Options
2»

Replies

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    mabug01 wrote: »
    I had a hysterectomy 3 weeks ago. My doctor has told me that I must lift no more than 5-10 pounds. For Life. Yep, He said "women your age, even if they have never had a hysterectomy, should never lift more than 5-10 pounds because you run the risk of injuring yourself internally." We should also not do lunges, or high impact aerobics. I'm wondering if anyone else has been given this advice. I'm particularly interested to hear the opinions of those of you who may have had a hysterectomy, and your experience with exercise afterward.

This sounds very very weird. Later in life women are benefited by lifting weights for so manr reasons...ant this internal injury thing weird. lunges and more...its just nothing I have ever heard.

Im 55 I lift 50 - 60 - 70 pounds on a weekly basis but I have been lifting since I was 34 years old.

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    get a new doctor. I'm 48 (almost 50) and i power lift in the hundreds of pounds range. Our bodies are way stronger than we think. I power lift with ladies in their 50s, 60 and even 70s. There is no way i am gonna limit my weight to 5 or 10 pounds, my plate of dinner weighs more than that.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a hysterectomy, but I'm in my mid-40s and have rheumatoid arthritis. My rheumatologist told me not to lift anything over five pounds. Four years later, I deadlift over 200 and squat almost 150, and nothing's exploded yet.

Doctors in general are not well educated on the benefits of lifting. You might want to talk to a sports doctor before you make any decisions.
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    I am so grateful to hear all your good advice and your stories. Thanks for your support. I won't let that doctor put limits on my life.
  • Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy at 25 and had a 1 yr old at home. I lifted him and everything else. I am now just a few months shy of 50 and I still anything I can. I suggest you find a new doctor because yours is giving you and other women over 50 very bad advice. Your bones will weaken if you keep them strong and lift.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy 3 weeks ago. My doctor has told me that I must lift no more than 5-10 pounds. For Life. Yep, He said "women your age, even if they have never had a hysterectomy, should never lift more than 5-10 pounds because you run the risk of injuring yourself internally." We should also not do lunges, or high impact aerobics. I'm wondering if anyone else has been given this advice. I'm particularly interested to hear the opinions of those of you who may have had a hysterectomy, and your experience with exercise afterward.

Never heard that, I've had a hysterectomy about 9 years ago. I lift heavy and nothing has fallen out. ;)
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I haven't had a hysterectomy myself, and I'm all for following doctors' advice, but I would clarify it or get another opinion, specific to your surgery. I've read lots about the benefits of strength training in older women, including the elderly. Limiting yourself to 10lb would mean that you couldn't do basic tasks like vacuuming or mowing the lawn.

It's my belief that muscle and bone health becomes even more important as we get older. I'm in my 50s with heart disease and doing heavy lifting (squats, deadlifts, etc.).
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options

My doctor told me last year lifting heavy was fine (I am 64). Your doc sounds very old school regarding "women your age..."

• mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Post-operatively I can see his point, but after that - no way! I know it can take varying times to recover from this op - two of my colleagues had it last autumn and one took much longer than the other to heal, even though they were similar age and fitness levels. I would definitely get another opinion.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    WTF?? Your doctor must be 150 and hasn't caught up with the times yet. Post-op yes, but not for life. Holy crap.

Also, I would encourage you to look into the "Strong Women Stay Young" and "Strong Women Stay Slim" books by Miriam Nelson. She has conducted studies on strength training and its benefits in women into their 60s, 70, 80s, and beyond.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'm 60 and had a D&C just before Easter. I've been swimming 4 times a week for 20 years, and my doctor forebade swimming for 20 days. I decided to go to the gym and start lifting. Dumb old me--I started with 10--15 kilos, depending on the machine. That's 22--33lbs right off the bat with absolutely no problems, and I never lifted in a gym before. Now I was a bit sore for a few days in my legs (squats) and my shoulders, but it went away within a week. It's true that I didn't have a hysteretomy, but I agree with everyone else. At least get a second (and maybe third) opinion from another doctor. I can swim again, but plan on continuing to do some lifting so I don't lose my gains there, and also plan to slowly increase the weights. Good luck. B)
  • Tortitudekitty
    Tortitudekitty Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    His post operative advice is standard about lifting any weight.

After that time period.........what is he on? Sure, you need to work things up at a pace that is right for you and not to get too ambitious too early.

His idea that women over 50 shouldn't lift anything heavier than a pint of milk would cause my GP to spit out his morning coffee! He was as surprised as I was when we discovered that due to cardio work my BP is now consistently in the region of 116/78 when I was at borderline hypertension. My good HDL cholesterol level is perfect and the bad LDL is reduced to safe levels due to weight training and sensible cardio exercise. Does he want to deny you this? It is an issue that can affect any of us as we get older.

I returned to weight training with a vengeance ater an absence of nearly 20 years in March 2014 after being diagnosed with hypothyroidism to boost my metabolism by hypertrophy. I am 57 years young. I currently deadlift 65kg (143lb) once a week and have plenty left in the tank and touch wood, no back issues. Also thrash around on other weight exercises involving bar, cable machines and dumbells! :)

Maybe he wants you to have crumbly bones and be at risk of falls when you get older due to lack of core strength. I would definitely get a second opinion.
  • mabug01
    Options
    missh1967 wrote: »
    WTF?? Your doctor must be 150 and hasn't caught up with the times yet. Post-op yes, but not for life. Holy crap.

Also, I would encourage you to look into the "Strong Women Stay Young" and "Strong Women Stay Slim" books by Miriam Nelson. She has conducted studies on strength training and its benefits in women into their 60s, 70, 80s, and beyond.

Thanks for these references.

• mabug01
    Options
    I returned to weight training with a vengeance ater an absence of nearly 20 years in March 2014 after being diagnosed with hypothyroidism to boost my metabolism by hypertrophy. I am 57 years young. I currently deadlift 65kg (143lb) once a week and have plenty left in the tank and touch wood, no back issues. Also thrash around on other weight exercises involving bar, cable machines and dumbells! :)

That is awesome! Thanks so much for the inspiration!