Workout Help For Those Over 50

Options

Replies

• tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    52 and started getting in shape in January. I downloaded lots of pre-made exercise and weight routines, some I liked, others I didn't, and finally found a good dumbbell workout from FitnessBliss.com. For cardio I do mainly treadmill, but also workouts from JessicaSmithTV (YouTube). I bought a HRM so I know what my heart rate is, too, during cardio. It's helped tremendously.

And if an exercise hurts, don't do it! There are lots of others (I can't do the Hip Abduction exercise, for example, so replaced it with either standing plies or leg swings... simple). Must be working because I actually have some muscle definition now.

Customize a routine and make it work for you. Good luck and keep moving :smile:
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

My weight loss does indeed equate to fat loss, which is my primary goal. Next in line would be cardiovascular health. Muscle mass retention with some gain would be third. Mobility is also very important. Is this reaching for too much, too soon? Would it be best to focus on losing the weight first, or would a multifaceted approach be healthier and better utilization of time?

You can focus on fat loss without totally leaving out strength. Do mostly cardio with some strength training and definitely do good stretching as often as you can and AFTER your workout not before. i.e. be nice and warm. And don't be afraid to try different things, some may not work for you but over time you'll build up a good repertoire that you can reshuffle and add to whenever you modify your goals.

For me, it's really important to feel that my fitness is improving, both cardio and strength, so I do both (lots of circuit training type workouts aka cardio with weights). Don't underestimate how effective compound movements (ie lunge with bicep curl) can be at elevating your heart rate. And a 15 minute stretch after every workout.

• CaliforniaRower
    CaliforniaRower Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 1/2 and I am a rower on the water. I have heard that rowing machines in gyms are one of the best workouts people our age can get. (If you don't live on/near water) You might want to try that. Low impact, high results.
  • dsimmons107
    dsimmons107 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    For me my age is irrelevant apart from progress and recovery being slower.

Sure as a generalisation in our 50's we may have had more time to accumulate injuries and in particular degenerative conditions but I detest the idea that I should train in some special way simply because I'm in my 50's. Yes I have to make allowances for mashed up knees and back but that's due to injury and not simply age.

I'm goal oriented and self-competitive the same as I've always been whether it's weights or cardio.

My advice would be the same irrespective of age, try everything and constantly push your limits in a progressive way.

I agree with this. I am 60 and my highest weight was 260. I got down to 168 and am currently at 190.
  • triciavetter
    triciavetter Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    for: justsayin - I loved your post. I know a few people in their 80-90's who are truly inspiring. "Just Move" is a great start. I just stood up from my desk and did stretches and squats! I sit in front of a computer and phone all day helping people. I'm tying to do some simple exercises whenever I can during the day. I'm 56 and even though I have some arthritis and back pain, I'm not letting it stop me. I think a combination is great.
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I have no real advice for how you should reach your goals. I know what I've done, but that's all I could speak to.

However, as far as "keeping your eyes on the prize" so to speak - there is a fellow in my subdivision who is 70 if he is a day and he loops the rest of us runners in the neighborhood. I always feel like "dang it, if he can do this, I have no valid excuses" when I see him. Anytime I need even more inspiration, I go onto the local race timing website and look at the results from recent runs. There are men and women in their 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's out there posting good times. I have decided that I want to be one of those people one day. (Well, I want to have their times. . .I don't/won't race.)
  • shadowloss
    shadowloss Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    As I'm approaching the midway point of life (50), I couldn't agree more with the comments I've read. I started "moving" about 6 months ago, and although I haven't been as consistent as I like, I can definitely tell a difference. The most important comment I read, is to find something you like to do. Lifting, walking, biking, racquetball, pickle ball, strolling the mall. Whatever it is that you enjoy. If you can find someone that likes the same thing, it's great to have an accountability partner.

I've got back to the point, where I can go racing through the sand dunes with my son on our ATV's and it may look easy, but it's one of the hardest workouts I do and I have a ball doing it.
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I hit the big FIVE-OH last October and have been doing weight training for somewhere around 3.5-4 years now and I LOVE it. I hate doing cardio, other than when the weather's nice and I can get my handcycle out.... but I'm absolutely hooked on weight training. I definitely agree with what @RECowgill said, though... it's important to find something that you enjoy doing because that helps to ensure that you'll stick with it.

If you do decide to go the route of any form of weight training, I found this site some time back that has various articles on building muscle after 40.... https://buildingmuscleover40.wordpress.com/
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I have a feeling that strength/muscle mass will move up in your priorities as you approach your fat loss goal.
    I would bet on it.
  • mdmess2013
    mdmess2013 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you are confused by all the suggestions, remember that any exercise that combines strength with cardio will give you the fastest overall fitness results. This has worked great for me, and I'm almost 50.

Consider buying some workout videos you can do at home.  I highly recommend Jillian Michaels' 30 day shred video.  It is not a new video, but it takes only 20 minutes and includes jumping jacks and jump rope motions for the cardio portions so its really suitable for all fitness levels.  You can burn 300+ calories in less than a 1/2 hour and it's under $10 on Amazon. I have stayed at Level 1 and Level 2 and I am dropping weight consistently while strengthening core and building muscle.

Also, an easy way to get pretty accurate calorie counts is to purchase an inexpensive heart rate monitor that will bluetooth to your cell phone.  I use the Wahoo TICKR and it works great (about $60 on Amazon).  If you download a free app like Digifit, it will upload your daily calorie burns to MFP automatically.

This way you can actually measure your food and calories, you would get a pretty solid answer for your true CICO numbers.  It has worked great for me... I'm down a steady 17 lbs in about 45 days!

With some daily exercise and calorie counting, you can change your life.  Just remember to be patient and use tried and true techniques. Good luck with your journey!

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Alternate these two exercises four days with 20-40 minutes of cardio:
    • Squats/Push-Ups/Pull-Ups/Sit-Ups/Bridges
    • Static Lunges/RKC Plank/Step-Ups/Pull-Ups
    4 sets of 8-12 reps

Alter the above as you go. Start with chair squats, counter-height push-ups, etc. Add weights as you get stronger.

Play on weekends. Pick a sport. Go for a hike, ride, sail... Play soccer, tennis, baseball... Have fun on weekends.
    Get stronger and faster during the week.

• HappyTrails7
    HappyTrails7 Posts: 878 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    So much great information is being shared here, thank you. I had to look up some of the acronyms and workout descriptions, but I am always happy to learn new things. (I wish there was a thumbs up icon).
  • JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to chime in with the story of a woman at my gym. I noticed her when I first started going. I thought to myself that she was probably in her mid to late 60's. She was my idol! I would watch her on the treadmill and then she would go and lift weights. Someone eventually introduced me to her and I find out that, this women I thought was in her 60's, was 89 years old! 89.

When I asked her how long she had been going to the gym, she told me she started at the age of 54. She walks at the mall 3 days a week and then does the gym 2 days a week. She tells me her secret is to just move. Do SOMETHING. ANYTHING.

So it's never too late. Just do something.

Totally motivated me.
  • HappyTrails7
    Options
    I found a helpful e-book: "Health and Fitness for Men Over 50: Winning Back virility and vitality is easier than you think." by William Ryan

MFP - Fifty plus (or so) Support Group
  • HappyTrails7
    Options
    Well for what it is worth I think I boiled it down to the following: our bodies are designed to do a variety of tasks, not just heavy lifting, not just cardio, not just yoga, ect. With that being said, I think it is wise to take a holistic approach and do what you are capable of doing in each of these areas, gradually increasing these activities as your body is able. Everything in moderation if you will, including food.

• maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Well for what it is worth I think I boiled it down to the following: our bodies are designed to do a variety of tasks, not just heavy lifting, not just cardio, not just yoga, ect. With that being said, I think it is wise to take a holistic approach and do what you are capable of doing in each of these areas, gradually increasing these activities as your body is able. Everything in moderation if you will, including food.

Taking a holistic approach works for me - I now eat for health as well as enjoyment, not too much and not too little (amounting to a 45# weight loss in about a year) and walk a LOT - started small and now walk outside at least 4 miles a day and often more. Then last summer I started a weight training program because, now in my middle 60s, I don't want to be "frail" in the coming decades as long as I can avoid it, and as a female, I need to preserve bone health. I take occasional weeks where I don't lift, just walk. So what else? yard work, house work, stairs just in the course of daily life ... that stuff is WAY easier now.

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    For me, what works best is swimming. I'm addicted to chlorine now.
    Best part is I don't have to feel the sweat. Ha!
    No joint impact either.
    Second choice for aerobic is spinning classes.
    In the weight room I adapt based on the various joints that are range limited due to arthritis. No barbell squats due left shoulder. But dumbbell squats and machine squats work.
    Working with a trainer with experience in adaptive fitness is a big plus.
    I take the motto 'adapt or get fat' :)
  • italy10548
    italy10548 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I try to mix it up with - walking every day, swimming once a week, and Classical Stretch by Miranda Esmonde white (on PBS TV I record) 2-3 times a week if my schedule with the teenagers allows. This last one is newly added and I love it. Over the last 3 months I have noticed how much better I feel and I can walk and stand at events with my kiddos without wearing out. If I'm sore or tired I rest a day then reevaluate. I'm planning to add strength training later in this journey when all this tracking food and exercise becomes routine. So thankful I found MFP to track what works for me!
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Happy - I know how you feel. I have lower back and knee problems. I just didn't know what would make my joints better/worse or what I should be doing to get fit and strong without damaging myself - cardio/weights/both/just doing some walking. Anyway, I just read this book called "Younger next year" by Chris Crowley and Henry S. Lodge MD. It is fantastic, informative and inspirational, written by two people who know what they are talking about. It is aimed at men over 50. I have learned so much, and all I can say, is please read it if you can get a copy. There is a women's version, but the information and advice in the book is the same.