Lower back pain, suggestions?

Options
2»

Replies

• crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    DaneanP wrote: »
    CJG how strong are your abs? I'm not a lifter but I work with postpartum women who are trying to get back in shape and they almost always complain of lower back pain because their abs have gotten weak and stretched out with the pregnancy. Hopefully full core work is part of your routine, but I thought I'd mention it as a possibility to your problems. Good luck!

I have ok abs, and my back will give before they do, but I'm potato shaped so I cans see definition!
    Im wondering if this is partially my pelvic floor muscles. Within a week of working out my...Ahh...other post partum issues had disappeared!
  • crazyjerseygirl
    Options
    DaneanP wrote: »
    CJG how strong are your abs? I'm not a lifter but I work with postpartum women who are trying to get back in shape and they almost always complain of lower back pain because their abs have gotten weak and stretched out with the pregnancy. Hopefully full core work is part of your routine, but I thought I'd mention it as a possibility to your problems. Good luck!

I have ok abs, and my back will give before they do, but I'm potato shaped so I cans see definition!
    Im wondering if this is partially my pelvic floor muscles. Within a week of working out my...Ahh...other post partum issues had disappeared!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    yin yoga or a stretched and balanced class.

This is a good idea! I can't afford any more classes, but I bet I can do some yoga at home. Are there any sites you know to be legit?

The usual disclosure: Please consult a medical professional before following my advice:

You can try:
    • Rody Yee's Back Care Yoga for Beginners: Amazing DVD, it's about $10 on Amazon.
    • Deep Stretch Yin Yoga with Mimi Solaire. Also on Amazon.

and I just got from the library (free!)
    • Yin & Yang Yoga with Simon Low

Yin yoga is usually slow paced and concentrated on stretching and deep movements.

Any exercise recommendations to do during and after healing totally depend on the cause of your pain:
    Do you have a pulled muscle?
    bulging disc?
    what's the cause? poor form lifting? weak abs)

For strengthening the core, I really like Pilates. But I really recommend that you get the pain under control before you attempt a new strengthening routine.

I have a ton of back issues (bulging discs throughout) I wish you a speedy recovery

The pain is lower than I am "used to". Below the small of the back, almost on hip level. I don't think it's a burst disk simply because my husband had one diagnosed and could barely walk. It tinged me when I stretch though once I loosen up I have full range of motion.

Stupid spine

sounds a little like your SI (sacroiliac joints) can be one or both. My husbands left one gets locked up and inflamed all the time. There are gentle ways to unlock and exercise this area but again you should see a professional first. Back pain is one of the number one reasons people call out of work (legitimately lol) in America, so nothing to F around with

• darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Obviously, as others have pointed out, you need to see a doctor to determine what is really happening. My lower back pain and muscle spasms were fortunately no more serious than alignment problems. Initial therapy with a chiropractor (now I just go in occasionally "as needed"), yoga, and core work took care of the bulk of my issues. I hope your issues are as readily resolved! Good luck!
  • crazyjerseygirl
    Options
    Part 1 was successful!
    Chatted with trainer, he tweaked my exercise & form and voila! No more achy then when I went in!
  • gagnon9691
    gagnon9691 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have had what sounds like the same back issues you have. We also have almost the same everything, height, weight, age.
    When my back starts to hurt, going from sitting to standing I always have to pause for a few seconds because it hurts to breath. Anyway, I don't have insurance so I did a bit of checking online and I decided to try some shoe inserts and some OTC medicine for back pain. The pain was gone the next day and I haven't had any issues since. It's only been a few weeks but for now I'm thinking it is working.
  • sst036
    sst036 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    You're going to get some benefit from glute activation exercises. Generally, people with switched off glutes have really tight hip flexors. You'll need to do some sort of hip flexor stretch to relax them a bit before moving onto some glute activation work. Bodyweight glute bridges, for example.

I'd check out this article:

https://www.t-nation.com/training/dispelling-the-glute-myth

(skip to the bit subtitled Phase One: Hip Flexor Flexibility and Glute Activation for what you're interested in)

If you do it the way he says, you'll reactivate your buns and learn to bring them into movements. That'll stop your lumbar spine compensating for stuff when it shouldn't.

In concert with the above, you should check out good sources online for form for the movements you are expected to perform. Make sure the trainer is aware of the issues you are having and have him/her watch you and correct accordingly. If they are unable/unwilling then walk away and don't look back.
    This is an awesome article! I suffer from lower back pain when using the leg press and I've had my PT check my form (weirdly, "it's perfect") but I just did those exercises and I can already feel it being the good loose - will have to do it after tomorrow's leg day too. Thanks for posting that!
    /hijack
  • crazyjerseygirl
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    You're going to get some benefit from glute activation exercises. Generally, people with switched off glutes have really tight hip flexors. You'll need to do some sort of hip flexor stretch to relax them a bit before moving onto some glute activation work. Bodyweight glute bridges, for example.

I'd check out this article:

https://www.t-nation.com/training/dispelling-the-glute-myth

(skip to the bit subtitled Phase One: Hip Flexor Flexibility and Glute Activation for what you're interested in)

If you do it the way he says, you'll reactivate your buns and learn to bring them into movements. That'll stop your lumbar spine compensating for stuff when it shouldn't.

In concert with the above, you should check out good sources online for form for the movements you are expected to perform. Make sure the trainer is aware of the issues you are having and have him/her watch you and correct accordingly. If they are unable/unwilling then walk away and don't look back.

So I just did these and it was all good till my toddler jumped on and shouted " GO HORSEY GO!!!"

So yeah, I'll try these again when he's asleep.