Bananas!?!

Options
2»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    zzaped wrote: »
    Excess sugar can CAUSE the health issues you are all saying "Don't worry unless you have _"

But Im talking about excess sugars/added sugars in processed/low fat food etc.

As long your sugars are all coming from natural sugars AND AS LONG as the fruit is still intact (I.e not juiced) it's fine to be over your sugar content.

But its NOT OKAY to go over sugar if you are getting it from sucrose/HFCS etc
    That's not necessarily true. Studies so far have shown that the body doesn't seem to know the difference between HFCS and regular sugar.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/20516261/

"Nevertheless, dietary advice to limit consumption of all added caloric sweeteners, including HFCS, is warranted"
    "Limit consumption of all added caloric sweeteners." =/= DO NOT GO OVER THE MYFITNESSPAL DAILY RECOMMENDATION FOR SUGAR UNLESS IT'S FROM FRUIT!!!1

MyFitnessPal's daily recommendation for sugar is considered to be very, very low.
    heh.

Nailed it!!

Also. jsut for reference- banana's have the same satiating impact of a cookie.

Which is why I fondly refer to them as "banookies"

and why I rarely have them outside of "crap I'm having potassium issues and I'm cramping a lot for no good reason"- because usually I'd rather just have the cookie.
    But they are tasty with yogurt.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    mandiRN1 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the input!! I am not a diabetic and have no health issues. Maybe just a mental thing to look at my daily goals and see that of all things my SUGAR goal has gone over, of course if it were protein I probably wouldn't think anything of it but since we are all here to eat healthier, feel better and lose some weight the last goal I want to go over on is sugar. I am a nurse so I know how sugar works in the body but definitely not a dietician who would know specifics. I started my journey January 19, 2015 starting at 204lbs as of April 7th 2015 i am down to 183.4lbs. My goal is 175lbs. So I think I'm doing pretty good, just wanted others thoughts on what is a good amount of sugar. Goal is to loose 1.5lb week and calorie intake with exercise considered is 1340 a day. Thanks again!!!

Switch out sugar for fiber. Sugar gets counted in the carbs anyway, and if you are getting enough fiber presumably a good ratio of your carbs aren't processed sugar/sugary treats but natural sugar in fruit/veggies or other starchy carbs with fiber like whole grains and beans.
  • Silverstar721
    Silverstar721 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    With Summertime coming up, I like to take a banana and slice it..then lay the slices out inside a plastic bag. I freeze them and eat them like popsicles. You can also do this with grapes.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    With Summertime coming up, I like to take a banana and slice it..then lay the slices out inside a plastic bag. I freeze them and eat them like popsicles. You can also do this with grapes.

:'(
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I have half a banana a day on top of my oatmeal. Sometimes I'll have one after a workout when I'm exhausted and need a sugar hit.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, bananas

Yeah, I don't even track my sugar. I have 2-4 bananas a week.