5-HTP Supplement

Options
Hi All,

I've recently started taking 5-HTP supplements as I had been battling with poor sleep, sugar craving in the evenings (I don't have a sweet tooth!!), periods were all over the place, early symptoms of fibromyalgia, tension headaches, anxiety and general feeling of malaise. I still had the winter blues and needed a general pick me up. I also visited a dietician for some diet advice and went home to try and put it all together. Here's what I discovered:

1. Eating 1200 calories per day, in the long term, causes me to gain weight. I have small successes but 1500 per day is better suited to me.
2. General Practitioners, as a rule, do not test for low serotonin levels. All my symptoms were pointing towards low levels! (Keep in mind this is self diagnosis here!!!)
3. 5-HTP works in the brain and central nervous system by increasing the production of the chemical serotonin. Serotonin is the HAPPY HORMONE! (It's also an appetite suppressant!!!)
4. 5-HTP cannot be bought over the counter in Ireland. Like St Johns Wart, the Medical Council lobbied for 5-HTP to no longer be sold over the counter. Prescription only!!! Luckily, it's not illegal to import from UK so have been able to buy online for pretty good prices. There are some pretty dodgy brands but after a lot of research, reading reviews and generally "digging" online, I decided on Health Spark.

So, here's how it went. I started taking 100mg of 5-HTP at bedtime. This gave me cramps. The packaging said to take on an empty tummy at bedtime but after reading other people experiences and some online doctor's suggestion, it's better to take on a full stomach, preferably after dinner in the evening. I take 325mg of Iron in the morning and throughout the day I take a Vitamin B complex supplement and Evening Primrose. Within 72 hours I was sleeping through the night. A first in .......................... well I can't remember!!! I feel less anxious and my sugar cravings are zero. My winters blues are gone, my periods are beginning to come back in line and I've noticed a marked reduction in tension headaches. I'm not taking 100mg with breakfast and 100mg with dinner. The recommendation is to take the 200mg for 6 weeks and then reduce back to 100mg. Increase again at the beginning of winter and play by ear.

I can't tell you how much this has changed my everyday life. I'm feeling more positive, I'm beginning to look to the future in a far more positive light, I'm not as "snappy" and for the first time in a very long time........................... I don't feel completely bonkers!!!! It's fair to say that I felt like I had a mild psychological issue but was too embarrassed or afraid to speak up. I was also worried that I was peri-menopausal (I'm 39) but blood test had ruled that out (for now!!)

I would be very interested to hear from anyone else that has used 5-HTP and how things worked out. I may be just in the honeymoon phase but I hope not. I'm hoping I've found the cause of all the crappy health issues I've had over the years!!!

Replies

• cmcdonald525
    cmcdonald525 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I took it for a little while about 6 years ago. I always heard it increased serotonin levels, gave you energy, and increased metabolism. I took it before going to my waitressing job on an empty stomach and downed it with an energy drink. Because of my horrible lifestyle choices back then, plus how dang busy I was, I never noticed a difference. However, if it works for you, wonderful!!!
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I took it for a while about 2 years ago. Not for anything to do with weight loss, but because I'd read it was helpful for Seasonal Affective Disorder because it increased serotonin levels, and I was really struggling with it that particular winter.

I felt like it helped a little bit with my depressed feelings, but that may have been more placebo effect than anything else.
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I tried 5=HTP a few times over the years, and I took it consistently for months at a time. It didn't do a thing for me. I tossed it out. Like most supplements (and I've tried and gone sour on them all) -- it is way oversold and makes promises it can't keep.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    http://examine.com/supplements/5-HTP
    I think that if taken with the correct protocol and for a person in need of the increased serotonin, it shows good resulting data. As for it's secondary effect in regards to diet, the suggested protocol is to "take with food as it increases satiety from food intake (rather than reducing appetite/hunger)."
  • KittyHeff
    KittyHeff Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    OK so it's a mixed bag of reactions. Just wondering have any of you seen any adverse side effects. I'm currently not experiencing anything negative but as PeachyPlum suggested I could be just experiencing a positive placebo effect.
  • KittyHeff
    KittyHeff Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Today is 25th May and I'm had an awful time with the serotonin supplements. The initial "honeymoon" phase was short lived. Stopped taking the supplements after 4 weeks. I felt nauseated, very agitated and had moments of blind rage for no apparent reason. They have gone in the bin to never be tried again!!!!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    KittyHeff wrote: »
    Today is 25th May and I'm had an awful time with the serotonin supplements. The initial "honeymoon" phase was short lived. Stopped taking the supplements after 4 weeks. I felt nauseated, very agitated and had moments of blind rage for no apparent reason. They have gone in the bin to never be tried again!!!!

Glad to hear this. Taking supplements that your doctor has not told you you need can be dangerous. Just because something is OTC does not mean it is safe.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,707 Member
    Options
    The majority of supplements on the market are severely unregulated. One could put anything in a supplement, call it what they want and make claims that don't even apply to them. Why? Because it's not regulated by the FDA. There are no real tests for purity, nor do they get pulled unless they are reported for health hazzards among a few hundred users.
    If you aren't getting the nutritional value you need from food and drink, that's where you should start and not a supplement.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png