To You Weighlifters Out There...

Options
I am a beginner with the weight training. Tips appreciated.

Here is my first question. I like to walk on the treadmill for about an hour each day for reduction purposes. But I want to also lift on those same days. Would it be okay to break walking session in half - walk 30 minutes, do 30 min strength training, and then finish up with 30 minutes walking?

Pros? Cons?

If weightlifters would friend me, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Replies

• LiftHeavyWeights
    LiftHeavyWeights Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I found if I had a protein drink I avoided losing muscle. From my research & experimentation I found it was better to keep the sessions 45 minutes or under.
  • ajstaudt
    ajstaudt Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    30 min walking pre/post lift sounds good for your warm-up/cool down. Just make sure you also warm up the muscles you intend to work in your lifts, especially if you intend to lift heavy; a couple sets using smaller weights and/or body weight (push ups, pull ups, dips etc.) should do the trick.

As for weights, try to find one's that allow you to preform 8-12 reps per set; if you cannot perform 8 reps using good form, lower the weight; vice versa if you can perform more than 12. Other than that, find a good program that meets your goals and stick to it; I hear the "new rules" book provides some good ones for women looking to get into lifting. Good luck and stay motivated, I promise you're going to love the changes you see once you incorporate heavy lifting into your fitness routine!

And make sure you get in that protein asap post-lift, right after your 30-min post lift walk is still within the window of opportunity for optimal muscle recovery.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    If I got too tired to continue, I'd rather be on a treadmill than be struggling with a 100 pound barbell over my chest.

I'd do maybe 5 or 10 minutes on the treadmill to warm up, do your strength training, then finish the rest of your treadmill afterwards. If you're too tired from lifting, it wouldn't be a disaster to skip the treadmill, or cut it short.
  • StrongFitSexy
    Options
    If I were you I would walk 10-15 minutes to warm up your muscles then weight lift for 30 to 45 minutes then do 30 minutes more on treadmill and that would be fine. It's very similar from what you said but the difference is that you want to keep all your strength for lifting that's why in my opinion 30 minutes walking is too
    Long before u start lifting.
  • lurcstet
    lurcstet Posts: 77
    Options
    Some good advise here kate. Go for a 15 min walk warm up, then 40 to 45 min weight training, then 15 min walk after.

As already stated make sure you get a pre and post protein meal.

Think about what you want to achieve and plan your training. Most people starting with weights go for full body workouts, where you do one excersise, normally 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps for each muscle group. So this would be chest, back, shoulders, biceps, triceps, legs and core.

Find excersise's that train each of these muscles and try them out. One of the biggest mistakes most people make is to ramp up the weight from the start. Learn the excercise first, it is imperative that you get your form right first... once your form is right and you performing each excercise correctly then you can up your weights. You want to be aiming to get to between 8 and 10 reps before you cannotlift anymore in that set. If you go over ten then your weight is to low.

Look at you tube to learn different excercise's foreach of the goups. and never be afraid to ask people for help...
  • KindleKate
    KindleKate Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I'm getting ready to do my workout now (this after going out with my family to dinner! - but I was good!).

I will try the 15 minutes on the tm first, and then try for 45 min lifting, and then 30 min back on tm (if my energy doesn't desert me!).

I need to incorporate a protein drink, I think. Guess there is a trip to the store tomorrow in my future.
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Also be sure to stay hydrated when weight lifting... Learned the hard way what it was like to have a cramp in my arm with 90lbs dumbbells over my head... Yikes!
  • KindleKate
    KindleKate Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The water tip is a good one. Since I've started exercising, I sometimes wake up with a muscle cramp in my calf. Either not enough water or potassium, I guess.
  • LuckyFur
    LuckyFur Posts: 96
    Options
    If I got too tired to continue, I'd rather be on a treadmill than be struggling with a 100 pound barbell over my chest.

I'd do maybe 5 or 10 minutes on the treadmill to warm up, do your strength training, then finish the rest of your treadmill afterwards. If you're too tired from lifting, it wouldn't be a disaster to skip the treadmill, or cut it short.

Haha! This is hilarious, but the barbell weighs 45 lbs! why on earth would you think a beginner would be using a lot of weight?
  • genchan
    genchan Posts: 28
    Options
    Damn...some of you are not really fanatics. I spend 4-6 hrs at the gym every other day just knocking it out like crazy. But plenty of water is a must. Your blood cells need to transport those nutrients to certain areas of your body as quickly as possible for it to function. Of course if you sweat is good too as it keeps your body cool as well as getting rid of the toxins in your body. Remember to eat the right stuff before working out other wise you'll feel like caca. Of course, remember to eat afterwards too so the body can replenish. Start out slow, and little at a time. I didn't just went straight into 4-6 hours of a workout, that took time when I've started out with baby steps. Yes, I have no life. LOL
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Haha! This is hilarious, but the barbell weighs 45 lbs! why on earth would you think a beginner would be using a lot of weight?

I don't know. Maybe confusion about the metric system?
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options

I've only been lifting for 9/10 weeks and I bench 80lbs?? :huh: It's about the weight being heavy FOR THEM. thats when you get results.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Damn...some of you are not really fanatics. I spend 4-6 hrs at the gym every other day just knocking it out like crazy. But plenty of water is a must. Your blood cells need to transport those nutrients to certain areas of your body as quickly as possible for it to function. Of course if you sweat is good too as it keeps your body cool as well as getting rid of the toxins in your body. Remember to eat the right stuff before working out other wise you'll feel like caca. Of course, remember to eat afterwards too so the body can replenish. Start out slow, and little at a time. I didn't just went straight into 4-6 hours of a workout, that took time when I've started out with baby steps. Yes, I have no life. LOL

In...

...because 4-6 hrs at the gym every other day.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

For what purpose?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Here is my first question. I like to walk on the treadmill for about an hour each day for reduction purposes. But I want to also lift on those same days. Would it be okay to break walking session in half - walk 30 minutes, do 30 min strength training, and then finish up with 30 minutes walking?

Pros? Cons?

If your focus is on lifting that day, then your focus should be on lifting. Do a short amount of cardio to warm up - 10mins or so, then do your lifting routine (I would make it 45 mins - hour) and then do some cardio after if you wish but limit it to about half an hour.
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options

For what purpose?

Because they have no life. :wink:
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Do you also walk outside of the gym?
    If you are sedentary, then I can see how you'd like to walk every day to increase your calories burned. I walk 50 minutes each day to and from work on top of that 20 minutes to and from gym. Walking is very low impact so it should not interfere with lifting as long as you are not doing some crazy incline or speed walking.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    What lifting program are you going to follow? I would suggest a shorter but more intense warm up - 5-10 minutes run/elliptical then WT and cardio after if you still have juice. As WT intensity improves the cardio part will drop - if not, you just are not taking the WT seriously enough. Do cardio either hours later or the next day. WT should leave you spent. Your mileage may vary, but my current lifting leaves me weak for about an hour.

There is absolutely no need to do 3-4 hours of gym time, much less 4-6, if you do a normal program and aren't training as an endurance athlete.
  • Voserichard
    Options

Pros? Cons?

Your warmup can be anything, you basically just want to warm up your blood and warm up hr muscles as well. For example my warm ups are stretching and I so my abs first thing. After that I head into my heavy lifting nice and warm.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Dear KindleKate,

An hour is a good amount of time to workout. I start with 5 minutes on the rowing machine, which warms me up in both upper and lower body. Then do 40-45 minutes weight training and finish with 10 minutes or so walking on the treadmill at 6kph on a 2-2.5 incline.

On your non-lifting days, a 30-60 minute walk is perfect.

Lifting weights will change your body in a way that just walking by itself will not do. Good for you in making the change.

Also, if you like Kindle - why not buy some books like DROP TWO SIZES or THE NEW RULES OF LIFTING FOR WOMEN, or others like it.. THE BODY FAT SOLUTION is another great book that comes to mind, which all have great weight lifting routines and tips for diet.