Fractional Plates

Options
I picked up a set of 8 1/2lb. plates from Amazon.

They're great! There's just enough there to get you to the next 2.5lb. plate if you can't quite make it there. They're useful on the bench press and overhead press, especially.

It's also nice to set a personal record every week even after things start getting heavy. I highly recommend it.

Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I use 1.25lb plates sometimes on my OHP if I am having trouble progressing. They tend to come in handy. I just hate bringing my own plates to the gym sometimes.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Couldn't agree more. 2.5kg increases in overhead press are a nightmare.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm going to need to invest- i can't break my benching PR at this point the 2.5's aren't cutting it. :(
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I'm going to need to invest- i can't break my benching PR at this point the 2.5's aren't cutting it. :(

That's what prompted me to buy them. I kept trying it with two 2.5's and had to keep taking them right back off.

The set was really pretty cheap - I found it for maybe $20? And I guess you can make your own by supergluing giant hardware store washers together but... nah. It came with eight plates, which would be exactly enough to switch out for two 2.5s.

It's nice to increase your bench press by a mere pound per week. And since each plate is only 1/2lb. they're easy to throw in your gym bag.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

I got mine on Amazon for $18. Totally worth the investment!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have the following plates

2.5lb
    7.5lb and

I have weighted collars that weight 3.5lbs together so 1.25lbs each and if I ever need something between I will get my husband to pick me up some big washers from his work or magnets to stick to my plates which can be bought at most big hardware stores like lowes etc.

There are ways around spending the money too...and this way you can bring washers/magnets if you ever decide to join a gym
  • JoRocka
    Options

That's what prompted me to buy them. I kept trying it with two 2.5's and had to keep taking them right back off.

The set was really pretty cheap - I found it for maybe $20? And I guess you can make your own by supergluing giant hardware store washers together but... nah. It came with eight plates, which would be exactly enough to switch out for two 2.5s.

It's nice to increase your bench press by a mere pound per week. And since each plate is only 1/2lb. they're easy to throw in your gym bag.

Yeah- it'll be a nice addition to have- and honestly I'll feel better- bench has a very hard line on 'failure' meaning- I'm fine I'm fine I'm fine I'm fine... boom - fail.

So I feel like my training struggles- because I can do a certain weight with great confidence but I can only move up by 2.5- and I know I hit that failure point quickly- and I lift alone- I'm not afraid to ask for help- but I cant' ask for help EVERY time I lift and my working weight is like 5 x 2- that's just annoying to other gym members.

So yeah-instead of new make up brushes- I'll probably pick these up instead. LOL
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I bought some 2.5lb ankle/ wrist wraps. Each one has five individual 0.5lb ingots in it, so you can adjust from 0.5lb up to 2.5lb for each wrap. I can wrap them on the BB and like them because they can also be used on dumbbell exercises (where no adjustable dumbbells) and things like dips.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Chains ala Westside also work well.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i don't think westside chains come in 1/2 lb increments.
  • keithcw_the_first
    Options
    Yeah I mean, chains would be nice but...
  • JoRocka
    Options

Chains are generally way over rated and mostly super loud. They would not do what I need them to in terms of incremental increase.

also- they are really annoying and while I"m a grade A jacka22- I'm not a big enough tool to want to use them.
  • keithcw_the_first
    Options
    [...]

also- they are really annoying and while I"m a grade A jacka22- I'm not a big enough tool to want to use them.

This, too. Mostly this.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options

Chains are generally way over rated and mostly super loud. They would not do what I need them to in terms of incremental increase.

Agreed. Some members asked about chains. For me, it's just another thing I'll have to put away because those are usually the members that leave crap lying around when no one is paying attention.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Lotta hate for the chains. Sorry to hear that your members are such azzholes.