How do you manage your running pace?

Options
Hi everyone. This is the third summer I'm consistently running. Last summer, I focused on half-marathons, I'm now focusing on 10k. Here's my question. How do you manage your race when you want to get your best time? Some people tend to start strong and finish slower, while others adopt a steady pace throughout. I'm looking for new approaches to beat my times.

I'm more of the first type I'd say. When I consider my best races, I see I start fast and slow down in the last kilometers:

This season's best 10k (55:22, 2015-04-06):
1- 5:04 min/km
2- 5:15 min/km
3- 5:22 min/km
4- 5:36 min/km
5- 5:41 min/km
6- 5:48 min/km
7- 5:52 min/km
8- 5:43 min/km
9- 5:48 min/km
10- 5:11 min/km (final sprint ^_^)

Average pace: 5:32 min/km

And it was more or less the same for my all-time PR (48:14, 2014-06-09):
1- 4:38 min/km
2- 4:37 min/km
3- 4:29 min/km
4- 4:48 min/km
5- 4:49 min/km
6- 4:48 min/km
7- 4:47 min/km
8- 5:00 min/km
9- 4:52 min/km
10- 4:19 min/km

Average pace: 4:42 min/km

Thanks for the input!

giphy.gif

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    This is honestly something you just learn how to do over time. Consistent training and paying attention to your pace will get you there, but mostly just more time on your feet.

One thing you can do, however, is make a concious effort to slightly negative-split all of your endurance runs. So if you are just going out for, say, a 5 mile run, make sure the first 3 miles are at X pace and the last 2 are at 90% of X. Just a little bit faster. If you have to run just a little slower than you "feel like" for the first few miles, then so be it.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I agree that its mostly just experience with the race distance. You have to just kind of feel where the right level of "suck" is at the beginning and not start out too hard.

If you kind of know how fast you should be racing a GPS watch is also helpful in keeping that initial surge in the right pace range.
  • glevinso
    Options
    scottb81 wrote: »
    a GPS watch is also helpful in keeping that initial surge in the right pace range.

As a data-nerd triathlete, I don't think I could race properly without my GPS watch. I know it is a crutch, but that is how I roll. I know I would blow myself up entirely in a long race if I didn't have instant pace feedback from it.
  • Wiltord1982
    Wiltord1982 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    a GPS watch is also helpful in keeping that initial surge in the right pace range.

As a data-nerd triathlete, I don't think I could race properly without my GPS watch. I know it is a crutch, but that is how I roll. I know I would blow myself up entirely in a long race if I didn't have instant pace feedback from it.

I totally agree with that. It happened to me a few times that my GPS watch was dead and I didn't have it for running. It didn't feel the same, even though I knew my mileage.
  • glevinso
    Options
    At this point I am experienced enough to know how to do it without the technology... but I would certainly not have an easy time of it if it's a longer race.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ditto's to GPS/HRM Garmin.

I go more by HR, at the start, knowing that will hold me back enough from the excitement of going out too fast and suffering later.
    But then with HR drift, I expect the same effort to lead to increased HR later, so either abandon it or just give myself a higher limit.
    My last few that worked well I start out at bottom of tempo zone for about 1/4 the distance, top of tempo for 1/2, then allow up to LT line for last 1/4 with whatever I got left in me.
    That allowed me to be calm going up hills, take advantage of coming down, and pace out nice on flats.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it comes with experience. Over time you get to know how much you can suffer and how long you can sustain it.

Personally, I find it easier to push myself nearer to my limits when the end is relatively near. So I spend the first little bit of a race getting into my rhythm, the middle section managing my effort, and the last stretch building up to max effort. It doesn't always work that way, but that's usually my plan.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Newbie here just popping in to say I'm jealous. I range between 10 and 11 minutes a KM. I let Endomondo tell me what my pace is.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Agreed. I've been doing more work based on RPE so I'm not so data/tech dependent... but mentally I like the perceived certainty that comes with the data.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Wanted to add, positive splits from experience always make the time worse.
    I believe because at the start prior to body slipping in to the normal fat:carb burn ratio it's going to use, going even faster than you should while burning more limited carbs just sets you up for bad results later in race when you gotta slow way down to compensate.

But calm at first to get in to that better fat:carb ratio leaves more carbs to use later, and negative splits always seems to show that in my case.
  • teacton11
    teacton11 Posts: 65 Member
    Options

Same as you. I need my watch. I'm no stranger to the marathon + distances but just recently I completely screwed up a fun run 5k. Been reading all these articles about zen running without a watch. Go by feel they said. Listen to your body they said. Ignore your watch they said. It'll be an amazing experience and you will love it they said.

Looking at what I did after:
    Mile 1: sub 6 min pace feeling good. I am so awesome. Look at me in the lead pack with all these local elites. Big time here I come.
    Mile 2 early on: Oh God, when did my calves catch fire? Pace starts slowing up
    Mile 2 - 3 : Please someone kill me now. WTF is happening...I'm walking during a 5k...who am I?
    Mile 3.1: Fudge this crap, I love you Garmin, I'll never ignore you again....crawling back to truck.

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    teacton11 wrote: »

Mile 1: sub 6 min pace feeling good. I am so awesome. Look at me in the lead pack with all these local elites. Big time here I come.
    Mile 2 - 3 : Please someone kill me now. WTF is happening...I'm walking during a 5k...who am I?
    Mile 3.1: Fudge this crap, I love you Garmin, I'll never ignore you again....crawling back to truck.
    hahaha. I've been there a few times, even with the watch on.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I set pace with my breathing - set my breathing pace for what I know I can handle for the next X metres or whatever, and then match my stride cadence to it.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Same as you. I need my watch. I'm no stranger to the marathon + distances but just recently I completely screwed up a fun run 5k. Been reading all these articles about zen running without a watch. Go by feel they said. Listen to your body they said. Ignore your watch they said. It'll be an amazing experience and you will love it they said.

:smiley:

Oh man, I totally feel you. I have a sprint tri coming up in a couple of months, so I looked up last year's results to confirm that I *will* finish at the bottom of my age group, no matter what I do. You could jack me up on EPO and HGH and Amphetamines and Crystal Meth and I'll still come in with the dragging tail.

Knowing this will help me resist trying something stupid like trying to hang "in the lead pack with all these local elites".

:drinker:
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

Ha ha! I haven't done a 5k in a while but I think that's sort of how my last one went. I did the first mile around a 7:00 pace and ended up paying for it at the end.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    *Double Post
  • glevinso
    Options
    I think that really is every 5k regardless of whether or not you pace it. I am doing one in a couple weeks with the intention of hitting 17:00. I am sure I will go out at the goal pace on the first mile, but I am certain it will all come apart at the half way point as 5ks always do...
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I think that really is every 5k regardless of whether or not you pace it. I am doing one in a couple weeks with the intention of hitting 17:00. I am sure I will go out at the goal pace on the first mile, but I am certain it will all come apart at the half way point as 5ks always do...

Ha, is there any other way to pace a 5k? I thought it was just "go out as fast as you can and try to hold on". I think my last 5k I went out at a 5:43 pace for the first mile and thought "oh. Oh no. That isn't good". And it wasn't. But then I'd rather run a 50k than a 5k.

OP I agree with the others. Race management is something you learn over time. Ideally, You'd start off strong, try to calm down and stabilize the middle of the race, then try to pick it up for the end.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Not a racer myself, but have done research on professional racing programs looking for one to use as a training program. They were all consistent with the idea that you start out slow, and speed up as you go. How you designate your splits (increase speed every mile, every 1/4 of the distance, etc) differed. But not the basic concept.

Can't advise on how to do it on a training run, unfortunately. Seems I do that naturally for almost all of my outdoor runs (indoor I don't keep track of laps, just time, so can't tell). Probably just the psychological difference between running away from home, and running for home in my case.
  • glevinso
    Options

Ha, is there any other way to pace a 5k? I thought it was just "go out as fast as you can and try to hold on". I think my last 5k I went out at a 5:43 pace for the first mile and thought "oh. Oh no. That isn't good". And it wasn't. But then I'd rather run a 50k than a 5k.

OP I agree with the others. Race management is something you learn over time. Ideally, You'd start off strong, try to calm down and stabilize the middle of the race, then try to pick it up for the end.

Agreed 100% on the long distance... I hate 5ks. I wouldn't be running in it except my coach wants me to set a new PR.