When do get hungry & how do you deal?

Options
After working and being good all day long, I get home and lose all sense of discipline. Today I ate a banana before I left work. Hopefully that will curb my appetite when I get home. Does this happen to anyone else?

Replies

• MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    are you a night eater? what do you mean by being good all day long?
    What do you have at home that requires discipline?

For me... I am a night eater... so out of my 2200 calorie day, I try to save half for dinner and onwards (unless I'm doing a workout that day).

That's what works for me.

If you find you're better eating throughout the day, then do that.

As long as you are getting enough calories.

what is your goal?
    what's your current calorie budget?
    what are your stats? (ht / age / wt)
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    i do what you do so when i do get home i dont; eat everything in sight
  • tinamarie03053
    tinamarie03053 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    @MireyGal76- I guess I am a night eater. During the day, I'm healthy and consistent. Small portions every few hours with lots of water in between.
    At home, it's not really the quality of food but the quantity. Healthy meals in large quantities are defeating the purpose :-/
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Actually that's funny because a banana near the end of the work day is one of my crutches for staving off dinnertime hunger. But I just think of it as splitting lunch into a main lunch and a banana lunch.
  • BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I completely know the struggle! I do well all day long with staying full and drinking water and then after dinner when I'm home from work or class and done with my workout, I usually just hang out with my boyfriend and relax and do homework. That's my hardest time! For some reason I'm always starving in the evenings and at night and want to snack. Living with a 24 year old guy doesn't make it any easier lol... He keeps all kinds of chips and pop tarts and fried foods around and he can eat and eat and not gain. I usually do ok staying on track on evenings when he's home, but when he's out and it's just me I struggle with bingeing at night :/ so I understand how hard it is! I try what someone else suggested... Saving more of my calories for night since I know that's when I get hungrier. Other than that I try to just distract myself after I'm done eating and get myself away from the snacks and get my mind off them! Add me if you'd like so we could maybe support each other and share ideas if we find things that work for us :)
  • tinamarie03053
    tinamarie03053 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    @moon_childxo My banana at the end of the day technique seemed to prevent snacking before dinner last night. I still over ate dinner though. I'm going to keep trying different things. If anything else helps, I'll keep you posted
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    @moon_childxo My banana at the end of the day technique seemed to prevent snacking before dinner last night. I still over ate dinner though. I'm going to keep trying different things. If anything else helps, I'll keep you posted

It may seem silly... But try switching to a smaller dinner plate. Mentally, you're still eating a full plate, but physically you're consuming less. It's actually made a big difference for me!
  • SallyinIL
    SallyinIL Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I carry an energy bar or a very small container of almonds in my purse. If I get hungry, and the next meal is only about an hour away, I can have a few almonds to hold the pangs off. If the meal is going to be later, I'll eat the energy bar.

It has taken me a little bit of experimenting to see just what I need to hold me over until the next meal but not so much that I end up overdoing it. I was astonished to learn that it didn't take much.
  • Cardio4Cupcakes
    Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I eat a snack on my way home from work, then eat dinner around 7. After cleanup and getting ready for bed, I'm usually asleep by 9 (i like to sleep lol). It helps me not snack at night.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    I save calories for the evening because I know I'm going to eat then.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I like smaller plates, too, and a side bowl of salad for extra bulk and veggies/nutrition. I drink a lot of water/liquid before and while eating, with a coffee or tea after. I try and save enough calories for a nice sweet treat in the evening, so I can know I can look forward to it at 8 or 9 pm.
  • sendami
    sendami Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with the same problem, I'm trying to eat a bit more of proteins as it seems if you eat something like fruit your body is going to ask for more food because of the sugar that they contain. I'm trying yo be ready at dinner time, eating bit a bit during the day, but sometimes it's just imposible so what I do is doing exercise or just keep myself busy delaying go home.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the same problem. I'm a night eater, so I leave calories for the end of the night, but I do get a strong desire to munch. It usually happens when I start to settle down, so I try to find calm activities that use my hands, like writing or play video games so I don't mindlessly eat.
  • zipitzippy
    zipitzippy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have a more protein filled lunch. I used to have this issue too, so I now make sure I keep active after dinner - get out the house, go to the gym/exercise class, go for a walk, anything that will keep me away from the cupboards. I used to snack on rice cakes, as a replacement for crisps but they are not great as I know I won't stop! So distraction is your best tactic. Or tea after you eat so you know you're full & can't fit anything else in!
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    sendami wrote: »
    I'm struggling with the same problem, I'm trying to eat a bit more of proteins as it seems if you eat something like fruit your body is going to ask for more food because of the sugar that they contain. I'm trying yo be ready at dinner time, eating bit a bit during the day, but sometimes it's just imposible so what I do is doing exercise or just keep myself busy delaying go home.

I have been doing this too adding protein. It keeps me fuller longer.
  • katnroyal87
    katnroyal87 Posts: 8,789 Member
    Options
    I am a huge night time snacker. I make sure I reach my protein goals and usually try and have two snacks at night. If I'm hungry and have run out of allotted calories I busy myself doing something to get my mind off of it. Watching a show playing a game on the I pad reading a book etc.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    For me... I am a night eater... so out of my 2200 calorie day, I try to save half for dinner and onwards (unless I'm doing a workout that day).

This is exactly what I do, too. I don't handle hunger well at night.
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Water. Diet Soda. Think of how much more I'd have to exercise to compensate for what I'm about to eat. Think of the jeans that still don't fit well.

Or get out of the house, do something engrossing that will distract me (read a book, play a video game).
  • wwstewart
    wwstewart Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    It happens to me a lot. Usually, when I get hungry I just eat. But...I have been trying to learn when I'm hungry and when I'm just bored. For me, that's the real trouble.
  • goddessheatherr
    goddessheatherr Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I read you can actually go 4 hours without your body going to fat storing failure mode. So I have been eating a good portion breakfast, lunch & dinner. I also eat a post workout meal. No snacks. I eat a good amount of protein. If for some reason I get hungry I re evaluate what I ate for the day (bc I journal everything) and see why I was hungry, maybe I need to add more or switch something out.