Smoking Vs stamina

Options

Replies

• MissMary75044
    MissMary75044 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I switched to vaping about a year ago. For the first six months I would cheat and have the occasional cigarette. I've now been cigarette free since November and no longer want them.
  • ShayanKhan2015
    ShayanKhan2015 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Love and respect for all of you, thanks for your support and guidance, it's been my 11 hour I didn't smoked just coz I see posts of you people ..
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I don't think I am as addicted to cigarettes as many people seem to be. We all have different neurochemistry and while I smoked for many years, it was never very much at one time.
    I am able to smoke a cigarette every month or so and not pick it back up as a regular habit, etc. If I go out drinking with friends and have like 2 cigarettes on a Saturday--the gym on Monday is much much more painful on my lungs so that's a motivator not to smoke for sure!

A lot of people feel better switching to vaping because no smoke/tar. That+wanting to feel great when you exercise could be the motivation you need. Good luck!
  • cmcdonald525
    cmcdonald525 Posts: 140 Member
    Options

A lot of people feel better switching to vaping because no smoke/tar. That+wanting to feel great when you exercise could be the motivation you need. Good luck!

Not to mention all the different flavors! They keep me from binging on sweets. Any time I feel like picking up a candy bar or cookie I find myself thinking, "nah. I'll vape it instead...." Now if only I could find a cool ranch dorito e-juice. ..
  • Birdie1952
    Birdie1952 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    dougii wrote: »
    I smoked for 40 years, at times quite heavily. I tried gum, patches, and took Chantix for several years because I liked the dreams. One very cold January morning, home sick from work, out on my front porch I lit a smoke took a couple of drags, looked at it and asked myself just what the hell I was doing... Haven't touched a cigarette in over 4 years now. Traded smoking for exercise and running. I did find that a half dose of Chantix each day for the first number of months helped a bit with the cravings (and I got to keep those good dreams going) but eventually I got rid of this crutch as well. In the end only you have the strength and ability to give smoking up.

From my prospective there is no half way with this addiction (if I were to smoke one today I would be back to a pack a day in no time). I no longer think about smoking at all and the smell of them no longer bothers me. The odd part is that in a lot of my dreams I am still smoking..... Good luck with quiting!

I've been quit for 13 months. You are the first person that has talked about dreaming about smoking. I have those dreams too!! They are so real. I feel the burn at the back of my throat...taste the smoke.......wonderful. :smiley: Wish I could have one every night. :blush: I took Chantix to quit also. Wonder if that has anything to do with our dreams?
  • BMohring
    BMohring Posts: 1
    Options
    All you need to do to quit is to find out you have 2 fully occluded arteries and could have a lethal heart attack at any moment. Then you will have the motivation to quit. or you could just quit now before any of that happens
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    BMohring wrote: »
    All you need to do to quit is to find out you have 2 fully occluded arteries and could have a lethal heart attack at any moment. Then you will have the motivation to quit. or you could just quit now before any of that happens

Not necessarily. I had a friend who had throat cancer but kept smoking. He ended up dying from a wreck in a truck while drinking.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    Birdie1952 wrote: »
    I've been quit for 13 months. You are the first person that has talked about dreaming about smoking. I have those dreams too!! They are so real. I feel the burn at the back of my throat...taste the smoke.......wonderful. :smiley: Wish I could have one every night. :blush: I took Chantix to quit also. Wonder if that has anything to do with our dreams?

I still have smoking dreams eleven years later. They scare the heck out of me!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I wish people here would stop saying "There is always a way to quit." I think that is not true. If it were, why is lung cancer tied for first as the most common cancer in the United States, with about 221,000 new cases a year? Every smoker I know has tried to quit, over and over. Obviously, those people did not make it. This is not to mention all those people who get emphysema. Almost all cases of lung cancer are tied to smoking, and many cases of emphysema (AKA, COPD) are.
    I smoked for over 30 years, about two packs a day, starting at age 13 years. As you know, the earlier you start smoke the heavier a smoker you will be and the harder it will be for you to quit.
    I tried to quit for years. I had strong motivation. I play tennis and run. I played soccer until age 50 years. I tried every method and strategy available except hypnosis.
    Finally, I tried Chantix. I know it gets a bad rap, and it is often hard to get your insurance company to pay for it. I know some people experience bad dreams and scary emotional episodes. I know the studies that were done with Chantix to earn its FDA approval showed that it only increased the percentage of subjects who were not smoking at one year after starting from 25 percent to about 30 percent -- and many of those people probably had smoked a bit in the meantime and so likely returned to smoking after one year. But it worked for me.
    It is not easy to quit. It is really hard and many people never do. So, don't give up. Try anything and everything. Get whatever help you can. Try Chantix, it was a godsend for me.
    And keep up the exercise. I think it helps. It gives you added motivation before you quit. And you feel better exercising as soon as you do quit, which gives you some tangible, positive reinforcement.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I quit in July, cold turkey after 30 years. Go get it.
  • atypicalsmith
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The website whyquit.com did wonders for me. Did you know that after only 48-72 hours, the addiction of nicotine is OUT of your system and after that it's all mental? First day is tough, second day easier, and third day - what a relief it is!
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    Oh, and prostate cancer is the first most common, followed by breast cancer.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
  • Jessikin13
    Jessikin13 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I started vaping. Not saying it's for everyone, but I can breathe a heck of a lot better and can wean off my nicotine levels

Same.
  • aquamarina_182
    aquamarina_182 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    mind over matter, I quit cold turkey 3 months ago and have never looked back....i breathe alot better which makes working out a bit less strenuous
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    There's a book by Allen Carr called THE EASY WAY TO QUIT SMOKING. I've heard a lot of very good things about it. I was an on again, off again smoker for about 30 years, and I finally quit for good about 10 years ago when I had pneumonia. My lungs felt way too fragile for smoking after that.

I read Allen Carr's book last March. I had been a smoker for 18 years, and had attempted to quit many times over that period.

On March 8, 2014, i had my last cigarette as i finished the book. On March 8, 2015, i celebrated a year nicotine-free, thirty pounds lighter, and much, much healthier than a year before.

A few quick things on the book - it's not a magic bullet; there is no 'trick' to it. It simply helps you understand the ways that addiction works both physiologically and mentally, and helps you cut those away. It's written in plain language, and most importantly to a smoker - you are encouraged to continue to smoke while you read the book. It's not like you need to commit to quit, and THEN pick up the book. Allen will actually tell you to light up a cigarette periodically in the book.

You can order the book online; i have also found local book stores keep several copies on hand.

You CAN quit. I'd recommend the book if you want quitting to be relatively easy and painless.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

Actually, according to the latest figures from the National Cancer Institute, there are about 231,000 new cases of breast cancer every year, versus 221,000 new cases of lung cancer. So, yes, there are more breast cancer cases and it is the most common cancer. I would not say that difference is insignificant, but it is a pretty small difference, which is, I guess, what I was trying to portray.
    There are only 220,000 new cases of prostate cancer. So, technically, they are the same.
    If I can just add some information here, though, there are about 158,000 deaths from lung cancer per year. That compares with 40,000 from breast cancer and 27,000 from prostate cancer. It is that difference in mortality that perhaps led me to overstate the case, a bit.
    After all, it hasn't been that long that breast cancer has been more common than lung cancer, and these statistics vary a bit year to year and are not exact.
    http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/types/commoncancers
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    tufel wrote: »

Actually, according to the latest figures from the National Cancer Institute, there are about 231,000 new cases of breast cancer every year, versus 221,000 new cases of lung cancer. So, yes, there are more breast cancer cases and it is the most common cancer. I would not say that difference is insignificant, but it is a pretty small difference, which is, I guess, what I was trying to portray.
    There are only 220,000 new cases of prostate cancer. So, technically, they are the same.
    If I can just add some information here, though, there are about 158,000 deaths from lung cancer per year. That compares with 40,000 from breast cancer and 27,000 from prostate cancer. It is that difference in mortality that perhaps led me to overstate the case, a bit.
    After all, it hasn't been that long that breast cancer has been more common than lung cancer, and these statistics vary a bit year to year and are not exact.
    http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/types/commoncancers

The mortality rate of lung cancer is phenomenal. I know or know of several people who died from it, and not a single one ever smoked. Yet everyone I've ever known with throat cancer did.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I tried pills and patches, but the only thing that really worked for me was going cold turkey.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I had my last smoke 120 days ago....and started vaping...it's not a cop out at all.

Cigarettes have over 4000 known chemicals in them including anti depressants and chemicals that are known to help speed the uptake of nicotine into the body never mind the cancer causing ones.

It's not just the nicotine that is addictive...it's the actual habit. We all have our triggers. Getting in the car was one of mine...waking up...drinking coffee...after a meal.

Now I get my nicotine and the hand to mouth habit. And I have 4 chemicals in my juice.

It is so much cheaper than smoking and my lungs have better capacity.

My entire family has pretty much switched. My brother who smoked 2 packs a day hasn't had a smoke since December...he has had a vaporizor since October but depending on the voltage and nicotine levels some still smoke.

My dad still smokes occcasionally but not often, same with my sister...

If you have an issue with quitting try vaporizing. You do get lots of choices of flavors and you can reduce nicotine levels if you want.