Do you cut out certain foods for weight loss?

Options
I was thinking about changing up my diet a bit since my weight loss has been slowing down. One day I might not eat meat, and the next no processed foods (I only eat whole wheat anyways). Thoughts? Ideas? Do you do something similar?

Replies

• rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I have completely cut out sodas. It's been 5 months since I had them. I still eat processed foods tho I know too much of it is bad. It is important to know your limitations/ when to stop.

It's really up to you. Do anything that works for you. Good luck!
  • pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I havent cut anything out, as i know i would only end up craving them, and going nuts lol!. I just keep it all within my cals per day.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I only cut right back on things that I don't find fulfilling for the calories but haven't really cut anything out completely. I eat processed/pre packaged foods when I need convenience, I just choose the ones that fit my macro requirements
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I don't cut anything out. But if I don't have the calories available I'll choose between things - like do I want one chocolate biscuit, or two small plain ones. Or neither, and have one square of dark chocolate instead. Its about making the good choices, not cutting out anything. Unless its something you know you can't limit yourself on.
    If your weight loss has slowed - as it often does when you are near your target - try different exercise, or exercise at a different time to "surprise" your body.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Some people cut things some don't. Both can be successful.
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Ice Cream and Potato Chips
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Just Kale
  • ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I've not cut anything completely out of my diet. I have definitely reduced my consumption of a lot of unhealthy things, but I allow myself anything as long as it fits in my goals.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Only drinking my calories (full sugared sodas/juices...I have alcohol about twice a year so that's not an issue). Everything else is what I've always eaten, just less of it.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Nope, just reduce them to fit into my day. Lost 17lbs since December, 1lb less than goal weight currently. Don't make it harder than it has to be. Just hit your calorie goal and move a bit more. And be patient and consistent.
  • joshuapowell1989
    joshuapowell1989 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've reduced them, for example eating the recommended serving of 12 Giant Milky Bar Buttons instead of the whole bag which is what I was doing before! :neutral: I have kinda cut out Salami, as I find it very hard to limit myself with Salami, and for the amount of calories etc I'd rather not risk it
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    jangus9416 wrote: »
    I was thinking about changing up my diet a bit since my weight loss has been slowing down. One day I might not eat meat, and the next no processed foods (I only eat whole wheat anyways). Thoughts? Ideas? Do you do something similar?

I change up my diet from time to time if I think I'm not being varied enough. I gave up meat during Lent (well, not fish) because I wanted to try to force myself to think more about non meat protein sources, like beans (ended up not doing the best job at this, though--ate lots of fish and tofu), as well as because it's a traditional Lenten thing. I give up added sugar (or sweets) from time to time to try and expand my ideas of how to use extra calories. I've given up buying lunch for a period of time to force myself to pre-cook stuff and not fall into a pattern of buying it multiple times per week. I don't particularly think it helps weight loss but it can help my motivation sometimes or just help me make my diet better or more interesting going forward.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    Just Kale

agreed..that stuff is nasty..ick

• maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    No I do not but I do eat smaller portions and ensure it fits within my calorie allotment
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I recently read an article that suggested it was easier to be "true" to a diet when you change things up because old, ingrained habits are hard to tweak. So you may make a plan, but are less likely to stick to it. According to the article you're more successful if you create NEW habits. No idea if it's true, but it's an interesting idea. When I lost I made some huge new habits and eliminated several life long old ones.
    As for "cutting" foods: I do try to limit some hyper palatable foods that I find challenging to eat in true moderation. So I don't generally keep tortilla chips in the house. Nachos are a restaurant only food, and only once in a while.
    And, I limit the added sugars in foods because I find compliance easier with less extra sugar, and my grains are always 100% whole grain and higher in fiber because I find that for me that helps as well. Basically, I try to eat more nutrient dense whole foods and less of the heavily refined (usually carb dense) convenience foods.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Sabine's post reminds me that I do substitute foods for ones that I think have more positives if there's no real cost to me of doing so. For example, I haven't given up refined grains and will eat really good bread that happens to be white in a restaurant or order pasta (which is generally white) on occasion, but on the whole I like the whole grain version just as well, so that's what I have at home (and I never have bread at home since I like almost everything I'd eat with it as well or better without it--like burgers without buns or almost anything on its own rather than in a sandwich). I don't consider this cutting things out, since I never want the things I am not eating and I eat them on occasion outside of my house, but it's an easy way to save calories.

Similarly, there's no juice I prefer to the whole fruit and I prefer whole fruits for the fiber, so I don't drink juice.
  • Maldives3319
    Maldives3319 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yep - Pasta, bread, cakes etc....

Just stuff I am happy to do without.

I wouldn't want to cut anything I'm too fond of, or crave, as this would probably not be sustainable.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I can eat what I want, but I choose not to eat certain foods on any given day because it doesnt give me the nutrutional hit or value for calories I might want. For other foods, then I just eat less of them. Bread these days is more of a treat becayse its not really filling for the calories.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yep - Pasta, bread, cakes etc....

Just stuff I am happy to do without.

I wouldn't want to cut anything I'm too fond of, or crave, as this would probably not be sustainable.

Off topic but your name caught my attention as my husband and I are looking at taking a vacation in Maldives...over the water bungalows....
  • baodom10
    baodom10 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have cut down on breads, fried foods, and sugars. I do not drink soda. I do have 1 to 2 cheat meals a week (not day but meal) and if I want a soda or pizza I will have it. Its easier to stay on the no sugar and grains when you can have a cheat meal. I have lost weight and feel so much better cutting out these things. But I am having to learn to be creative in what I make.