Protein shakes to get the daily protein intake yayyyy or natty?

Options
i am a vegetarian and find it really difficult to keep my daily goals of protein. Actually I have never been able to get my daily intake however hard I try. Is protein shake the way to go in this case?
I workout 6 days a week with minimum 30 mins every day.

Is there a difference in the type of protein shake to choose for men and women?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Try asking here -- where vegetarians hang out:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/45-happy-herbivores
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    A lot of vegetarians I know find it challenging to meet their protein needs so i you are open to a protein shake there are vegetarian protein powders out there (you can find some online reviews of various brands) - or you could really fashion your meals around making sure you get complete protein -
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with one protein shake per day to give you a protein boost. I personally don't think it's a good idea to rely on protein shakes to get most of your protein though, but then again, I'm no expert lol.

If you're the type of vegetarian that eats eggs and dairy, eggs are a decent source of protein. Cheese and milk have some protein and Greek yogurt is a GREAT source of natural protein!

I'd also HIGHLY recommend lentils! They're a great source of both protein and fiber! One cup of boiled lentils is 230 calories, only 1g of fat, 16g of fiber, and 18g of protein! Other beans and legumes are good sources of protein as well, such as lima beans, kidney beans, and black beans! Other decent natural protein sources that I can think of right now are nuts, nut butters, and certain breads and pastas.