New with very limited cooking skills!

Options
hikarizx
hikarizx Posts: 15 Member
Hi everyone! I'm 24 and I'm looking to lose about 15 pounds. Ever since I started my full-time desk job I've slowly been gaining weight. I'm at about 140 and want to be at 125. I'm looking for any advice you might have and am looking for friends who want to motivate each other.

My biggest problem is I don't really know how to cook. I am very busy so I don't have a lot of time, so I am really interested in easy meals I can make in large quantities and pack for work for a couple days at a time. Any information is appreciated!

Nicole

Replies

• cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    can you take a cooking class? Or look on youtube!

I learned to cook from watching cooking shows on PBS and then the food network, back when it wasn't just celebrity chefs and fatty indulgence foods. Maybe do some digging around youtube for simple beginners cooking channels? I still look on youtube if I am trying to figure out something I'd like to cook like a thai dish or something.

If you want to do meal prepping, search the forums here for a lot of ideas. Spending a few hours once or twice a week getting ready to eat for the rest of the week will help you stay healthy and save money. Don't just make 1 big dish and expect to eat it for days on end; instead make a variety of foods you can keep on hand to be combined in different ways.

I just googled and this looks good: https://www.youtube.com/user/foodwishes
    there's a whole "techniques" section on that channel that seems useful.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/CHOW
    that too...or just search youtube for the specific question you have "how to make healthy lunches" for example.

What do you like to eat? is there anything you would like to learn? Feel free to message me if you want help.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    The first thing I would suggest is to get yourself a slow cooker/crockpot. You can put the ingredients in in the morning and come home to a great meal. Some things, like stews and chili, I will put together the night before and keep in the refrigerator, then put the pot in the base and turn it on in the morning. You can make large batches of all kinds of good food this way and either eat the same dinner a couple of days in a row or freeze portions for later meals.
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    This is a good thread on the kitchn, with a lot of interesting suggestions.
    http://www.thekitchn.com/best-food-blogs-for-novice-cooks-good-questions-189898
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your freshman 15 (that's what we called weight gain for people joining call centers :lol: ). There are lots of great websites, and if that mystifies you, look for videos on Youtube.
    Don't be afraid to experiment or try something new! Slow cookers are really great, and I've gotten some great recipes from Thekitchn
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    I eat alot of fresh foods, fruit, salad, hard boiled eggs. protein bars meat cooked in the store etc/ i do use the slow cooker that is soo easy
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Crockpot is a great idea for easy meals in large quantities. Soup or chili are good. You can freeze measured portions in containers or even Ziploc baggies, then have meals for lunch or dinner.

Another good website for low-cal meals is skinnytaste.com. I've learned a few new things to cook from following recipes on that site. Right now they are featuring 15 light and healthy salads, which are pretty easy to make.

I have lots of healthy recipes that I've created on my own, so would be happy to help!
  • StacyBlur
    StacyBlur Posts: 8
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hi a few great and easy salad recipes I can share with you... I got them at whole foods when I used to work there...

Spinach and Strawberries with Feta, without dressing is super healthy. But, they add Balsamic vinaigrette which also tastes great.

Avocado with Kale, salt, pepper, a little bit of Olive oil and lemon juice.

Mixed Greens with Maple-toasted Pecans, cranberries, tomatoes and red onion.

Those are three of my faves :) Also no actual cooking necessary except for the toasting of the pecans that are tossed with maple syrup.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 with three kids and I don't cook a whole lot either, lol ... I eat mini-meals all day long, none of which requires cooking. Our dinners are simple and balanced and usually don't require a recipe book either.

It sounds like you'd like to learn how to cook, though - so just jump in! What's the worst that could happen? It'll taste bad - but you'll learn. :) Good luck!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    some of my easy tips/recipes:
    I cook chicken breast in bulk (slow cook for about 8 hours with a mix of chicken broth and water) one day. Shred it all and put it in single serve portions. You can freeze them and pull them out as you use them if you want. It will be ready to throw on salad, wraps, make chicken salad, throw together a potpie or some type of casserole. (Potpie is super easy and can be calorie friendly, you just mix bisquick as per the instructions for pancakes on the box, line chicken and frozen veggies in a pan, pour condensed chicken soup [i like to mix mine with milk to make it a little more runny], put a layer of the bisquick on top and bake 350 till it browns a bit on top

I have started using ground turkey more than beef just because it fits my macros better and is a bit cheaper where I live. It is great in tacos or taco salad. I also do an enchilada casserole: brown 1lb meat, stir in 1 10oz can enchilada sauce, put 8 refrigerated biscuits in a baking pan [you know the kind that come in that can that pops open in the refrigerated section of the grocery store] and pour the meat/sauce over to, bake 350 for 35 mins, top with cheese and bake another 10 min

put chicken and salsa in crock pot on low for 8 hours, shreds and tastes alot fajita chicken, put in a tortilla or on salad or rice

shrimp alfredo
    chop up veggies of choice (I like onion, red bell pepper, and mushrooms) and cook on medium heat in a little bit of butter or oil. Add shrimp and cook until they are pinkish orange (if you start with frozen shrimp thaw them in a strainer so the water drips out, otherewise it waters down the sauce alot and its kinda ick) put in some alfredo sauce you like and allow that to warm up. Once the shrimp are cooked its best to not let this stay on heat forever because over cooked shrimp are kinda ick too. put on top of your favorite pasta

I find that I live vinegar on alot of my "green" veggies, especially kale and brussel sprouts. Just mix vinegar with some water and cook on medium heat until it boils/reduces down most of the way.

Cooking isn't that hard, you just have to do it some to realize how easy it is. Alot of the healthy recipes that I like only have 3 ingredients and 2 steps to making them.