New to Working Out...Help from the Pros?

Options
Hi guys!

Well, I am a 5'7" female who weighs around 220. :/ My first goal is to get below 200, but I eventually want to get down to 160.

I am not a big eater really, but I don't eat the healthiest of foods. In fact, I have been under my calorie goals every day for the past week without changing what I eat at all...I have been eating my exercise calories, though, plus I only set my goal to lose one pound per week because I want to be able to stick with it.

I think two things contributed to me gaining a lot of weight -- I was at around 185 (overweight, but I carried it pretty well because I was in reasonably good shape, and I'm "big boned."), but I waited tables for 12-hour shifts 5-6 days per week, walked 3 blocks to work and back every day, etc. Then, long story short, I shacked up with my BF in another town, got a job working from home (which I love much more and which pays a lot more), and became MUCH more sedentary than I ever was before.

I also have a bit of a drinking problem, to be honest. I was drinking 2-3 Four Lokos almost every night. At 660 calories a piece, that isn't good.

So, the past week, I have been eating under my calorie goals and have all but quit drinking. (Although I did have one today, but I still stayed 300 cals under my calorie goal). I have also been working out. I was doing between 60-90 minutes all week, but I skipped yesterday and only did 45 mins today because I had a lot of errands to run and such.

With my cardio, I have been mostly been doing walking at 3.0 MPH for between 35-70 minutes a day. I usually do it on "flat ground" but do boost up the incline up to 4.0 or 4.5 for a few mins at a time, then back to flat, a few more mins on an incline, etc. Then, I do around 15-20 mins on the stationary bike and 5-10 mins on the elliptical (that thing just about kills me!)

Am I doing it right? I slacked off yesterday and today at the gym, but I plan on hitting it full force tomorrow and all of next week. I want to do about 2 hours of cardio every day, or at least 90 minutes. I want to start with a bit of strength training, but I don't know where to begin. A personal trainer isn't an option because my gym is a small 24-hour gym with no one working it (you let yourself in with a card, no matter what time of day), and the closest gym with trainers and such is an hour away.

Sorry so long, but I really need help!

Replies

• MrsLMKing
    MrsLMKing Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    By the way...I do think I have gotten results already, even in just a week, but I haven't been on the scales. (Need to buy some, really...I weighed last at my mom's house.) My jeans that are usually tight are a tad bit looser, and I have noticed a reduction in my "back fat" (gross, right?).

I just need to know if there is something else that I need to do. Like, are my cardio workouts ok for now?

Also, I need a bit of advice about starting strength training. Although I was relatively fit before from having a more active job and walking, I have never lifted weights in my life.