vit d supplement

Options
so i went to the doctor and they did a blood test and it come back that my vitamin d was to low i guess its suppse to be 20 and mine is 15. he gave me a prescription for vit. d pill that you take once a week for 3 months and then he is going to retest me. Anyone else have this problem. what does viatmin d do?

Replies

• Crystalnp1981
    Crystalnp1981 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have had issues with low Vitamin D levels before. I can tell now, when mine is low because my bones hurt and ache. Especially in my feet and ankles. When I go back to taking the supplements it eases the joint pain and stiffness.
  • runmama411
    runmama411 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    It is pretty common now, we are careful to use the SPF, or stay indoors more and so we miss out on getting our natural daily dose of sunshine (vitamin D generator). My levels were at 6 (vegan for awhile and loads of SPF) but only had to start taking 2,000mg of D3 2x a day, no Rx for me. Here's some info on vitamin D deficiency: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/vitamin-d-deficiency/faq-20058397
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Get a transdermal vitamin D infusion.
  • bulk_n_cut
    bulk_n_cut Posts: 389 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    vitamin D goes to your gut and tells it to absorb more calcium and phosphate, both of which are building blocks for mineralization of bone. if there isnt enough vitamin D in your body, your blood calcium levels will drop, and a hormone called PTH will go to your bones and grab calcium from there in an effort to raise blood calcium levels. they will be raised, but now the bones will be weaker. also, PTH will tell your kidney to throw away phosphate, which will further weaken bones. this severe deficiency of vitamin D in adults may lead to a disease known as osteomalacia. vit D supplements solve this problem.
    source: am medical student
  • Supermom883
    Supermom883 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone