Guess it's true what they say

Options
So I was running late to see my cousin run in the special Olympics. I was wearing jeans. I started to runs from where I parked to the field. It was less than a mile for sure if not a half mile. I could barely run it. I had to stop twice and walk. I do easily three miles on the treadmill in under 30 minutes. So what the hell?!?! LOL Although I wasn't really paying attention to how fast I was going. I did kinda go out the other night and had way way to much to drink. Maybe I'm still recovering or something. I thought about doing a 5K but now not so sure. LOL Is running on a treadmill that much different than the outdoors??

Replies

• SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Yes running outside is more difficult than the treadmill because your body has to work harder.
  • robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Also, make sure you increase the incline some. Running on a treadmill at 0 is the equivalent of running downhill.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    your stride is also more than likely going to be different on a treadmill than in real life. when i run at my real wold speed on the treadmill it feels exactly the same as running outdoors.

to give you an idea of what i mean. for me, running on a treadmill significantly shortens my stride so that i'm taking shorter steps. the result is that the normal pace is like 5.2-5.5 on the treadmill. off the treadmill my normal pace is 6.0-6.3
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily.

It's different enough that if you bolt off down the street in street clothes having not it before, yeah, it will be a bit of a shock. But that's mostly because it's new, not because it's that much more difficult.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Yes. Running outside hurts my joints lol.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Running on a treadmill all you have to do is catch yourself. Running outside you have to propel yourself.