New Rules for Lifting for Women or Strong Curves? Where to begin?

Options
I've been lifting for several years now, though not regularly lately but I want to get into a good program to lose fat and build up some muscle. I've heard a lot about both of these programs and am looking for opinions on which one to start first. They both look good and I've seen success stories for them both.

Should I do one before the other or doesn't it really matter?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It is completely personal preference. I would suggest looking over both books and then determining which one appeals to you more. You can google to find the details on each--for Strong Curves google "strong curves pdf" and you'll get a copy of the workouts straight from Contreras's site, for NROLFW there are a ton of blogs that go over the various phases. But I'd still suggest reading through the books themselves because there's a lot more info than just the workouts. Both books have good exercise glossaries that show how to do the exercises and a lot of variations as well.

I have both books and prefer SC. To me, NROLFW is more of an intro to lifting kind of book, written more for women who are completely new to it. SC has beginner and advanced programs and the programs just clicked more with me.
  • MaddyT122
    MaddyT122 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thank you, jemhh! I already have the SC book. I'll Google the NROLFW for more info on that one. But if it's mostly intro, SC might be a beter choice for me.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Burn fat and lose muscle don't tend to happen at the same time, particularly if you're an experienced lifter

If you need to lose weight eat at a defecit and follow either programme

If you want to body recomp eat at or around maintenance and follow either programme (or bulk and cut)

You don't need to swap and change progressive lifting programmes you just need to keep lifting heavier

Good luck
  • MaddyT122
    MaddyT122 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thanks, rabbitjb