Salads: not always the best option!

Options

Replies

• Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Here's a tip. I take salad dressings, usually the lite options... and I water them down into another bottle. I LOVE Ken's lite caesar dressing, but it's still high in calories. So I dilute it 50/50 with water into a separate bottle and it's actually a better taste to me. :) It's not too heavy and it gives me that taste that I like!

That's a great idea! I like to "water" mayo down with lemon juice. The tangier flavor is really nice as well as cutting some calories. :)
  • Bearbrat
    Bearbrat Posts: 230
    Options
    I have made this mistake, I ended up eating over half or more of my calories to one salad because I didn't pay attention to the salad dressing, What beachiron said........I would've left the dressing and went for one with steak :)
  • Bearbrat
    Bearbrat Posts: 230
    Options
    Salads are fine if there's a steak sitting on top.
    This :smile:
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

I don't like Cesar salad, so I am good there. For the regular side or dinner salads, I ask the waitress to skip the croutons and cheese and to bring me a light raspberry vinaigrette dressing on the side. It is a way to control the calories and it works for me.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    The rule of thumb with salads:

Keep it simple and from the earth (veggies; nuts; seeds)
    If you are going to put animal protein on it: do not go with FRIED anything, grilled is a better option and low fat cheese (measure the cheese and go light)
    Dressing: vinaigrette is the best way to go; creamy will just get you into trouble (and WHY would you or others put 3 pkgs of dressing on your salad? are you having a salad or a bowl of dressing? - 2 TBSP is more than enough - I actually opt for 1 TBSP; I don't like an over dressed salad, but that's me).

EDIT: fruit is a good option too but I don't care for this one; I like it on the side
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions! :) I especially like this one:
    Here's a tip. I take salad dressings, usually the lite options... and I water them down into another bottle. I LOVE Ken's lite caesar dressing, but it's still high in calories. So I dilute it 50/50 with water into a separate bottle and it's actually a better taste to me. :) It's not too heavy and it gives me that taste that I like!

Reminds me of when I water down juice (especially those "from concentrate" ones).

Another thing I've done is skip the dressing all together and slice up some extra tomatoes :) I find the only reason I have dressing some days is so it's not so "dry" so the extra tomatoes solve that problem! :)
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I often have salads as a meal, then I don't feel guilty about the meat and cheese in them. I also order my dressing on the side, and then dip my fork into the dressing before picking up a bite of the salad so I get a tiny taste of dressing with every bite. when making mayo based dressings at home, I use half mayo and half yogurt or quark cheese. I've found that a tablespoon of each along with whatever I'm using for flavouring is enough.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    l.jpg

Pittsburgh Steak Salad- Thats right, it has french fries on top. with lots of crumbled Blue Cheese and dressing. I do not want to contemplate the calorie count but I used to eat this and think it was Healthy because its a salad right? LMAO
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    That's why I get my dressing on the side and dip my fork.

That works for me, too. I find I'm enjoying salads with a lot less dressing now. Most of the time I can find a salad without all the extra cheese and other calorie-laden elements. It's easy for me to pick out the croutons and not eat them; not worth the calories to me.
  • candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of my own dressings at home so if I know I am going to be out for the day I can put a jar of dressing in a insulated lunch pack with an ice pack. Otherwise, if it is spur of the moment I either work out a lot to work the extra calories off or skip the dressing. Lemon or lime juice can be a good substitute as well for salad dressing. Plenty flavorful without tons of calories.
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    True, when I go out somewhere, I never get a salad as my main. I'll just get a burger and sub the fries with a small salad (which is usually just greens with some olive oil/balsamic vinaigrette.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I travel for my job a lot. I used to eat a Chili's a lot, because I liked the "Quesadilla Explosion" salad and figured it was healthy.

It's got over 1,000 calories...

Over 1000? Try 1400. Basically a day's worth of eating and 3 days worth of saturated fat. But if you really want to be like WTF, Salad? Go check out the salad offerings at Cheesecake Factory. I eat the giant hamburger and still come in at half the calories.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Outlier here, but I love the dressings, especially creamy ones. I eat quite a bit of fat though. :)
  • Erikalynne18
    Options
    Dressing: vinaigrette is the best way to go; creamy will just get you into trouble (and WHY would you or others put 3 pkgs of dressing on your salad? are you having a salad or a bowl of dressing? - 2 TBSP is more than enough - I actually opt for 1 TBSP; I don't like an over dressed salad, but that's me).

I agree, I don't use a lot of dressing either but I swear this does happen. I have a co-worker who says she loves salads but won't eat it with less than 2 full packs of regular Caesar dressing. And I have heard complaints from customers also who feel that the restaurant I work at should automatically give 2 packs of dressing because "1 is ever enough, even 2 barely covers it!" But hey we all have our challenges to face right? I know I definitely didn't eat super healthy before! :) I'm just glad I'm not a huge dressing person!
  • Erikalynne18
    Options
    l.jpg

Pittsburgh Steak Salad- Thats right, it has french fries on top. with lots of crumbled Blue Cheese and dressing. I do not want to contemplate the calorie count but I used to eat this and think it was Healthy because its a salad right? LMAO

At least the dressing is on the side? :P It does look yummy though! But I agree, I'd hate to think of the calorie count now lol :P
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Always ask for the dressing on the side.
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    you know, i was a salad dressing *kitten*. I had no idea what the calorie content of them was, i assumed because it went hand in hand with salad that it would be good/ healthy. So i learned the hard way. So my tip... I bet loads of you go erghhhhhhhhhhhhh at this one....I drizzle a few tspn's of pickled beetroot juice over my salad. I am sure its not uber healthy but for sure its not as bad as ranch and other creamy dressings. I also love a teaspoon of mustard piccalilli for a change, its so strong in flavour just dunking the tip of your fork in it can flavour a 300g bag of salad no bother. Also john west tuna steak packs. there is a sweet chilli marinade version thats not too bad calorie wise but its like dressing!
  • Erikalynne18
    Options
    Outlier here, but I love the dressings, especially creamy ones. I eat quite a bit of fat though. :)

You aren't the only one! I do love Caesar salad dressing as well... but at a fast food restaurant even the "light" version can be worst then the typical "regular" version from the grocery store.

But hey if you make it work for you then great! :) I'm not even CLOSE to being perfect with my diet but as long as I'm honest and fit it in then it's fine to me! I don't like to cut out the things I love, just moderation works fine for me :)
  • penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Love my salads ! When eating out I always ask for the dressing and cheese on the side - If it has protein usually grilled salmon or chichen I don't use any dressing - cut it up and toss together - At home we cook up various cuts of protein in different marinades - and or grill different fruits n veggies --slice it up - mix up a variety of greens and toss together - if we feel it needs more we might add 1/3 of a TBSP of dressing or a squeeze of lemon juice - super tasty and very low cal ( depending on the protein)..

I used to just dip my fork in the dressing before scooping up the salad - it saves tons of calories - but if you have flavorful fixings you don't need it

Its stinking hot here today - we had a big green salad with sliced chicken and for lunch - and having a shirataki noodle salad for dinner tonite - bed of greens, shirataki, snap peas, bell peppers and shanghai season grilled steak! nom nom nom..... bon appetit!
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    l.jpg

Mmm I miss Pittsburgh food! I used to put french fries on my salads here in Southern Louisiana, and they look at me like I'm crazy. Sooo good.