Strength Exercises at home?

Options
Hi all,
I want to start early building up more muscle while I do mostly cardio,also to try and prevent much loose skin etc.
I live on the country and there's no gym near me so I'm trying to work out what I can do instead.
So,I tried this Yoga thing everyone is talking about. It hurt for 3 days after. I only did it for about 10 Minutes (it was titled "beginners")

I`m around 240lbish so I think yoga might be a bit much for starters?

I searched the forum but couldn't quite find the right thing.
Is there any weights I could buy to use at home & are versatile ? I have limited space so I can't get a bench or giant barbell :(

If you have any videos,gifs,websites, amazon links I would be super grateful!

P.S yes,I am a noob, and I know nothing - please enlighten.

Replies

• BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
  • mikevandewetering
    mikevandewetering Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Start with body weight exercises like squats. You can also try lifting heavy things like tires and other stuff. Also google something called urban fitness, it shows some awesome stuff that you can try almost everwhere.
  • Jessikin13
    Jessikin13 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I bought the select-tech weights from Bowflex. They're about $300 on Amazon so they're a little pricey but I've found them to be a good investment
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    If you have iPad iPhone try applications such as NTC - Nike training club, popsugar excellent exercises for beginners, step by step.

For yoga I like yoga.com on the iPad. They have different levels for beginners too.

As a beginner - don't worry if you cannot do like what the video show, for any of the exercises, eg, they say star jump for 20 times, and you can't jump 20, or you can't jump as high, do what you can, push yourself a little more the next time, and a little more the 3rd time. It takes time to build stamina, flexibility.

Patience, or you may injure yourself easily.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    fitness blender has lots of bodyweight routines, I am my own gym, convict conditioning etc.

dumbbells work well too, you can get those ones where a dial changes the weight.

I think you would be surprised tho, I have about 1/3 of a room in my house for my weights and I have 2 barbells, a squat rack and a bench in it along with my pantry 2 shelves, a desk, a wine fridge.
  • jbgibso3
    jbgibso3 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have found a lot of neat body weight exercises on www.popsugar.com/fitness.

Also, look at Pinterest. I know it sounds odd, but they have a lot of neat fitness posts that will keep you from getting bored with fitness.

Good luck!
  • TechOutside
    TechOutside Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have fitness bands that go in my travel bag that I use in hotel rooms, I really think you will need to start small, and work your way into larger things if you don't have experience with weights.

Knowing how your body responds and obtaining proper form is crucial to beginning with weights without injuries. High reps slowly with low weights just to feel your muscles moving and did I say proper form again?

You don't need anything really to do most core exercises, I applaud you for being on the right track, stay motivated, read the success stories here, and keep your eye on the prize!
  • TechOutside
    Options
    Here is a great starter kit for someone just getting into weights:

Black Mountain Products Resistance Band Set with Door Anchor, Ankle Strap, Exercise Chart, and Resistance Band Carrying Case
    by Black Mountain
    Link: http://amzn.com/7245456313

Very similar to the kit I use in a hotel room.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I have a few free weights and use the Workout Trainer app.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Agfadoc wrote: »

Black Mountain Products Resistance Band Set with Door Anchor, Ankle Strap, Exercise Chart, and Resistance Band Carrying Case
    by Black Mountain

I have this, and it is great! Takes up minimal space and does a better job at strength training than I would have expected. Works well for days I don't have the time to get to/from the gym.
  • TechOutside
    edited April 2015
    Options
    amcook4 wrote: »
    Agfadoc wrote: »

by Black Mountain

I have this, and it is great! Takes up minimal space and does a better job at strength training than I would have expected. Works well for days I don't have the time to get to/from the gym.

Yeah, mine packs in my suitcase very well and I have up to 90 lbs of bands. Sometimes wonder about the door frames, but they are durable and the versatility of the number of exercises is amazing.

I also pack 2 paper plates, and do mountain climbers in the room sliding my feet with the plates across the carpet, something like this:
    http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/home-workout-challenge-your-muscles/slide/10

A couple sets of those with some planks will definitely replace the crummy hotel gym.
  • TechOutside
    Options
    Here is a pretty good video of what can be done

https://youtu.be/EvLCnPTx_QE
  • TechOutside
    Options
    Another good one, they will beat you up for free, other than the energy expended.
    https://youtu.be/HxeHJ490mes
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I hadn't seen the paper plates option before and I've been wondering how I could do things like this. Awesome!

I started with bodyweight exercises and now bought some cheap adjustable dumbbells from Walmart for $15. There is a total of 40 lbs of weight. I know I'll need more weight to lift eventually, but it has been a nice, affordable start. I'm slowly building up fitness items.
  • zikarra
    zikarra Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much ! :) I've been looking around a lot but wasn't familiar with items and terms.
    The elastics seem like a good option - Believe or not,I have an Ipad and Android devices and never thought about getting an App haha. How did this happen.

The Paper plates are nifty,but I need to wait a bit until I can do that. I'm quite strong but I can't hold myself up like that on my arms so I wouldn't be able to do that for longer than 2 minutes I think :(
  • ForStMicheal
    ForStMicheal Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    its surprising how taxing yoga can be if you've never done it. I'd recommend a suspension trainer for inexpensive, versatile home resistance equipment that takes up virtually no space.