Do you have to "break in" your workout shoes

Options
I have been having issues finding comfortable cross trainers. I have had to return one pair and I am on day 2 of a new pair. They're just not that comfortable. I don't remember having issues in the beginning few days with shoes. Anyone else have this issue? Any recommendations of a great cross trainer? (I do lots of walking, stairs, elliptical, and Zumba.) TIA!

Replies

• WillowThorn
    WillowThorn Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Well the way I understand it, you may not want cross trainers for Zumba because you can hurt your knees with those (because of the twisting). I've heard certain kinds of dance shoes are better or to use something on your trainers to reduce friction.

As for the other exercises...when you buy your shoes they should be comfortable as you leave the store. When you're trying them on, jog in place or something to try and replicate what you'll be doing while exercising. Have a store employee fit you. If you're still having trouble, go to an athletics store that sells sneakers and have them fit you there (they tend to be more specially trained). Good luck!
  • NikkiSmo
    NikkiSmo Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I would suggest purchasing your shoes online there are several stores / companies that offer a 15-30 trial no questions asked return policy. That way you can try them multiple times with various activities before you commit.
  • NikkiSmo
    NikkiSmo Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I would suggest purchasing your shoes online there are several stores / companies that offer a 15-30 trial no questions asked return policy. That way you can try them multiple times with various activities before you commit.
  • PAtinCO
    PAtinCO Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Most athletic shoes these days should not require much, if any, break in period.

I've found that sometimes what's comfortable in the store may not be for extended wear. I'm having that issue with a new pair of GoLite trail runners I use for hiking. They feel great for short hikes or just wearing around. After 5-10 miles of hiking they start to blister my heel though. Bummer too because they're otherwise great.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Not really. I just bought some new tennis shoes a couple weeks ago. New Balance. The first day or so they were a bit uncomfy by the end of the day but they are shoes that correct over pronation and I hadn't worn any like that in a few years so I figured that was why. After about a day they were comfy.
    I try to wear them just around the house on carpet only when I get new ones to make sure they are comfy and wear them at different times of the day also since our feet swell at different times through out the day too.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a running store where you can get fitted. They tend to have treadmills or let you run outside to test them out. The two I went to sold cross training shoes as well and I discovered that my size in athletic shoes can vary. When I order online I tend to order a couple sizes for each pair but even that is only after I am familiar with the brand and my size in it, wear them around the house and return what doesn't work. My other suggestion is don't be afraid of trying on mens. I'm a fan of New Balance right now and I rotate between about 7 pairs depending on my activity and a couple of the mens are my favorite and most comfortable. I also cross train.