Weigh-in?

Options
When is the best time to weigh in? I've heard two hours after waking up, with no food or liquids in your stomach. Is it true? And how often should I weigh in without feeling anxious?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I couldn't wait two hours with no food or liquids so that wouldn't work for me.

However I do it first thing in the morning right after I use the toilet....naked.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Best time to weigh is first thing in the morning, before food, after using the toilet. You'll get the most consistent readings that way.

As for how often you should weigh, that's entirely up to you. I weigh daily, some weigh weekly or monthly, others weigh multiple times a day, some don't weigh at all.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    First question: time does not matter but consistency does. So at the same place in your daily routine. For many, its after waking up/after using the bathroom/before eating or drinking anything.

Second question: depends on you. If the # on the scale is something you're emotionally tied to, weigh in 1-2 times a month. If you like stats and understand the # will fluctuate, weigh in daily. BUT if you weigh in daily only compare today's weighin to what you weighed a week or a month ago. Why? Because weight loss is about trends and day to day is too short-sighted to reveal a trend.
  • Acal01
    Acal01 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I heard that doing right after waking up will add you some pounds because we wake up swollen and our muscles are stiff and unloose.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Right after you wake up and use the bathroom. Some people need to eat breakfast or start their day right after, so they can't wait two hours.

If weighing yourself causes anxiety, I'd say no more than once a week.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I heard that doing right after waking up will add you some pounds because we wake up swollen and our muscles are stiff and unloose.

If I weigh myself on waking up after the toilet then again in an hour I am guaranteed the last weigh in (after an hour) I will weigh more...but that's me and my coffee.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Right when I wake up and use the bathroom for me.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Never heard this before, but true or not it doesn't matter. Consistency is the important thing in weight loss. If you weigh in at the same time in your routine, and you always have 1.5 pounds of added water weight - then it is not going to change your rate of loss.

The biggest factor that would alter your #s is weighing sometimes in clothes, sometimes naked. Sometimes before eating/drinking, sometimes after. Clothes can easily weigh 2-5 pounds depending on what & how much you're weighing. Food/drink can also add 2-5 pounds easily.