Still looking in the mirror and seeing the 'fat' girl?

Options
2»

Replies

• katnroyal87
    katnroyal87 Posts: 8,789 Member
    Options
    I am still technically obese by BMI standards...but I wear a size 10/12. I started at a size 18.

I still have days where I am wearing my "fat goggles" and I cannot see what everyone else sees. Just last week I was working with my dear friend/trainer and made a comment about my "short arms, fat legs". He stopped right then and corrected me "strong, muscular legs. Not fat legs". We talked about it later, and I thanked him for reminding me that my legs are not fat, they have muscle. He said big and fat has morphed into big, firm and muscular.

Personally, I think my issue is that my eyes are automatically drawn to my love handles. If I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror across the room, it takes me a few seconds to realize it's really ME. Nothing thrills me more than noticing something as simple as the way my muscles move while I'm doing delt rows :)

I am still considered overweight by BMI standards. Makes me crazy. Go on what you feel and the progress you made, I found it best to ignore the BMI number!
  • LongTallSally76
    LongTallSally76 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm so relieved to read this thread. I have lost 17kgs. I still have 7 to go. But I look in the mirror and feel like I am back at the beginning. Yesterday I packed away half my wardrobe to send to the charity shop. I decided I didn't want to have fat clothes in my wardrobe any more. When it came to my jeans, I was too scared to try on any of the jeans in the pile. I thought it would depress me because I might find that some pairs still fit! I left the pile of jeans for another day when I might feel a bit thinner. I won't be wearing any of them but can't bring myself just to take the whole pile and put them in the charity shop bag. So pathetic.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I am still technically obese by BMI standards...but I wear a size 10/12. I started at a size 18.

I still have days where I am wearing my "fat goggles" and I cannot see what everyone else sees. Just last week I was working with my dear friend/trainer and made a comment about my "short arms, fat legs". He stopped right then and corrected me "strong, muscular legs. Not fat legs". We talked about it later, and I thanked him for reminding me that my legs are not fat, they have muscle. He said big and fat has morphed into big, firm and muscular.

Personally, I think my issue is that my eyes are automatically drawn to my love handles. If I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror across the room, it takes me a few seconds to realize it's really ME. Nothing thrills me more than noticing something as simple as the way my muscles move while I'm doing delt rows :)

I am still considered overweight by BMI standards. Makes me crazy. Go on what you feel and the progress you made, I found it best to ignore the BMI number!

BMI is crap when you lift weights (and I do). I honestly don't think I will get down to a healthy BMI weight. I'd be too skinny. Instead, I picked a clothing size. I want to comfortably fit in a size 8/10.

I have moments, like so many others, when I see myself the way I truly am. The other day I caught my reflection in the glass door of the grocery store. I looked pretty 'normal' sized, and I had nice legs.

• cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I found this awesome video on Self magazine's website and wanted to put it here. It's a group of women who lost a significant amount of weight discussing exactly what we were all talking about in this thread:

http://www.shape.com/weight-loss/success-stories/how-your-brain-adjusts-weight-loss
  • SDB210
    SDB210 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Im the same, I'm thinking of sticking a before photo right next to my mirror to remind myself :blush: