn't work with white rice though, it cooks too quickly and the peas will still be hard.
  • jetortola
    jetortola Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    tat2cookie wrote: »
    Add a paper towel to your opened bag of salad or wrap around your fresh herbs and it will keep them from getting Slimmy.

Similarly -- I soak grapes, whole strawberries, any prepped/cut veggies and leafy greens in a water/vinegar solution. Drain/rinse and store in a container lined with paper towel. The paper towel retains moisture (its turned limp kale crispy again) but also keeps things from getting soggy. My grapes and strawberries last MUCH longer as well.