Dark Chocolate

Options
I am in search of a good, quality dark chocolate. I have seen many of you say that you like these and I would like some suggestions as to brand and cacao %. Thanks.

Replies

• suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    My "gateway" dark chocolate are dove darks...they are dark but still creamy and delicious. I get the individually wrapped (portion control). at 50 calories each they will almost always fit in to my day!
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Not top of the line, but Cadbury's Dark Chocolate bar gets me there. 7 pieces for 170 cals? Yes pls.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I'm not overly picky about brands, just whatever is on sale at the store. I go for 70% ish cocoa, sometimes is 72, 74, or 75 depending on the brands. I tried 85% and it was so frigging DRY I could only eat it with Nutella or PB on it. Lindt or Godiva are always good.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Lindt or Godiva for me.
  • artlover47
    artlover47 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Ghirardelli Bittersweet dark chocolate chips are 60% cacao and are 5 calories per chip. If you don't have a problem with portion control, I use these because sometimes 4 chips at 20 calories give me just enough of the chocolate flavor to stop cravings for larger treats. Of course, if you allow for it, you can eat more than I do! I am just on such a low calorie goal that I'd rather use my calories on more nutritious things, but I do eat a few chocolate chips several times a week. I know dark chocolate has health benefits, and you can eat 16 chips for 80 calories and savor each one.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's 72% cacao dark chocolate
    green & black's 70%
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I like the Endangered Species 72% bar. It's broken up into 15 pieces. So I'll have 1 or 2 of those for dessert.
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Awesome replies! Thanks to all of you!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I like Lindt, Ritter sport, Vosages, Chuao, Hammonds. All 85% and up preferably. I even eat 99% sometimes but I admit that is not normal.
  • kailibertsch
    kailibertsch Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Godiva 72% bar. Only 60 calories per square.
  • serenity1097
    serenity1097 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Ghirardelli Intense Dark - Twilight Delight 72% cacao...I buy a bag of the individually wrapped squares & keep a few in my lunchbox for a sweet treat after lunch :p
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I forget the name but its in the health section generally its 60 to 85%. It has nice mixes like ginger, coconut, even pepper or bacon I think its called for the love of chocolate. Belgium chocolate or german is the best quality. I love lindt, or ritter which has nice flavors like hazelnut, rasberry truffle, sport ( shortbread), and others. The high quality cost more but taste is incomparable silky and yumm!
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    My top 3:

1) Endangered Species 88%
    2) Trader Joe's Chocolate Lovers 85%
    3) Equal Exchange Panama 80%
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    By the way both the Vosges and the Chuao bacon chocolate bars are great. Vosges is a little better and darker.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I am really enjoying the Dove dark chocolate-covered cherries and blueberries. Some other brands are just fruit juice, but these are real fruit inside, and they are so delicious and satisfying.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Ghirardelli Intense Dark - Twilight Delight 72% cacao...I buy a bag of the individually wrapped squares & keep a few in my lunchbox for a sweet treat after lunch :p

Be careful, for me it was only a gateway to the harder stuff....the Ghirardelli 86% cacao ;-)

Now the 72% tastes too sweet to me. My wife thinks the 86% is too bitter but that leaves more for me.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Search for your local chocolatier...you'll never go back to store bought again. Have a local chocolatier here that infuses flavors into the dark choc & milk choc that is absolute heaven on my tongue.

(eta: they provide shipping, too!)
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Droste Pastilles, 70%. Best dark chocolate ever. Of all time.
  • Julie8922mfp
    Julie8922mfp Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    artlover47 wrote: »
    Ghirardelli Bittersweet dark chocolate chips are 60% cacao and are 5 calories per chip. If you don't have a problem with portion control, I use these because sometimes 4 chips at 20 calories give me just enough of the chocolate flavor to stop cravings for larger treats. Of course, if you allow for it, you can eat more than I do! I am just on such a low calorie goal that I'd rather use my calories on more nutritious things, but I do eat a few chocolate chips several times a week. I know dark chocolate has health benefits, and you can eat 16 chips for 80 calories and savor each one.

• serenity1097
    serenity1097 Posts: 135 Member
    Options

Be careful, for me it was only a gateway to the harder stuff....the Ghirardelli 86% cacao ;-)

Now the 72% tastes too sweet to me. My wife thinks the 86% is too bitter but that leaves more for me.

Hmmm, I see a trip to the store in my immediate future!!!