Need help with macros!

Options
So I'm new to this community thing on here. My store is kind of having a biggest loser comp with fat loss percentage.. This is my motivator! :p I'm usually good about eating pretty healthy, but I hear a lot about macros. I've tried looking up what I should be eating carb, protein, fat wise.. But it's all overwhelming. What's a good balance for fat loss while I'm working out for an hour 4 times a week at minimum?

Replies

• hncary
    hncary Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    There are some really good videos on youtube about figuring out your macros that will explain it a lot better than I think I can type it. I suggest checking them out. It will take a bit of time and a small amount of math to figure out your macros, but its pretty easy. Good luck!
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    You want to make sure you're getting adequate protein when you're losing weight. Set your protein to .8-1 gram per pound of goal weight (not current weight). This will come up as a percent when you use MFP. Split the remaining caloriea between carbs and fat based on preference. See how you feel and adjust accordingly.

For the most part the importance of specific macros is blown out of proportion. For weight loss calories are top priority. Eat at a deficit, get adequate protein and eat a variety of nutrient-dense foods and you'll be fine for both weight loss and health.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    You want to make sure you're getting adequate protein when you're losing weight. Set your protein to .8-1 gram per pound of goal weight (not current weight). This will come up as a percent when you use MFP. Split the remaining caloriea between carbs and fat based on preference. See how you feel and adjust accordingly.

For the most part the importance of specific macros is blown out of proportion. For weight loss calories are top priority. Eat at a deficit, get adequate protein and eat a variety of nutrient-dense foods and you'll be fine for both weight loss and health.

This. Macros are highly overrated for the majority of people
  • kalamitykate83
    kalamitykate83 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    It depends on your weight, height etc really but I'm 5ft 6 and weigh 66kg, and mine are 49g fat, 110g carbs and 146g protein ... I don't always meet those numbers exacxtly, but there or thereabouts! I've found macros really good, but I'm looking to tone up and build strength more than weight loss, although in the past 12 weeks doing it this way I have lost 12lbs and my body fat has dropped.
  • mikkikaykay32
    Options
    Okay! Thanks guys. I think I'm headed in the right direction now (:
  • vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Don't over think it -- easy example 1g of protein per pound of lean mass. Then .5 g of fat per pound of body weight . The rest will be carbs .. According to the Cals you that you will need to lose or gain . Depending on your goals
  • Garebearrr
    Garebearrr Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Agree with the roughly 1g of protein per lean body mass. Personally I like to start out at 45% carbs, 30% protein, 25% fat. Even going to 35-40% carbs with upping the protein and fat to really try to lean out. Test the macros percent for a week and record measurements, then switch the percentages and record results for next week and figure out what your body likes. The general rule is keeping protein higher and fat between 20-35% then fill the rest in with carbs since carbs are easy to consume. Also make minimal adjustments, slowly, allow your body to adapt. Otherwise your body will spiral and cravings and energy will be all over the place in the beginning. So if you're use to consuming 55% carbs, drop it to 50% one week, then 45% the other week.

You can also carb cycle, meaning on days you're doing high cardio, you can drop your carb ratio to optimize fat loss and increase fat/proteins to meet calorie goals for the day, when lifting you would want to have the higher carb percentages of 45-50% for instance to gain muscle mass since muscle is amino acids (protein) but also glucose (carbs).
  • mikkikaykay32
    Options
    gparfitt09 wrote: »
    Agree with the roughly 1g of protein per lean body mass. Personally I like to start out at 45% carbs, 30% protein, 25% fat. Even going to 35-40% carbs with upping the protein and fat to really try to lean out. Test the macros percent for a week and record measurements, then switch the percentages and record results for next week and figure out what your body likes. The general rule is keeping protein higher and fat between 20-35% then fill the rest in with carbs since carbs are easy to consume. Also make minimal adjustments, slowly, allow your body to adapt. Otherwise your body will spiral and cravings and energy will be all over the place in the beginning. So if you're use to consuming 55% carbs, drop it to 50% one week, then 45% the other week.

You can also carb cycle, meaning on days you're doing high cardio, you can drop your carb ratio to optimize fat loss and increase fat/proteins to meet calorie goals for the day, when lifting you would want to have the higher carb percentages of 45-50% for instance to gain muscle mass since muscle is amino acids (protein) but also glucose (carbs).

Thank you! That was very helpful with the carb cycling. I've been doing about 45-50% carbs. So far it's been alright. (:
  • Garebearrr
    Garebearrr Posts: 41 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    [/quote] Thank you! That was very helpful with the carb cycling. I've been doing about 45-50% carbs. So far it's been alright. (: [/quote]

Great job! Personally 50% of carbs was too high for me I wouldn't lean out as much as I'd like. If you aren't seeing the results you want then just message me and I can try to help more :)
  • cms0417
    cms0417 Posts: 13
    Options
    I'm starting out on IIFYM too! This was extremely helpful! :)