Training for a sub 2 hour half-marathon

Options
2»

Replies

• joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks....I went out today for 3.5 miles at a lower intensity and kept my HR monitor on to keep it in the 160's, and I was like a 10:16 pace, and I felt incredibly terrible after the run....not because of the time, but "felt" incredibly terrible. Was odd.

I'm going to buy the 80/20 book.

As for HR if I went by 220-age I would be at 184 for a max heart rate.....I get to 130 walking and my resting is 55, so I've got to figure out my MHR if I'm going to do this....doing Insanity it got over 200 at times.
  • teacton11
    teacton11 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Wait, your resting heart rate is 55 and just walking shoots it up to 130?
  • joehempel
    Options
    teacton11 wrote: »

Probably a faster walk than a stroll, but yeah, it hovers around 120-130 when walking on most hrms I've used. Always been like that
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

this! thats seems crazy. my resting is 57 i have to be jogging for a while before it evens breaks 120

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

Mine is somewhat similar.

OP, I'm here to lurk. I love listening to Carson, Lporter, et al discuss this stuff. They're great people to listen and learn from
  • joehempel
    edited April 2015
    Options
    dawnna76 wrote: »

this! thats seems crazy. my resting is 57 i have to be jogging for a while before it evens breaks 120

I used to be really worried about that, but then Ingot checked out, and nothing abnormal was found.

Let me clarify that most of my runs, even at a fast pace hover between 175-185.

Today I peaked at 172 up a hill bit was 60 seconds slower in pace.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    My resting is around 64 and any running quickly puts me over 130. The 220 - age formula doesn't work at all for me. Don't know my exact Max HR, but it looks to be high 180's, though the formula would tell you about 176.

I read Mark's 80/20 book and wholeheartedly agree on the "train slow to get faster" idea. Still have to fight to slow myself down, but I'm getting there.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    joehempel wrote: »

Probably a faster walk than a stroll, but yeah, it hovers around 120-130 when walking on most hrms I've used. Always been like that
    What that likely indicates is that your aerobic system has a huge margin for improvement. That might be expected if you have always trained fast before.

Walking at 4mph my HR is around 82 on level ground

• joehempel
    Options
    Hmm.....interesting. We'll see what happens! I'm training differently so I'm hoping that I can do it....4.5 months away!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

Mine is somewhat similar.

OP, I'm here to lurk. I love listening to Carson, Lporter, et al discuss this stuff. They're great people to listen and learn from

Aw, Thanks Lishie. This site has been so informative to me. Pretty much just parroting everything I learned here!