Replies

• dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ninav1980 wrote: »
    dieselbyte wrote: »
    ninav1980 wrote: »
    protein builds muscle, the more muscle you build, the more calories your body will naturally burn each day at rest. So in a round about way, it will aid in your weight loss. I aim to get at least 100 grams of protein in everyday in both supplements and real food. My go to shake is the 100 calorie premade muscle milk shake. Its sugar free and I get 15grams of protein. Its only an 8.2 oz drink which I prefer to those huge shakes. If you want to try a bar, Quest bars are very tasty and have a good protein/calorie ratio, plus low sugar

You would have to put on considerable muscle to connect those dots. Since the Op is in a deficit, she isn't putting on any muscle, unless they are newbie gains.

OP specifically asked if protein will aid in weight loss. The answer is no. Calories in vs out will determine weight loss/gain.

There is no need to drink protein within an hour of training. Overall protein intake for the day should be considered. Weight training isn't a magical tool to eat whatever you want. Will 100 calories from protein alone make you gain significant weight? No, but when you include everything else you eat for the day (including any added fats or carbs in the protein shake), if you are at a surplus you will gain weight, or at maintenance you will stall. Your trainer is probably a broscientist, and believes that if you don't pound protein directly after training you will ruin any muscle gain.

With that said, there is nothing wrong with replacing some calories with a shake. If you don't want to drink your calories, whole foods will do as well. Just make anything you change fit your overall macro and caloric goals.

The Op is in a deficit? Didnt see her mention that anywhere in the post.

protein builds muscle, the more muscle you build, the more calories your body will naturally burn each day at rest. So in a round about way, it will aid in your weight loss.

OP asked about weight loss. You need to be in a deficit to lose weight. Whose question were you anwering then?
  • Meggers003
    Meggers003 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has answered it's been a great help in figuring out what's best for me.

And for those who are wondering I am in calorie deficit- I don't eat my exercise calories and generally on a good day will average around 1300-1400 calories.

I can easily add a protein shake to the end of my day without going above my set calorie goal; I just wanted more information on whether or not it's truly beneficial

Again thanks everyone
  • ace314159
    ace314159 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm considering adding a protein shake after lifting or after long runs because I have noticed that after a hard work out my body is often screaming for extra calories that night and/or the next day. Tried using chicken and tuna as my protein directly after but that gets a little old and often doesn't get enough. But I think your body can tell you a little bit about whether you need it or not...mine has been telling me I need it so I'm going to start, but if you aren't seeing changes in appetite you may not need to.
  • dieselbyte
    Options
    ldeoprecor wrote: »
    There are tons of studies to indicate the benefits of post workout protein supplements. Haynes Cribb posted a study in 2006 "Effects of supplement timing and resistance exercise on skeletal muscle hypertrophy". The study lasted 22 weeks and followed two groups. One group took their protein in the morning and evening, and the other took the exact same amount post and pre workout. Those who took protein blends post work out saw increased LBM and decreased body fat. Both groups saw increased gains, but the post workout group demonstrated significantly greater gains.

There are numerous studies (sourced below) that show the effects that milk can have a post workout drink in terms of increasing LBM, strength, , muscle hypertrophy and decreases in body fat.

Wlkinson S, Tarnopolsky M- Consumption of fluid skim milk promotes greater muscle protein accretion after resistance exercise than does consumption of a isonitrogenous and isoenergectic soy-protein beverage. Am J Clin Nutr 2007

Rankin J, Goldman L- Effect of post exercise supplement consumption on adaptations to resistance training. AM J Clin Nutr- 2007

Josse A, Tang J- Body composition and strength changes in women with milk and resistance exercise. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2010

There are definite benefits to what your trainer is talking about. That's not to say that you take everything that they say as the truth, but what possible reason could they have for misleading a client?

And for those that bash the trainer (or trainers in general) as not knowing anything about nutrition....really? You're making this claim on MFP forums? With what credentials? And with what backing? I'll take a controlled study over what people claim to "know" on this forum any day.

What? Do you honestly believe that trainers are all knowing? Misleading a client because you don't know or understand the first thing about nutrition is still misleading, whether you proactively do it or not. Are all trainers idiots? No. But I've seen numerous friends in competition, mostly women, receive "meal plans" from trainers and coaches - all protein, little to no fat and no carbs - a recipe for disaster. Just because they call themselves a trainer and paid money for an online "certificate course", doesn't mean they know the first thing about nutrition.

And anyone can post research articles to prove or deny a claim. Perhaps you should read "Nutrient Timing Revisited" - Aragon and Schoenfeld. (Nice strawman argument, right?) The fact is it is widely agreed that nutrient timing, other than for athletic performance, has nothing to do with weight loss/gain, and little to do with muscle gain/loss. MPS isn't confined to an hour window. With that said, if you train fasted, it also probably isn't ideal to go 8-10 hours without a meal. But there is no need or reason to consume protein within an hour of training. And to claim significantly greater gains by meal timing is erroneous.

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    The fact is it is widely agreed that nutrient timing, other than for athletic performance, has nothing to do with weight loss/gain, and little to do with muscle gain/loss. MPS isn't confined to an hour window. With that said, if you train fasted, it also probably isn't ideal to go 8-10 hours without a meal. But there is no need or reason to consume protein within an hour of training. And to claim significantly greater gains by meal timing is erroneous.
    Well, if it has even a little to do with muscle loss/gain then that is a reason to consume protein within an hour of training, even if it isn't a need.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    As above.

http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/5

Nutrient timing revisited: is there a post-exercise anabolic window?
    Alan Aragon and Brad Schoenfeld

• ldeoprecor
    ldeoprecor Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    There are tons of studies to indicate the benefits of post workout protein supplements. Haynes Cribb posted a study in 2006 "Effects of supplement timing and resistance exercise on skeletal muscle hypertrophy". The study lasted 22 weeks and followed two groups. One group took their protein in the morning and evening, and the other took the exact same amount post and pre workout. Those who took protein blends post work out saw increased LBM and decreased body fat. Both groups saw increased gains, but the post workout group demonstrated significantly greater gains.

There are numerous studies (sourced below) that show the effects that milk can have a post workout drink in terms of increasing LBM, strength, , muscle hypertrophy and decreases in body fat.

Wlkinson S, Tarnopolsky M- Consumption of fluid skim milk promotes greater muscle protein accretion after resistance exercise than does consumption of a isonitrogenous and isoenergectic soy-protein beverage. Am J Clin Nutr 2007

Rankin J, Goldman L- Effect of post exercise supplement consumption on adaptations to resistance training. AM J Clin Nutr- 2007

Josse A, Tang J- Body composition and strength changes in women with milk and resistance exercise. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2010

There are definite benefits to what your trainer is talking about. That's not to say that you take everything that they say as the truth, but what possible reason could they have for misleading a client?

And for those that bash the trainer (or trainers in general) as not knowing anything about nutrition....really? You're making this claim on MFP forums? With what credentials? And with what backing? I'll take a controlled study over what people claim to "know" on this forum any day.

What? Do you honestly believe that trainers are all knowing? Misleading a client because you don't know or understand the first thing about nutrition is still misleading, whether you proactively do it or not. Are all trainers idiots? No. But I've seen numerous friends in competition, mostly women, receive "meal plans" from trainers and coaches - all protein, little to no fat and no carbs - a recipe for disaster. Just because they call themselves a trainer and paid money for an online "certificate course", doesn't mean they know the first thing about nutrition.

And anyone can post research articles to prove or deny a claim. Perhaps you should read "Nutrient Timing Revisited" - Aragon and Schoenfeld. (Nice strawman argument, right?) The fact is it is widely agreed that nutrient timing, other than for athletic performance, has nothing to do with weight loss/gain, and little to do with muscle gain/loss. MPS isn't confined to an hour window. With that said, if you train fasted, it also probably isn't ideal to go 8-10 hours without a meal. But there is no need or reason to consume protein within an hour of training. And to claim significantly greater gains by meal timing is erroneous.

I find it curious that you would admit to making that exact fallacy. I haven't misrepresented anyone's side. But, I don't recall EVER saying that if you don't drink x within y minutes then you won't see anything. But, you claim that I do and then blow away that straw man argument. And, I clearly stated that not all trainers are all knowing. But those that claim that one should listen to the "wisdom" of an online forum have just as much (and usually less) credibility than a lot of trainers....

At best, your sourced article simply says "We don't know enough to say one way or the other". Which is hardly a conclusion at all. In fact, most of their concerns are about the fact that most of the studies included both pre and post workout supplementation, which doesn't aid credence to the "anabolic window" theory. That being said, even in that article, those studies that either compare pre and post to morn and evening show that there are benefits to those who take the supplements within a closer time frame.

You are the one that has assigned ridiculous time frames to this. I mean, if you consume your protein at 61 minutes instead of 60 minutes then you don't get the same affect.....yeah....sure. This isn't about nitpicking times.

What I, the trainer, and studies suggest is that there is reason to believe that taking protein supplements as a post workout can have benefits. Other people here are claiming that it does nothing (and there isn't much out there to support that claim).

But, to answer the OP's question, taking a protein supplement can aid in increased LBM and decreased body fat. We can argue till we are blue in the face about the timing, but the bottom line is that there is credence to the idea that a protein supplement when combined with resistance work can aid in body fat reduction.
  • ericaelainefields
    ericaelainefields Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    No expert on anything, but I'm currently trying to lose weight through cardio and strength training...

I eat a large breakfast, high protein but also the most carbs I'll eat all day, then workout, then down a shake as I leave the gym.

For me the routine has helped me lose weight because I get enough calories to push through my workout (two hours) and then the shake helps me fill up right away and prevents me from developing cravings and blowing my calories for the rest of the day.I feel like in terms of weight loss, making sure you have fuel to do the workout then staying full, the recommendation could definitely help some people.
  • dieselbyte
    Options

I find it curious that you would admit to making that exact fallacy. I haven't misrepresented anyone's side. But, I don't recall EVER saying that if you don't drink x within y minutes then you won't see anything. But, you claim that I do and then blow away that straw man argument. And, I clearly stated that not all trainers are all knowing. But those that claim that one should listen to the "wisdom" of an online forum have just as much (and usually less) credibility than a lot of trainers....

At best, your sourced article simply says "We don't know enough to say one way or the other". Which is hardly a conclusion at all. In fact, most of their concerns are about the fact that most of the studies included both pre and post workout supplementation, which doesn't aid credence to the "anabolic window" theory. That being said, even in that article, those studies that either compare pre and post to morn and evening show that there are benefits to those who take the supplements within a closer time frame.

You are the one that has assigned ridiculous time frames to this. I mean, if you consume your protein at 61 minutes instead of 60 minutes then you don't get the same affect.....yeah....sure. This isn't about nitpicking times.

What I, the trainer, and studies suggest is that there is reason to believe that taking protein supplements as a post workout can have benefits. Other people here are claiming that it does nothing (and there isn't much out there to support that claim).

But, to answer the OP's question, taking a protein supplement can aid in increased LBM and decreased body fat. We can argue till we are blue in the face about the timing, but the bottom line is that there is credence to the idea that a protein supplement when combined with resistance work can aid in body fat reduction.

You clearly don't understand my argument, nor did you read the part where OP stated her trainer said to have a protein shake within an hour. I wasn't the one who assigned a ridiculous time frame to anything, nor did I "nitpick" times. The fact that you call out other's for questioning the trainers advice is the issue. How do you know what credentials someone has. And not having credentials automatically disqualifies someone and their arguments? It seems you are suggesting that posting on the MFP forum somehow discredits or lessens someone's knowledge. Than what does that mean for you and your posts? And your last line? Protein and resistance training alone do not aid in body fat reduction. One needs to be in a caloric deficit first and foremost, and that's the bottom line.

To clarify for you. The point I'm making is the argument of optimal vs needed (and optimal can be argued from here to eternity, as you know). Pre, post and intra workout feedings all have to be taken into account. Example - I changed my schedule and now train fasted at 5am (my last meal is right before bed, usually around 9pm). I don't eat a normal "meal" with protein until around 12pm the next day. Is it "optimal" for me to go 15 hours without consuming protein? Maybe not. Will I still build muscle, if my protein needs are met throughout the days, weeks and months, and I'm in a caloric surplus? Yes. So I'd argue that for me a protein shake after my workout is the more optimal solution, due to my time constraints at work and other factors, factors including the attempt to put on as much muscle as possible given my training, genetics, caloric surplus etc.

When it comes to the OP, her question was about protein after training for the sole purpose of losing weight. That is her goal. Her trainer stated she should have a shake within an hour. The answer to her question is no. Protein alone after training will not help her lose weight. It isn't a magical macronutrient. CICO first and foremost.
  • ldeoprecor
    ldeoprecor Posts: 13 Member
    Options

You clearly don't understand my argument, nor did you read the part where OP stated her trainer said to have a protein shake within an hour. I wasn't the one who assigned a ridiculous time frame to anything, nor did I "nitpick" times. The fact that you call out other's for questioning the trainers advice is the issue. How do you know what credentials someone has. And not having credentials automatically disqualifies someone and their arguments? It seems you are suggesting that posting on the MFP forum somehow discredits or lessens someone's knowledge. Than what does that mean for you and your posts? And your last line? Protein and resistance training alone do not aid in body fat reduction. One needs to be in a caloric deficit first and foremost, and that's the bottom line.

To clarify for you. The point I'm making is the argument of optimal vs needed (and optimal can be argued from here to eternity, as you know). Pre, post and intra workout feedings all have to be taken into account. Example - I changed my schedule and now train fasted at 5am (my last meal is right before bed, usually around 9pm). I don't eat a normal "meal" with protein until around 12pm the next day. Is it "optimal" for me to go 15 hours without consuming protein? Maybe not. Will I still build muscle, if my protein needs are met throughout the days, weeks and months, and I'm in a caloric surplus? Yes. So I'd argue that for me a protein shake after my workout is the more optimal solution, due to my time constraints at work and other factors, factors including the attempt to put on as much muscle as possible given my training, genetics, caloric surplus etc.

When it comes to the OP, her question was about protein after training for the sole purpose of losing weight. That is her goal. Her trainer stated she should have a shake within an hour. The answer to her question is no. Protein alone after training will not help her lose weight. It isn't a magical macronutrient. CICO first and foremost.

I did not suggest that posting on MFP discredits you. Saying "Trainers don't know what they are talking about. You don't need protein as a post workout supplement," is about as credible (and likely less so) than taking a trainer's word at face value. The difference here is that I've sourced and backed up my claims with studies that support it. If you want to argue that those sources are wrong, by all means, go for it. But making a blanket claim that trainers don't know what they are talking about and making unsubstantiated claims is ridiculous.

Sigh...once again you are building arguments that don't exist. No one has challenged CICO. To quote the OP "She told me she wanted me to drink a protein drink ( with at least 25 grams of protein) within an hour after working out.....So my question is will this actually help me lose weight?"

The answer would be that studies have shown that it can. Weight loss and the human body are rather complex. And while "It's all just CICO" is a nice sound bite, there's more too it than just that. Hence, her question.....

Nevertheless, I'm not challenging the concept. Why you insist on lunging for the jugular is beyond me. She didn't ask "How do I lose weight". She asked if the trainers was telling the truth.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    The larger breakfast may be to have up to 20 g protein before workout. If you aretraining hard or doing hard cardio. Then post workout protein drink is to help with muscle recovery and while the oxygen is still in the muscle this gets the protein in the muscle fast and will help with building muscle and will help your muscles repair and not be sore. This is how it was explained to me anyway. There is bionic edge which is low cal 110 and low carb 3 g and taste awesome! And has no artificial fillers or chemicals added. And uses stevia as sweetener and 25 g protein. And 36 servings.
    You were informed incorrectly then. While there is an "optimal" window after a workout for a post workout shake, the actual effectiveness of it is basically immeasurable to people who are of the general population. Elite athletes and some body builders on gear MAY get a better response, but what you're hearing is information being handed down from many fitness trainers who listened to other fitness trainers who didn't really research the study enough.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I posted a link to what seems to me to be a fairly comprehensive literature review published in 2013 for those of you that want to delve into the question of benefits of pre- and post-workout nutrients.. It says nothing about weight loss. It looks at various studies that examine the anabolic effect of nutrient timing (carbohydrates and protein, specifically), including the interaction of protein and carb, on subjects who exercised in fasted and unfasted states, in untrained and trained subjects, and in elderly vs. non-elderly subjects, and has an excellent discussion (again, in my view) of the limitations of the research to date.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3577439/
  • dieselbyte
    Options

I did not suggest that posting on MFP discredits you. Saying "Trainers don't know what they are talking about. You don't need protein as a post workout supplement," is about as credible (and likely less so) than taking a trainer's word at face value. The difference here is that I've sourced and backed up my claims with studies that support it. If you want to argue that those sources are wrong, by all means, go for it. But making a blanket claim that trainers don't know what they are talking about and making unsubstantiated claims is ridiculous.

Sigh...once again you are building arguments that don't exist. No one has challenged CICO. To quote the OP "She told me she wanted me to drink a protein drink ( with at least 25 grams of protein) within an hour after working out.....So my question is will this actually help me lose weight?"

The answer would be that studies have shown that it can. Weight loss and the human body are rather complex. And while "It's all just CICO" is a nice sound bite, there's more too it than just that. Hence, her question.....

Nevertheless, I'm not challenging the concept. Why you insist on lunging for the jugular is beyond me. She didn't ask "How do I lose weight". She asked if the trainers was telling the truth.

I'm done. Don't want to hijack the OP's thread, and clearly you are constructing statements to fit your argument. The OP did not ask if the trainer was "telling the truth". She asked if a protein shake after her workout would aid in weight loss - which it won't.

OP - apologize for hijacking your thread. Ninerbuff has given some great info, especially his last post.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Skim milk versus soy. Basically study states that milk based products are better than soy for protein accretion. Any protein intake will help to increase hypertrophy if enough is taken and progressive overload resistance program is applied.
    From the study:
    RESULTS
    Anthropometrics
    There were no statistical differences in physical character-
    istics among groups for any of the listed variables prior to the
    treatment period (Table 2).

Muscular Strength
    Muscular strength was not significantly different for any of
    the seven exercises between groups prior to training (Table 4).

Body Composition
    There were no significant differences between groups at
    baseline for body composition (Table 2).

Hormones
    Serum hormone concentrations were not significantly dif-
    ferent between treatments before the start of training (Table 5).

Effect of Type of Beverage Consumed post Exercise
    Type of beverage consumed after each resistance training
    bout did not have a significant effect on body composition, strength, hormones or REE in young men undergoing a rigorous resistance training program for 10 weeks.

CONCLUSION
    A 10 week resistance training program led to significant
    muscle hypertrophy and strength gains, but not an increase in
    REE.

This study was done on males 18-25 who were UNTRAINED prior. Definitely sure that results would be much different on males who've trained 90 days or more consistently.
    From study:

CONCLUSIONS:

Heavy, whole-body resistance exercise with the consumption of milk versus carbohydrate in the early postexercise period resulted in greater muscle mass accretion, strength gains, fat mass loss, and a possible reduction in bone turnover in women after 12 wk. Our results, similar to those in men, highlight that milk is an effective drink to support favorable body composition changes in women with resistance training.

But this study is based on milk vs carbs for muscle mass, accretion, strength gains, etc. I don't know of any scientific organization that would say muscle mass increase would happen without PROTEIN. Carbs don't build muscle mass. I promise.
    The misleading happens because of lack of actual knowledge. Let's face it, most PT's can't recite 10 elements from the Periodic table of elements by it's acronym, much let's explain how chemically Kreb's cycle works. Many go by what peers tell them or what they read in a fitness magazine without actually researching it.
    I can attest (since I've worked with many many trainers over the years), that many trainers are inadequately informed when it comes to nutrition. Most know the "cookie cutter" versions. There are some who are well informed, but you're talking about 1 out of about every 15-20.
    And yes PEER REVIEWED STUDIES should be the go to for information rather than just relying on word from someone who just trains people at the gym. I tell my clients all the time to not just believe me, but get what I say verified and ask any questions I may not have covered.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    maxit wrote: »
    I posted a link to what seems to me to be a fairly comprehensive literature review published in 2013 for those of you that want to delve into the question of benefits of pre- and post-workout nutrients.. It says nothing about weight loss. It looks at various studies that examine the anabolic effect of nutrient timing (carbohydrates and protein, specifically), including the interaction of protein and carb, on subjects who exercised in fasted and unfasted states, in untrained and trained subjects, and in elderly vs. non-elderly subjects, and has an excellent discussion (again, in my view) of the limitations of the research to date.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3577439/
    This is study that should be read and looked at...................with objectivity.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• debsweetcakes
    Options
    PROTEIN BUILDS MUSCLE and muscle burns FAT! Do what your trainer is telling you. Eating more protein when you are craving things etc also help majorly!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    PROTEIN BUILDS MUSCLE and muscle burns FAT! Do what your trainer is telling you. Eating more protein when you are craving things etc also help majorly!
    Protein builds muscle, but not likely if you're in deficit. Lots of trainers are just echoing broscience that they hear from peers and magazines.
    Sometimes you just have to believe real research.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png