Frustrated!

Options
2»

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    missyrobb wrote: »
    If you don't eat enough your body will go into starvation mode and not burn, but rather store, fat.

This is not exactly true. "Starvation mode," as the term is thrown around, doesn't exist. If you cut your calories too much, you will burn more muscle, but you will still lose weight. Our body can't retain weight on a deficit -- otherwise real starvation would never be a thing. You can slow down your metabolism through prolonged calorie deprivation, but you would still lose weight when a deficit was reintroduced.

If someone isn't losing weight, they aren't at a deficit. Eating more calories will not result in weight gain. The likely issue is that she is eating more than she thinks she is -- she is not using a food scale.

This, except that that should read Eating more calories will not result in weight loss. (I can tell it's a typo from the context).

Thanks for the catch!

@janejellyroll Wha? I have no clue what you're referring to :*
  • missyrobb
    missyrobb Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    missyrobb wrote: »
    If you don't eat enough your body will go into starvation mode and not burn, but rather store, fat.

This is not exactly true. "Starvation mode," as the term is thrown around, doesn't exist. If you cut your calories too much, you will burn more muscle, but you will still lose weight. Our body can't retain weight on a deficit -- otherwise real starvation would never be a thing. You can slow down your metabolism through prolonged calorie deprivation, but you would still lose weight when a deficit was reintroduced.

If someone isn't losing weight, they aren't at a deficit. Eating more calories will not result in weight gain. The likely issue is that she is eating more than she thinks she is -- she is not using a food scale.

This. If you're not losing, you're not in a deficit.

Missy, no offense, but you've only been at this one month, give it a bit before you consider yourself an expert. I'm at goal, and I'm not an expert.

I never said I was an "expert". I said I would help as a motivation buddy. I have also been doing ALOT of reading and studying about this over the past two months. Just because I just started doesn't mean I don't have information to share or that I am wrong.
  • debsweetcakes
    Options
    I would definitely try to increase your protein and lessen your carbs and fats. Include them, just not as much. If you are working out 5 days + per week you are not eating enough. 1200 calories is not enough. You cannot spot reduce any area.. you just have to keep on pushing on your cardio workouts and the fat will go away. Typically for women it's glutes and thighs but in your case it may be beneficial, the tummy area has potential to tighten nicely. PLUS remember that this takes TIME! I didn't see changes for 12 weeks.. so keep on truckin'! You are going to smash your goals!