pork - is it good or bad?

Options
124»

Replies

• MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    pork%2Bthe%2Bother%2Bwhite%2Bmeat.gif
    bacon_the_gateway_meat_bumper_sticker-r5b1be00d1f98416d9daaa50fb88af309_v9wht_8byvr_512.jpg
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Pork is not bad for you, but conventional US pork is apparently pretty bad on the spectrum of animal welfare and sustainable practices (when compared to other animals).
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    pork is my favorite protein besides bacon ham and scrapple
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Well.

PorkFood cooked well is GOOD.
    PorkFood that is overcooked, dry, and underseasoned is BAD.

I have spoken.

Fixed...

(But yes I agree with the original)

I WAS TRYING TO STICK TO THE TOPIC AT HAND.

(But, yeah, I agree with your edits as well)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    it is neither good or bad, it is just food.

make sure that you hit your calorie/macro/micro targets and don't worry about "good" or "bad" food...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    yogicarl wrote: »
    eating any animal is just weird.

conversely, thinking that it is weird to eat animals, is the pinnacle of weirdness.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Pork chops and pork sausage are alright. Pork tenderloin makes me gag. Bacon is the food of the gods.

As stated, no food is inherently "good" or "bad." If you like it and it fits into your calorie/macro goals, eat it.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I did have center cut, bone in pork chops, with barbeque sauce on them last night, and that was the bomb digs yo!!
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    kace_kay wrote: »
    Pork isn't red meat... it's slogan is the other, other white meat... and it's delicious all around!

The fact that they used that slogan is a tip-off that it's not a white meat.

White meat is poultry.

Mammals are "red" meat.
    Pigs be mammals.

They started that slogan when they started breeding pigs to be leaner. (i.e. drier) This is why you never use an older meat thermometer or recipes on pork. Sawdust guaranteed.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I was not aware that any meat was inherently bad for you. Personally, I eat pork tenderloin and pork sirloin tip all of the time...it's very lean and excellent sources of protein. Due to the leanness, it is also low calories.

I also like to indulge in fattier cuts from time to time like ribs, shoulder, etc...but those are more calories dense. As meat goes, that's all I really worry about...what's the calorie hit?
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,513 Member
    Options
    AlciaMode wrote: »
    I just had easter Ham for breakfast. Regrets = 0. Verdict: GOOD

We're still working on our ginormous Easter Ham. I've eaten it thrice now (it was a real, bone in ham, none of this weird spiral sliced, sugared up stuff)
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options

SCRAPPLE!!!! How could I POSSIBLY forget about the wonderful substance known as SCRAPPLE.

So hungry for yummy scrapple now...
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Pork chops. Pork tenderloin makes me gag.

These two cuts are *almost* the same...
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Pork is an awesome animal and very tasty. It is also a large part of the calories that got me to this place of having to eat it a lot less often than I'd like. I still eat it, just in much (much) smaller portions.

I've made sausage for years and have done a few bellies worth of bacon as well as some classic cured meats like landjaeger and kulen. Pulled pork, roast stuffed loins, ribs, carefully cooked tenderloin....I'm swooning here. Pork liver pate, natural casings, head cheese, the list of deliciousness we get from swine is extensive.

About sodium nitrate/nitrite: Nitrites have been used for millenia to cure meats. We're talking ancient Romans here. There was a scare back in the '70s that linked excess nitrite intake to cancer but that has been pretty much put to rest. Yes, too much is an actual toxin, but the very small amount used for cured products is very safe. Nitrate is added to long-term cured products like salami and during the course of the curing process, the nitrate converts to nitrite. Sodium nitrite is what makes cured meat stay pink and lends a distinct flavor to the final product.

There are many veggies that are contain high amounts of nitrite, one of which is celery. Some products that claim to be "uncured" or "no added nitrite" have celery juice listed as an ingredient. So that uncured bacon? It's still being cured, still having nitrite added to it, but it's more "natural" because it's hiding in the celery. It wouldn't taste like bacon if it wasn't cured with sodium nitrite. It would be (delicious) pork belly strips, but it wouldn't be bacon.

The nitrate and nitrate one can purchase to do home curing is dyed pink so it is easy to identify and not ingest accidentally.

</pig nerd>