Overactive Appetite

Options
First, my history:
About 4 years ago, I had a pituitary tumor removed and then I lost a ton of weight. The pounds came off easily once my hormones returned to normal and I finally reached a healthy weight for the first time in my life. Three years ago, I quit smoking and put on about 15 pounds. I didn't try to lose it but I was still healthy and felt good about myself so that's where I stayed. A year and a half ago, I got pregnant and gained about 60lbs. Within a month after giving birth, I was 10lbs away from my pre-pregnancy weight. I was breastfeeding and not overeating because I wasn't all that hungry. In fact, I had to use MFP to make sure I was eating enough to provide proper nutrition to my baby. At 6 weeks postpartum, I was put on an antidepressant for postpartum depression. That sent my appetite into overdrive and no matter what I ate, I was always hungry. I gained 30lbs in 3 months. In total, I gained back 50lbs. I switched antidepressants after 3 months and my hunger subsided a bit. By the time my baby was 7 months old, I was completely off the meds.

Now:
My baby is 9 months old, I'm off all meds, I'm 50lbs overweight, and I still can't control my appetite. I've experimented with eating different foods, proteins, fiber, increasing my water intake, etc. I'm still hungry. All the time. It dawned on me that the only times in my life that I didn't feel hungrier than a normal person were after I got that tumor out of my head and those few weeks postpartum. My hormones are all normal now so that's not the reason for the hunger.

If any of you have some ideas why I might be feeling this way, please share them. I'm open to anything. Like I said, it's pretty much been lifelong. I've talked to doctors and they don't know the cause. My weight is starting to really bother me and I have no clothes that fit for summer. I don't have the money to go buy a larger wardrobe either. I'm very self-conscious now.

Replies

• wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    If you're still on any meds like the antidepressant, this could cause your body to act like it has diabetes. The blood sugar gets harder to control and thus your hunger signals are all mixed up. If you can do less carbs, then I'd try that. The important thing is to not go carb heavy on any meal or snack. Concentrate on eating your proteins (way more than what MFP wants, try upping your percentage of proteins to about 35% of your calories). If you hit your protein goal and stay at or under your calorie goal, the weight should come off easily. You'll probably hit a week or two of withdrawal from carbs (even if you conservatively eat 30-35% of your calories from carbs).

You don't have to go Atkins or South Beach, just balance out your protein and carbs and keep an eye out for the caloric intake overall. Good luck!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Hunger is a complex feeling. A lot of us don't even really know what true hunger feels like. There's often a difference between the desire to eat and actual hunger.

What is your dietary intake like? Are you getting a balance of nutritious foods? What is your fat intake like?
  • AdrienneKaren
    AdrienneKaren Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm not on any meds, but I'm wondering if they jacked me up and I need to do something to fix it. I'll try lowering my carb intake a bit and upping my protein. I've done South Beach before and it was hell so I decided doing something that drastic wasn't for me. Moderation, right? Luckily, I love things like quinoa and make things like that a regular part of my diet. I do have a thing for cookies though...

I think it's really hunger just because I can eat an entire meal and be well hydrated, but 15 minutes after I've finished my meal I feel as though I haven't eaten anything. It doesn't matter what I eat. I could eat a couple plates full from a buffet and I still feel that way. It's weird. I'm getting a little better at not eating after dinner and not overeating at home.

I don't always get a good balance of nutrients, but I usually do. I try to make sure I eat a big salad with dinner and have vegetables with lunch along with some protein. Breakfast is the easiest for me.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Some things that work in varying degrees of success for people with appetite issues:

1. Lowering carbs, upping fats
    2. Adding more exercise. For some people, cardio suppresses appetite.
    3. Going very low carb.
    4. Eating high volume, low calorie foods (though this sounds like it doesn't work for you)/
    5. Skipping/delaying breakfast/intermittent fasting protocols like 16/8.

When you eat, how quickly do you eat? Do you chew each mouthful thoroughly? Empty your mouth before taking the next bite?
  • AdrienneKaren
    AdrienneKaren Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty fast. I'm limited on time to eat at work and at home I have to eat super fast before the baby starts fussing. But, I eat a normal sized meal and wait because I know it takes awhile for the fullness signal to get from my stomach to my brain. I'm going to try lowering carbs and increasing protein and fat. We'll see how that works.