Totally snapped today. : (

Options
I was on a winning streak. But yesterday, on the holiday, I ate a huge bfast and lunch in restaurants, so I ate almost nothing for dinner. Thinking I was doing a good thing, I ate almost nothing for bfast today nor lunch to make up for yesterday's calories...and then, at 4:30 PM, I became blindingly, illogically hungry and...ate everything in sight. Weird stuff - plantains fried with chili powder, half a pita and an entire batch of cottage cheese pancakes. (I didn't even realize I had the ingredients to make those!) Like I went into a snowstorm or something and just emerged a few minutes ago. Weird.

OK, note to self: tomorrow, go back to small, constant, high protein quality meals.

Yikes! Severe "make up" calorie restriction doesn't work so good after all.

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    yeah, exactly for this reason, best thing imo when you have a day you go over is just start again the next day like nothing happened (foodwise, if you want to throw in an extra workout no big)
  • MaVieEntiere
    MaVieEntiere Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    This has totally been something I've done before. Ugh.
  • hncary
    hncary Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Its okay to enjoy the holidays and not punish yourself. One day will not hurt you and you don't need to try to make up for it by eating less all week long. Enjoy your holiday and then get right back at it the next day. I've definitely made this mistake before and I feel your pain. Don't beat yourself up- you've got this ;)
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Just remember we didn't gain all the weight by eating too much for one day. So if you get out of your usual pattern one day get back in the next. If I am making up for a bad day I try not to decrease more than 100 or 200 calories a day and actually would rather just try to make up as much as possible with exercise. My son and I went on a long walk/run Sunday between breakfast and lunch, which helped keep me in my calorie zone.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to make up (or plan ahead) by eating 1-200 calories less per day over an entire week; it's usually too big of a deficit to try and conquer it in one day, and as you found out the severe restriction can lead to binging.
  • thatguynick
    thatguynick Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You can't really make up for excess calories, so don't starve yourself thinking you're balancing out. That's what leads to the overeating. Each day is a new day, treat it as such. We take this journey 24 hours at a time.
  • CaliforniaRower
    CaliforniaRower Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    You can't really make up for excess calories, so don't starve yourself thinking you're balancing out. That's what leads to the overeating. Each day is a new day, treat it as such. We take this journey 24 hours at a time.

Thanks a lot everyone, esp @thatguynick. And yeah, I know you're all correct - if I had gone down just by 100-200 calories Monday, I wouldn't have snapped that night. Thanks for the support, everyone!
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    I had 16 donuts today. They were tasty. I think I'm going to be over on calories.
  • cj94404
    cj94404 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    DYELB wrote: »
    I had 16 donuts today. They were tasty. I think I'm going to be over on calories.

Glad you enjoyed them!