Should I eat at my BMR?

Options
i have read a few places that your body only needs the calories you burn so basal metabolic rate . Mine is about 1380 and I know I eat that or more daily. If anything i average 1400. If I want to lose weight I have to eat 500 less calories than that daily? 880? That isn't possible. My weight really isn't moving but I've not gained weight eating more than 1380. I'm sick right now and have been for two days and I know I'm eating too much.
Also for the past two weeks I've consistently walked 5-7 miles daily and at least half an hour of that at 50% MHR .
So is 1380 my ideal calorie intake or? Thanks sorry if this is confusing im sick and tired

Replies

• pbandz
    pbandz Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Also I am 5'1 ~112 and want to lose weight. I want to know if 1380 is where I lose weight or is that 880?
  • hncary
    hncary Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    No, your BMR is what your body burns just because you're alive. You want to eat at a deficit from your TDEE. Usually 300-400cal deficit
  • CatHunterFit
    CatHunterFit Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    No your BMR is what your body needs if you don't move at all, all day! Your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) is the number you want to work from which also takes into consideration your activity level. See http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ for more
  • hncary
    Options
    http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

Go there to figure out your TDEE
  • CatHunterFit
    CatHunterFit Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Great minds think alike @hncary :)
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Just for reference, I'm 5'1", weigh 105 pounds and I maintain that weight at around 1400 calories with moderate exercise. But I'm also 60 years old. Younger people would get to eat a lot more.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    You need to eat at least your BMR at a bare minimum. Your BMR is what you'd burn if you stayed in bed and watched TV all day.
    You would want that 500 calorie deficit to be taken from your TDEE, which is the total number of calories you burned all day.
    So if you're eating 1400 calories, you want your TDEE (BMR + energy burned doing normal daily activities + exercise calories) to be around 1900.
  • hncary
    Options
    Great minds think alike @hncary :)

haha I guess so ;)
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I'm with the above replies on this one.
    You really need to work out your TDEE if you're looking for a more 'advanced' method of tracking. MFP does in-fact factor in your TDEE when giving you an 'allowance' based on your goals though.
    Either way, whatever you do.. Eating at your BMR wouldn't be a healthy or sustainable way to loose weight.

Have an awesome day/evening/night! :D
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    You are currently in the healthy range of BMI. In addition, you may want to recalculate your BMR - MFP has it at just over 1,000 calories. My advice would be to think twice before deciding to focus on losing weight vs. sculpting your body.
  • eckhofft
    eckhofft Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Here's a great MFP post to help you understand all this better: BMR and TDEE Explained
    I would recommend you figure your TDEE based on any of the online calculators you can find and then eat at that calorie range for 4-6 weeks to see if you maintain at that calorie number. If you maintain at that calorie goal then create a deficit of 500 calories from that number to lose weight. Here's another option of a TDEE Calculator
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Just for reference, I'm 5'1", weigh 105 pounds and I maintain that weight at around 1400 calories with moderate exercise. But I'm also 60 years old. Younger people would get to eat a lot more.
    Just had to say, you look great! Inspiring!
  • pbandz
    Options
    Fitbit and multiple websites have my BMR at ~1380 not 1000.
  • pbandz
    Options
    It said my total calorie expenditure was ~2100
  • pbandz
    Options
    Also to maintain at 1400 means in order to lose I need to eat like 1000 calories. I was 106 last year and gained weight and now I can't lose it
  • NotQuiteNorm
    NotQuiteNorm Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    pbandz wrote: »
    Also to maintain at 1400 means in order to lose I need to eat like 1000 calories. I was 106 last year and gained weight and now I can't lose it

Your BMR is right at around 1100-1300 according to IIFYM (unless you have an insanely low body fat percentage), I'd suggest you try to eat about 1200 calories a day for a week or two to see how your body reacts!
  • pbandz
    Options
    According to online calculators my BMR is ~1200 but by doing the math by hand I got ~1380. I feel naturally I eat ~1600 or fewer calories I day. I don't count daily since I don't have a scale and can't measure super accurately, plus it makes me crazy. When I am walking and moving and doing as much as I do while not eating 2000 calories, surprised I can lose weight I once lost. When I lost it before I went off of medication and it melted away after a few months. Now I can't go off meds and it's annoying the hell out of me. I also have been doing strength training among tons of damn cardio and yoga
  • NotQuiteNorm
    NotQuiteNorm Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    What medicine are you taking? I had mirtazapine for a while and literally left my second prescription un-claimed when I found out that not only did I lose my appetite - I gained like 10lb in 3 weeks!
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    BMR is irrelevant to weight loss and is clearly confusing you. Either let MFP set your calories or use TDEE. Make sure you understand the difference between the two methods.