Options
2»

Replies

• Sweet_Pea4
    Sweet_Pea4 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    RECowgill wrote: »
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=BH11j4kSQ8E

Alan Thrall's warmup routine. It's a long video but worth watching.

Couple of notes- you shouldn't be doing this much warmup/cooldown with every workout. Be selective about it, maybe only do some foam rolling one day and maybe only do leg related stretches another day. I believe he mentions something like that in the video, but its worth repeating. The video is like a total ideas list of possible things to do, not what you should do every time.

Not sure what issues you're running into exactly, but warmup for warmup sake is very unnecessary. You just have to listen to your body and do the bare minimum for preparation, whatever your body requires to be ready for lifting that day.

Continue to strength train, that will be the best way to solve any weaknesses you have.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

• LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    lulum1986 wrote: »
    I do a dynamic stretching warm up, alternating overhead reaches, high knees, squats with no weight and lunges with no weight before every workout. Really simple, and it gets me ready for whatever comes next.

I have tight hip flexors too, and the biggest help for them hands down has been yoga. There are so many poses focusing on opening the hips and hamstrings, plus strengthening the glutes and quads that it's a big help. The hip flexor work has eliminated a lot of knee pain that I had as well.

Are there any videos you have found useful in the yoga?

There are a lot! On youtube, if you look up yoga hip openers you'll find a ton. I like Ekhart yoga ang yoga with adrienne. There's also a site called yogadownload.com that is great- you can search their videos by focus area. They charge, but they also have a lot of videos available for free. I actually pay the fee- it's $8 a month and the teachers are good, plus you get to download 4 workouts per month at that level for when you don't have internet.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I have scleroderma, which means very tight joints and tendons with my particular disease progression. I don't do warmup stretches -- I do somewhere between 5 and 10 minutes of cardio (stationary bike) and go straight to lifting. If I'm having trouble with muscle or joint tightness I may select a moderately light dumbbell and do a few warm-up reps before moving to the heavy bar.

I haven't encountered a need for foam rolling yet, but I can see where it'd be really useful and also feel pretty darned good. I overextended my elbow when I was doing rows a couple of weeks ago and had a truly regrettable knot for a few days. Foam rolling would have helped immensely (she said, with perfect hindsight). If you're struggling with post-workout pain you should definitely look into a foam roll and work on your form.
  • Sweet_Pea4
    Sweet_Pea4 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I don't have any pain and not struggling either. Just been told to look some up to get a deeper squat that's all.