Treadmill or Outdoors

Options
2»

Replies

• spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I don't/can't do running due to bone on bone left knee but do alot of walking. I can't stand to walk on treadmill inside. Walking outside I love! I try to walk 1-2 miles in 20 to 30 min on my lunch time and then if not going to gym I will walk 2 miles at home on country road. I only walk outside in daylight in safe areas too.
    I am bummed out due to my left knee causing me issues since yesterday. No gym or walks for now. I ended up taking a pain killer at work today it was hurting so bad just sitting in my office. If not better by Monday I guess I will be calling the knee ortho to get in. Since loosing alot of weight in 2012-2013 I haven't had much issues w my knees. Both are messed up but the left one is the worse.
    Good luck and enjoy running! I wish I could run . I've tried and my knees can't handle it even after loosing all this weight.
  • njfitnessmom
    njfitnessmom Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I do both but I much prefer to run outside. But when hubby is at class at night, the treadmill works since I have little ones. But whenever I can I run outside. I just enjoy my runs so much more. It also really makes it feel like "me time" whereas when I'm on the treadmill I'm still there and trust me the kids will come bother me.
  • cje151
    cje151 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Outside for sure! Love change of scenery.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Outdoors definitely! Now that the ice and snow is gone, I am out there every day, unless there are thunderstorms. I do have an in-between choice. The underground parking in my apartment complex is like a giant "U" and five times around is just shy of a mile. It is more interesting than a treadmill, although not as nice as outdoors.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I'm atypical. The treadmill destroys my hamstrings, while running causes me no problems. Plus, it's a lot more enjoyable.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    What's a treadmill?
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    My favorite is the treadmill, when I'm done I can just pick up the endorphins and take them with me. Outside, I always leave a trail.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    It's funny because I think running outside is easier than running on my treadmill. I do enjoy running outside more just because it's harder to track time/distance vs. on a treadmill when it's staring me in the face.

I do have to run on a treadmill more often because I have little kids. I've joined the YMCA recently and I take my treadmill runs there a few times a week just for a change of scenery. Although, the treadmills there are quite bouncy and feel easier than my treadmill at home. Again, it's probably all in my head.

I do think mixing it up is good.

• LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I know there are lots of opinions about treadmills vs. running outside and everyone has their reasons for preferring one over the other. But for me, once I started running outside, especially on trails, it made very difficult for me to go inside and use a tread mill. Here is a little video on my last two trail races and maybe you will understand why I struggle with the treadmill...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLyphBuSBic
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,177 Member
    Options
    Both!

I love going for long walks outside ... but the treadmill is much more convenient and attractive on chilly rainy windy dark winter days. Also for some reason, I feel more inclined to run on the treadmill than I do outside.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I know there are lots of opinions about treadmills vs. running outside and everyone has their reasons for preferring one over the other. But for me, once I started running outside, especially on trails, it made very difficult for me to go inside and use a tread mill. Here is a little video on my last two trail races and maybe you will understand why I struggle with the treadmill...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLyphBuSBic

Know both trails. I have walked just about every segment of the Ice Age Trail as well as other State trails not part of the IAT. Yes, this is also why I prefer outdoors. Many urban walks/runs can be just a beautiful, for different reasons. Ever done the Lake Geneva Lakeshore trail?