Low impact for a beginner

Options
2»

Replies

• anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Agree to avoid Jillian Michaels if you have pre-existing problems and a lot of weight to lose.

I previewed Leslie Sansone's vids, and they seem great.

Re walking: ensure you have really great support around your feet and ankles. If you've had no activity recently, and you have a lot to lose, would introduce it slowly. Every 1 lb of weight is 3 lbs of pressure on joints, standing; with speed & movement, that pressure is increased. If your joints aren't great, and they're exposed to too much pressure before your connective tissues have had time to adapt, even walking can cause injuries. That's not a reason not to work up to the recommendations for 30-60 mins of daily activity - just an argument for a careful introduction. Here's an 'absolute beginner's guide to walking', from about.com: http://walking.about.com/cs/beginners/a/blhowschedule.htm .

Swimming, absolutely.
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Water jogging, water aerobics - low impact on all your joints and swimming if you know how, you will know when your ready to get out of the pool and do something more. Great calorie burning in water because of the water resistance. Good Luck with whatever you choose to do
  • loislenski
    loislenski Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    T-Tapp fifteen minute workout... low impact and really great results. :)
  • justdazed
    justdazed Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Swimming or perhaps stationary bike. I started out with walking and yoga (but make sure to get some GOOD walking shoes).
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Jillian 30 day shred!!!

Is this a joke? Why would you set someone up for disappointment?

Please DO NOT do jillian michaels 30 day shred. The workout is brutal for any beginner.

I loved doing Leslie Sansone Walking Dvd's. I lost my first 40lbs with it doing the dvds on a regular basis. They are easy, low impact on joints, but still challenging enough that you will get a work out. You could always start walking to 1 mile, then add another, etc. You will definitely see the exercises paying off and you will notice progression with your workouts.

There are a ton of videos on Youtube if you look her up - you can get an idea of what some of her videos are like. I often find them at walmart for like $10.00 so they are really cheap. :)
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Use the pool, pool, pool! I believe swimming pools can product (forgiving) workouts, and you'd be working everything in your body. Don't overexert, maybe start out by walking little distances in the pool. I have no doubt that you'll work your way up to accomplish better workouts. Give it time and NEVER give up!! You'll be surprised how great you feel once you start a routine/lose some weight. Good luck!
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    There are a set of bicycle pedals they sell so you can sit and pedal, some models can be used for arms too
  • frankizoy
    frankizoy Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    if you go on youtube and search FitnessBlender, its a great place to start. they have so many different kinds of free fitness videos far people at any level :)
  • greatmom2
    greatmom2 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I agree with just walking or swimming since those are readily available to you.

Netflix streaming no longer offers exercise videos (I was very upset when they discontinued this, but it has been unavailable for a while), but YouTube is a great resource for free workouts! YouTube even has some of Leslie Sansone's videos if you want to look into her method before actually purchasing (just search her name)! Her 'Walk Away The Pounds' series are really great! She varies walks between 1-5 miles (at least) so that you choose how far you want to walk depending on what video you do and also gives you ideas to increase or decrease intensity based on your fitness level! Something you can really change with! It has very few steps (very basic) to remember as well so you don't have to be coordinated or remember a lot of things to do it either! Plus no equipment is needed although once you have built up to it, you could incorporate in hand weights or wrist/ankle weights.

Good luck to you! You will be glad you have embarked upon this journey! It can be daunting and scary at times, but just have faith and confidence in yourself because you can do anything you set your mind to! Congrats for making this first step! It really is the hardest!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Richard Simmons' Sweatin" to the Oldies dvds. Don't laugh, I'm serious! They are super fun and very low impact workouts!

I'm in AZ, too, I feel ya on staying indoors. I'm scared to even walk out to my car during daylight hours. :/

Just saw you are also in Tempe, I'd be happy to lend them to you to see if you like them, if you are interested!
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Swimming for SURE..or other types of water workouts...water aerobics, jogging in the water, etc. If you've got joint issues it's one of the best things.
  • morticia16
    morticia16 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    With you having access to the pool, I'd recommend you focus on that. Aquagym if you are starting out, swimming laps if you want to go for some serious low impact calorie burn!
  • Reepir
    Reepir Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    This is great advice from everyone. I will look through all the options you have all given me! Thank you guys for the great information.

I went over to my sisters and just by playing around with my nephews in the pool for 45ish minutes burned a little over 800 calories. I wasn't out of breath or feel too sore today. I forgot how much I loved swimming I will definitely be doing more of this. The pool I have access to is at my apartment complex but it is open 24 hours a day.

I have been trying to find the right time if I were to walk around outside. I go to work fairly early on week days (6am) so to include exercise I would need to wake up 1 hour earlier to be able to include a pre work shower. 4 AM just is a daunting number to wake up to when I still don't normally fall asleep til around 10 or 11 PM. So I have been working to fit it in at the end of the day. The other choice I have to go walking around is at Arizona Mills Mall which is a perfect mile from what I have heard and how it feels when walking it. It is an enclosed gint ovalish walk and air conditioned.

I will be working up to more and more! Expect me to ask more suggestions to make it to the next level. Anyone feel free to add me if you want someone to encourage you as well!
  • Reepir
    Reepir Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am on day two of the POP PIlates Calendar and I am loving it. Supplementing this with swimming/hottub for muscles and walking and I think I have this down. Thank you all!
  • StephF3692
    StephF3692 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    the nice thing about the leslie sansone dvds, if time is an issue, is that she breaks them down to 12 minute miles. so you can easily do them anytime of day, and it's only about 12 minutes for a nice little workout. i'm also doing jillian michaels' 30 day shred, on day 12 - day 2 of level 2 - and it's definitely a challenge.

i think as long as you're moving, you can't go wrong. good luck!