Weight Gain after exercise ?

Options
I had a heavy Track session last night. Multi laps, sprints, etc etc followed by a big plate of pasta when I got home. This was my first track session with a new running club ive joined. My legs were a bit tender after the session this morning.

Anyhoo's, I weighed my self and ive put just under a Kilo (2.20lbs) on. Could this be down to water retention in tired muscles is that possible ?

I have been careful with my calories all week and had lost 1kg last week but put it back on this week. Not Happy :(

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Sore muscles:
    Inflammation, water weight

Big plate of pasta:
    Weight of the food in your system
    Probably replenishing your glycogen stores which also adds water

Just keep in mind that sudden jumps in weight out of all proportion to your calorie intake CANNOT be fat gain.
  • sknicolaou
    sknicolaou Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Remember muscle is heavier than fat, you have possibly gained muscle mass
  • neogramps
    neogramps Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    sknicolaou wrote: »

Cardio does not add muscle, especially when on a deficit. Nor do you add 1kg of muscle overnight.
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    sknicolaou wrote: »

Ignore this nonsense

• michux62
    michux62 Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I had the same issue. Cheers for the answers guy's.
  • mjjhorto
    mjjhorto Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have similar experiences...where my weight loss stalls after I am active.
  • samistarz
    samistarz Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    this always happens to me. I've increased my exercise and food intake has stayed the same yet I've put on 1lbs in 'weight' each day for two days. I don't worry about it as my general progress goes up and down but always further down than it was. It's just the way the body works sometimes :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    as mentioned water retention etc.

I always wait to weigh myself after a rest day...so I worked out last night no getting on the scale today.

• snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuations due to changes in glycogen stores and muscle inflammation are part of running and track training. Track days use up your stored glycogen as primary fuel. Make sure that you are doing a comfortable super easy warm up and cool down to promote fat burning as well on track days.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Everyone seemed to hit it.

I run 3 days a week, and I'm always a pound or so higher the day after. It's normal.

I'm in maintenance now and weigh daily to check trends, my progress is up and down and has been since I started.

Normal!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It's water retention.
  • DeeTee68
    DeeTee68 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Ok good to hear thanks for replies everyone. It was a full out session , well for me anyway as ive not done track training for 32 years :o I didn't know I could still sprint. Thanks again.
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get plenty of rest, especially after a particularly tough work-out. The inflammation of your muscles is also part of the body healing and rebuilding itself after you've torn it down a little. It needs rest to complete this process and will rebuild itself stronger than it was before. I've quickly made huge gains in endurance by resting as long as a week after killer work-outs.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Word. I just came off a deload week and have been lifting a couple days. I might not even step on the scale. I know I will be up about 2 lbs.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can easily retain water from that. Also, I always weigh more after a night of pasta even if I was within calories. You can retain from that too. No worries. It comes off.
  • DeeTee68
    DeeTee68 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Good stuff that's what I wanted to hear, thanks all