I'm new to trying protein shakes? How much should I consume for weightloss?

Options
I weight about 220 lbs/ 5'3 & been hearing you can use protein shakes as a diet meal? I don't understand? If I was to do so how much should I try?

Replies

• adwilliams03
    adwilliams03 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Well they're not really a diet meal. It's just to help you reach your protein macros -- protein does have a tendency to help you feeling fuller for longer, however. I have one as my breakfast each morning. I do one scoop of protein powder, a couple handfuls of spinach, blueberries, and nutella all blended together with ice and almond milk. It tastes like a chocolate milkshake, which helps me with my chocolate addiction. :P
  • cbills65
    cbills65 Posts: 164 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hi. It kind of depends. There are meal replacement shakes that are high in protein but also are rich in all the other things your body needs from a balanced meal. I drink Shakeology shakes as a meal replacement for lunch. Sometimes I will have it for breakfast instead but I only replace one meal with the shake. I make an actual protein shake (almond milk and a high protein powder) as recovery after I lift. I just don't think that shake would give me what I need in place of a meal.

There are protein bars that are meal replacments. They have more to them and are higher in calories. The only reason to do that would probably be if you know you won't have time or opportunity to get a meal (like at lunch at work or on the go). I've done the bar for lunch many times when I knew my only option for food would be fast food and that simply wasn't going to happen. Those bars clearly state "MEAL REPLACMENT" on them.

I hope this was helpful. :smile:
  • purplekat
    purplekat Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank u.. I didn't know how to ask everyone. I do zumba daily, some of the people I go with say they use proteins shakes as a replacement? Which confused me. Because I usually have a salad or banana with my lemon water after a workout. Your shake sound delicious to try adwilliam
  • adwilliams03
    adwilliams03 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    No problem! We're all here to learn, right? :) Salad and banana are good choices too! But yeah, I definitely recommend the shake if you enjoy milkshakes!