Looking for a tea

Options
2»

Replies

• 2ledbetter
    2ledbetter Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I understand what you meant by not liking tea. I used to drink coke then sweet, sweet tea. But my blood sugars were high so I cut out the sugary drinks and went to unsweetened green tea. It took a couple of times before I developed a taste for it, but now I love it. I have tried several of the Teavana Teas. The staff have always been helpful, you can purchase a drink to try a flavor out and if you purchase tea then don't like it you can return it. I hadn't heard they had toxins in the tea. I'll have to do some research on that.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,091 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I find tea to be quite bitter and it isn't my favourite drink ... or wasn't until I discovered rooibos tea and lemon-ginger tea.

They both seem to have a milder and sweeter flavour which I like. And I don't have to add anything to them to make them taste good.

I especially like the Aurora Medaglia D'oro Lemon & Ginger tea ... and I'm trying to remember what the rooibos tea I like is called.

The rooibos tea I like is ...

Tetley's Cinnamon Orange with a rooibos blend. It is really nice ... somewhat sweet naturally, without having to add sugar.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to drink tea? If you don't like it don't drink it.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    So many teas...something for every palate. The great thing is there's a different tea for whatever mood you're in, time of day, and what you have a taste for. My daily go-to tea is a Chinese green tea called Lungching (Dragonwell). This particular green tea is picked young and has a sight sweetness and does not get bitter even if it is steeped a long time. I get it dirt cheap at a local Chinese market (about $5 for 100 tea bags). At night or if you are under the weather a chamomile or mint tea is very relaxing and soothing. Tazo makes a nice Refresh Mint, Numi - Moroccan Mint and Celestial Seasons Sleepytime is a classic. Lately my wife has also started drinking Celestial Seasons Bengal Spice. It tastes very much like a spicy chai especially if you add milk to it. For making a fruity and refreshing ice tea we use Celestial Seasons Country Peach Passion. Then there are all kinds of exotics like Wissotzky Nana Mint with Ginger and Lemon. Really, for someone to say they don't like tea just means they haven't tried the right one yet.

Aside from the healthy aspects of tea, it's hard to beat the bang for the buck. My Chinese green is costing me 5 cents a cup; even the pricier ones that are $6-7 for 20 bags still comes out to only 30-35 cents a cup. So try a bunch out and see what you suits your fancy...
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Harney and Sons-Hot Cinnamon Sunset. F'ing heaven.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I really like Yogi ginger tea
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    If u don't like tea. Drink water. Best.

But if yo really want to try, There are different types of tea - black, green, flowers. So, lots of choices if u really want to try.

If u don't like the strong taste, try the flower type - rose, lavender, crysanthemum, camomile,

For green tea - try sencha- Japanese green tea, unfortunately I can't find good ones in US.

By the way - to make a good cup of tea, water is important - tap water is usually too hard, there's a certain weird taste to it, try using spring water, at 95 degree Celsius, to get best taste.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    jlohcook wrote: »
    tap water is usually too hard, there's a certain weird taste to it,

This depends 100% on the water quality in your area. The tap water where I live is ridiculously soft and pure. If your tap water is generally considered drinkable without any other conditioning, it's fine...

I wouldn't make tea with Los Angeles tap water. TDS (total dissolved solids) of tap water in LA is about 320ppm (parts per million). It is very hard water. My TDS out of the tap is 12ppm. It is soft and those fridge filters are pretty worthless for our water.

Not all tap water is "created" equal.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    nshenay14 wrote: »
    So, I don't like tea...but I know it's super good for you, and I gave up soda like a month ago. What is a tea out there that I might actually like to drink?

Huh?

How is tea "super good for you"?

Don't like it, don't drink it
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of the taste of the water where I live, so I drink a LOT of herbal fruit tea from Celestial Seasonings. I love the wild berry and blueberry flavors. They're sweet enough that I don't have to add anything to them, and I can put a tea bag in a bottle of water and flavor my cold water as well without using any water flavor liquids/powders with chemicals I can't pronounce.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I love tea and have quite a variety, including black, oolong, green, white and some scented or flower teas like jasmine and Earl Grey Creme I don't like tisanes (infusions made from anything other than the tea plant, usually and incorrectly called "herbal tea").

Having said that, someone gave me a box of Celestial Seasonings Madagascar vanilla rooibos for Christmas and I really like it. I don't even need to put anything in it and I usually make my tea with a small amount of sugar and skim milk. I also infuse cracked dried ginger if I am feeling some nausea.

People are suggesting Teavana because you can smell the canister, buy a small amount , and sometimes even taste it at the store before you buy. If you have any kind of local tea shop that is not Teavana, that would be a good place to go too. You have no idea what the names we throw out there mean, or what catalog or online descriptions refer to so out suggestions are really meaningless. You need to try and buy, or just pick something off the grocery store shelf and hope for the best.

Why do you think you need to start drinking tea? That might help us make more specific suggestions. Are you looking for the caffeine? Go with green. Are you looking for something that is good iced? Best with black. Do you like what they serve in a Chinese restaurant? That would be oolong. Are you just looking for a hot drink in order to get more water in? Herbal tisanes might be your best bet.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    threnjen wrote: »
    jlohcook wrote: »
    tap water is usually too hard, there's a certain weird taste to it,

This depends 100% on the water quality in your area. The tap water where I live is ridiculously soft and pure. If your tap water is generally considered drinkable without any other conditioning, it's fine...

I wouldn't make tea with Los Angeles tap water. TDS (total dissolved solids) of tap water in LA is about 320ppm (parts per million). It is very hard water. My TDS out of the tap is 12ppm. It is soft and those fridge filters are pretty worthless for our water.

Not all tap water is "created" equal.

It also depends on the amount of chlorine and chloramines the municipal water utility uses. My water tastes awful so I keep a filter pitcher in the fridge. It is still really hard after filtering, but the filter takes out the chlorine, chloramine, and some of the heavy metals like iron so it tastes great. I find that conditioned water has a funny taste (like a combination of salt and garlic) and prefer tap water (filtered or not, depending on the location). There are really old springs in the city and occasionally I am able to get a gallon or two from them. The water is just as hard as tap water, but it doesn't have the additives so it tastes really good.

• lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Celestial Seasonings acai mango zinger or raspberry zinger. So.Very.Good.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I love this stuff.
    3o916g3otplf.png
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Lap sang su chong is very good it is like coffee mildly sweet. Find it at a real tea shop or herb store. Peach tea, ginger tea, herbal tea, yerba mate, I like throat coat by traditional medicinals it has sweet flavor, chocolate smooth move for a chocolate flavor but its to go bm, blueverry slimlife detox tea, rooibos.
  • stephenial
    stephenial Posts: 1
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I am a tea addict and have a large tea collection! I would suggest Darjeeling tea. Twinings makes a good one. This tea is known as the "champagne of teas" because it is smooth. It is a black tea so it does have caffeine. I typically recommend this one to friends who are wanting to start drinking tea. I love teavana however they add so much sugar to their samples that it is sometimes not a true taste of the product. Also, not sure why folks say tea has no health benefits. Tea has antioxidants (especially the more unprocessed teas like green and white) - just Google it to find all kind of interesting health benefits of tea