Protein powder for runners trying to tone+lean, not build muscle

Options
2»

Replies

• pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Every time I see one of these big powders all I can think of is the episode of southpark where Cartmen was bulking. "BEEFCAKE!"

ts934_00_closeup_of_south_park_eric_cartman_beefcake_weight_gain_4000_cartoon_t.jpeg

You can reach your goals. I'm living proof.

I have a shirt depicting Cartman screaming "BEEFCAKE!!!" at the top of his lungs. It's about 20 years old. It's 3 sizes too big for me. It's stained and full of holes. I wear it in public and will never part with it until someone pries it from my cold, fat fingers.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    rybo wrote: »
    Where do people come up with these questions/ideas?

No, this is kind of a fair question, caused largely by the bodybuilding types who talk about "bulking powder" etc...

OP, here's the deal:

Bodybuilders and people who are trying to bulk up usually go through a "bulking cycle" in which they eat a (usually large) caloric surplus.

Some protein powders are specifically aimed at people in a bulking cycle and include lots of extra calories in the form of carbohydrates to help them achieve this surplus.

Because you're not going through a bulking cycle, you'd probably be best off looking for a protein powder that does not have a lot of sugar added. A decent rule of thumb is at least 25g of protein and no more than 150 calories per serving.

FYI, one gram of protein has about 4 calories, so a powder with 25g of protein will have at least 100 calories just from the protein, and then some additional for the fillers, flavoring, sweetener, etc...

BTW there are bulking powders such as Muscletech MASS-TECH with the following label

1 Serving With 16 Oz. Water
    Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
    Calories 1000
    Calories From Fat 80
    Total Fat 9g 14%*
    Saturated Fat 2g 10%*
    Trans Fat 0g †
    Monounsaturated Fat 5g †
    Cholesterol 85mg 28%
    Total Carbohydrates 168g 56%*
    Dietary Fiber 1g 4%*
    Sugars 8g †
    Protein 63g 126%*
    Calcium 320mg 32%
    Iron 0.7mg 4%
    Sodium 380mg 16%
    Mass-Tech® Co-Factors
    Creatine Monohydrate 10g †
    L-Leucine (As L-Leucine, Whey Protein Concentrate And Isolate) 5g †
    L-Alanine (As L-Alanine, Whey Protein Concentrate And Isolate) 3g †
    L-Glycine (As Glycine, Whey Protein Concentrate And Isolate) 3g †
    Taurine 2g †
    Enzyme Digestion Complex
    Papain 50mg †
    Amylase 50mg †

Yes, exactly!

When people were saying "Just get whatever kind you like" that's fine, but I'd hate for OP to go home with an expensive canister of protein only to discover it has 1,000 calories per serving!
  • vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Frantas0 wrote: »
    leaning or bulking all comes down to your calories being in a surplus or a deficit. a protein shake wont simply make you bulky. But Optimum Nutrition makes a great whey protein powder! like the above guy said mix a scoop in a blender with some frozen fruit after a workout and you have an amazing smoothie! If you use berries it will also be low carb!
    Amen ! :)