Popcorn: Pop Away or Ditch the Kernels?

Options
Neshmi
Neshmi Posts: 42 Member
Popcorn has long been one of my favorite snack foods. I always pop my own at home, usually in a pot with some oil. I'll top it with a little melted butter and some sea salt. However, I have an air popper, and I'm thinking I can make it healthier if I skip the oil and use the popper.

What's your take? Is popcorn a food to be avoided altogether? How do you make your popcorn, and what do you season it with?

-Neshmi

Replies

• ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I just made a batch of air popped popcorn today and i love it....I wanted to get away from the processed additives etc in microwave or bagged popcorn. I just eat mine plain or with a little sea salt..
  • janebshaw
    janebshaw Posts: 168
    Options
    Popcorn is a healthy whole grain food. Enjoy it!
  • cupcakes_and_cardio
    cupcakes_and_cardio Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I air-pop mine as well, way better IMO. I have a butter seasoning that I bought at wal mart that has no cals and all that extra junk, but it does give you a nice, mild flavor of butter, not too overwhelming and a lot better than regular stick butter
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    popcorn is my one grain vice that i love.
    keep it , skip the pre made microwave bags, yes it pops JUST FINE in a regular paper bag!
  • lorettasnewbeginning
    Options
    Keep it. One of my favorite ways to enjoy air popped popcorn is to add olive oil spray, seasalt and pepper!
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I have an air popper too. Popcorn is one of my favorite snacks. It is great with parmesan cheese. I use a micro planer to grate it so you do not need a lot. Another topping I like is Frank's hot wing sauce.
  • I_am_Kara
    I_am_Kara Posts: 2,593 Member
    Options
    Keep it...plus some stores carry plain, unsalted,not buttered, cholesterol free popcorn if your worried about the health contents...
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I love popcorn too but the difference for me is when I eat it we pop it in coconut oil and drizzle a little butter on it. I don't like eating it without, it's like eating styrofoam to me. Plus I end up with the insulin spike and plummet but the fat keeps me from doing that. I work it into my calories and I don't worry about the fat because it's very good for you and your body needs it.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I gained too much weight on popcorn because I have NO portion control. If I were able to control my portions I don't think it would be unhealthy at all.

2 cups = fine 20 cups = not fine.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Air popped popcorn has so few calories I could eat bowls and bowls.

But I'm lazy so I buy popsecret and eat a giant bag. Every. Day.
  • tootoop224
    tootoop224 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Keep it. Control portions. Air popped is better calorie wise, I use Parkay zero calorie spray, no hydrogenated oils. Probably crap, but tates pretty good.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I've heard some people like it so much that they get addicted to popcorn.

For that reason, I'm never going to eat it.

Not even once.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Popcorn killed my parents so I'm never going to eat it.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

Not even once.

I have heard about people getting addicted to milk and diet soda, too. I don't need those monkeys on my back, thank you.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

Not even once.

It's serious.

popcorn-o.gif
  • squiggyflop
    squiggyflop Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I used to pop popcorn at home. I used a tablespoon or so of ghee (like clarified butter) as the oil in the pan. The ghee also acted as the butter flavoring so all it needed after was some fine salt. I havent had it since starting my weight loss journey because those microwave popcorn thingys are so much easier to portion.

Popcorn is one of my top 10 favorite foods
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    38559765.jpg
  • JessieTangerine
    JessieTangerine Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I live in an apartment so microwaves and air poppers are not something I want to waste valuable kitchen storage space on, therefore I make my popcorn on the stove. If you are not opposed to preservatives, dyes, and other unmentionables try kernel's seasonings. They are usually found in the popcorn aisles of grocery stores. I use them when I want to avoid the great amount of calories that it takes to make my popcorn buttery enough...and when I want my my popcorn to taste like cheddar cheese.
  • kschoono
    kschoono Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I used to love popcorn w/ lots of butter but then I realize It was too much calories, so I switched to spraying I can't believe it is butter spray that have no calories or carbs. I love the spray so much that I also use it for other foods too. :)
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Absolutely pop away! I make a batch of kettle corn with coconut oil and a little organic sugar tossed in. ~250 calories per serving, zero sodium and it's such a tasty and filling snack.