14 month plateau and trying not to give up.

Options
Nico_the_enabler
Nico_the_enabler Posts: 123 Member
edited April 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Was just on my profile page looking at my goals and NSV's. its been over a year since I reached a goal or had a significant NSV. Today I weigh 700gm more than I did in Jan of 2014. Plateau anyone? I am not giving up. But after a year of trying, eating as best I can and moving. walking, running. I find myself feeling disillusioned and impatient. It would be so easy to give up. Nothing is working. I have eaten more, I have eaten less. I have eaten smaller amounts more frequently and all the other things my gym guy tells me to. Yet. here I am. Hearing the words starvation mode and my metabolism has gotten so used to me under eating that its sluggish and ineffective. So next week. I start afresh. Again. For what feels like the 10th time. Cals will be upped yet again, and cardio and weights will be changed around. I am scared. Read terrified. If i have barely managed to maintain on the 1400 cals a day i have been on for the last 4 months and gain if i go any higher. I am sure you dear reader can appreciate how scary the thought of upping my cals again feels. 14mths of hard work and the only thing left to me is to eat more yet again and see what happens. I don't really have a question.. But I do have two things to say.

When people here tell you that you aren't eating enough. Listen. I may have lost 24kg that first year but it pales in comparison when you compare it to the frustration of the last 14mths.

Secondly. Never underestimate the effect stress and anxiety and medication can have on your weight loss journey. Sometimes you can do all the things, eat right and exercise and drink water etc and still not lose. It does not mean you failed. It never meant you failed.
Ok pity party over.

Replies

• Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The devil is in the details.

Since you are starting again take the time to start fresh. Do not use any of your old MFP food entries as the database is full of errors.
    Select a new entry for each food item you eat and verfiy it from a separate source, the usda website is a trusted source of accurate info.

Recommit to accurately weighing and logging every bit of food you eat.

Consider taking a couple week break from your exercise routine to get your baseline diet in order and verify you are in a calorie deficit.
    When the fat loss starts then slowly add your exercise back in. And by slowly I mean at a rate that you can make sure the calorie burns you log are accurate and you can maintain your deficit.

The 1400 cal goal is probably legit but run your numbers on another site just to verify.

You get the picture, weigh, log, verify. The devil is in the detail.

You got this. Never give up
  • Nico_the_enabler
    Nico_the_enabler Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Some good ideas in there. Thankyou.
    As I don't live in the United States, A lot of the foods I eat aren't listed so I get them from the packaging and such. I am a bit pedantic about that.
    Also. I took a month break from my exercise to get my baseline so I have already done that. Just have to try this and see how it goes.