Getting protein without fat

Options
I have been focusing on meeting my protein macro lately.. I have yet to actually reach it, but I have noticed an almost direct correlation between protein and fat. Most days I meet or go over my fat macro.

My protein sources are:
Protein drink for breakfast
Nuts and cheese for snacks
Meat with supper

I'm sure that the nuts and cheese are the problem but I'm not sure what else to snack on.. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Why do you believe fat is bad?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yes, protein and fat go together well. Fat is a good preservative. Fats also have all the fat soluble vitamins.

It's the nuts and cheese.

You could try PB2 and add water. Switch to a low-fat aged cheddar, or Greek Yogurt.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, baby bel light, low fat yogurt?
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    To boost your protein drink, that is if you blend it, you could try additives like chia seeds, wheat germ, PB2. Edamame is low in calories and high in protein. I sprinkle my salads with nutritonal yeast. 3g protein per serving. Does your lunch have meat in it? And how many grams of protein is your breakfast drink?
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    My go to snacks for protein are Greek yogurt cottage cheese and shrimp with cocktail sauce, yum!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast. Tuna.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Why do you believe fat is bad?

OP didn't say fat was bad.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Hardboiled egg with 2 Fat free slices deli sliced turkey breast(Great Value brand 1 ounce per slice) and Fat Free Feta? Or Nature's Harvest Light Whole Wheat Bread(80calories for 2 slices), fat free sliced cheese, 2 Fat free slices deli sliced turkey breast(Great Value brand), egg whites. Makes a nice sandwich high in protein, low in fat and calories? Or Artic Zero ice cream(no fat, 12g protien)? Just some ideas...
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »
    Hardboiled egg with 2 Fat free slices deli sliced turkey breast(Great Value brand 1 ounce per slice) and Fat Free Feta? Or Nature's Harvest Light Whole Wheat Bread(80calories for 2 slices), fat free sliced cheese, 2 Fat free slices deli sliced turkey breast(Great Value brand), egg whites. Makes a nice sandwich high in protein, low in fat and calories? Or Artic Zero ice cream(no fat, 12g protien)? Just some ideas...

Just curious, have you found an Artic Zero flavor worth consuming?

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Sashimi. Just watch out for some of the high oil fish.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • betuel75
    Options
    VegasFit wrote: »

Just curious, have you found an Artic Zero flavor worth consuming?

ehh, I like the vanilla maple or somthing like that best. I sprinkle PB2 or Flax seed meal in it for better flavor... It serves it purpose as i can sit on the couch and snack for like an hour for low calories. Longest food to mouth snacking for the least amount of calories... :smiley:
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    What are you current macro settings that you're concerned about your fat being too much?

As MrM said, tuna, chicken, and egg whites are all low in fat, but you might not need to watch fats so much as redistribute your macros, depending on where they sit now.

Are you feeling satisfied with your intake now? Any hunger at all?
  • jms14letgo
    jms14letgo Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I didn't say fat is bad.. I was just concerned that I was regularly going over that particular macro while not meeting my protein macro.

My breakfast protein powder has 25 grams of protein in it.
    Yes, I do usually have protein with lunch. A tuna sandwhich normally. :)

I could try hardboiled eggs for snacks. I didn't even think about those. Turkey lunchmeat sounds good too.
    I have never heard of Artic Zero ice cream, but judging by Vegasfit's questions.. I might hold off on that. Haha.

I have also never heard of Sashimi, though google makes it look similar to sushi. So I might hold off on that one too. ;)

Thanks for all the responses!
  • jms14letgo
    jms14letgo Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My macros are 40/30/30 carbs/protein/fat. No hunger since I upped my intake to 1600 cals a day.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Arctic Zero is gross and a huge waste of money, unless you like vaguely flavored ice.

I do a lot of chicken, fish, eggs and dairy for protein. low-fat dairy is a good, solid bet for protein without the fat.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    jms14letgo wrote: »
    My macros are 40/30/30 carbs/protein/fat. No hunger since I upped my intake to 1600 cals a day.

Thanks for answering. That's a good split. Good for you for upping your calories in response to hunger!

Don't over worry about going over on a macro here or there. If you're doing any sort of strength training, just focus on hitting that protein macro and let the other two fall where they may (staying within your calorie goals, of course). Over time, if you eat a nutrient-dense diet (for the most part), things tend to balance themselves out.
  • upgradeddiddy
    upgradeddiddy Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    jms14letgo wrote: »
    I have been focusing on meeting my protein macro lately.. I have yet to actually reach it, but I have noticed an almost direct correlation between protein and fat. Most days I meet or go over my fat macro.

My protein sources are:
    Protein drink for breakfast
    Nuts and cheese for snacks
    Meat with supper

I'm sure that the nuts and cheese are the problem but I'm not sure what else to snack on.. Any suggestions?

How are your carbs? You can save more calories and get more volume of food if you replace the cheese or nuts for veggies or salad or my personal favorite, flavored rice cakes. But if your are already meeting carbs try having a small amount of jerky instead of cheese
  • betuel75
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Arctic Zero is gross and a huge waste of money, unless you like vaguely flavored ice.

To each his own. I dont think its gross. She can try and decide for herself if she wants...
  • upgradeddiddy
    upgradeddiddy Posts: 281 Member
    Options

These are solid choices too