Carbs

Options
I stepped on the scale today n it highly depressed me I gained weight. I've been having such a prob staying away from sweets n bread n potatoes. I work out at least 3 times a week . How do u stay away or at least not consume so many carbs? Sweets r a weakness

Replies

• joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Carbs alone will not gain you weight. As mentioned in countless stickies on here, a caloric surplus will.

I lost over 100lbs on a diet which exceeded 400g of carbs a day.
  • xesixb
    xesixb Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Well,when I started I had to follow a low-carb diet,because of PCOS. So I took of my diet gluten, rice, sugar and potatoes (although I do have them once in awhile). When I crave sweet food, I eat an apple. They've helped me a lot with my sugar cravings. I also stay hydrated. It is very important to distinguish hunger from thirst. Tea is another hunger suppressant (it put your cravings at ease). I drink 1tbsp of olive oil in the morning and 1 cup of water with vinegar and lemon. Try it might help your weight-loss process as it did with me.
    Don't be depressed as you'll slowly start to see the success with the changes you've done.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I eat around 225 grams of carbs per day when I'm cutting...way more in maintenance...carbs don't make you gain weight...consuming more energy than is required makes you gain weight. To that end, a lot of carbs are high calorie...cakes and cookies and what not have a lot of sugar as well as dietary fat...in and of themselves, not an issue, but they make these types of foods calorie dense so it's easy to overeat.

Also, there's nothing wrong with potatoes...please don't lump potatoes in with "junk food"...potatoes are a highly nutritious whole food.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with carbs. Simply cut your overall calorie consumption according to what MFP tells you. No particular food will cause you to gain weight, only consuming too many calories (barring certain health conditions).
  • xesixb
    xesixb Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I eat around 225 grams of carbs per day when I'm cutting...way more in maintenance...carbs don't make you gain weight...consuming more energy than is required makes you gain weight. To that end, a lot of carbs are high calorie...cakes and cookies and what not have a lot of sugar as well as dietary fat...in and of themselves, not an issue, but they make these types of foods calorie dense so it's easy to overeat.

Also, there's nothing wrong with potatoes...please don't lump potatoes in with "junk food"...potatoes are a highly nutritious whole food.

I totally agree. Potatoes are delicious and you can use them in many recipes, so unless you have a medical condition like me, where you watch out for insulin spikes, use them in moderation.
  • tequila5000
    tequila5000 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I think the issue with carbs is that they are so often paired with lots of fat (so lots of calories) or lots of sugar (so lots of calories). Maybe a way to have carbs and still see results that you want, is to find ways to eat carbs without all sorts of fat and/or added sugars added on. So for example, oatmeal with fruit to sweeten rather than oatmeal with big spoons of sugar to sweeten. A baked potato with salsa, rather than a baked potato with butter and sour cream.

I LOVE carbs, I eat a lot of them, and I still can see my progress. it can take time to experiment and find out what appeals to you. it can also take time for your taste buds to adjust. (I'm not gonna lie and say that a donut doesn't taste fantastic while I'm eating it. But the reality is that it doesn't keep my full for very long, and then I keep reaching for "something else" and then "something else" and then "something else". Which adds up to lots of calories! When i have a bowl of oatmeal sweetened with fruit, it keeps me going for a while, so I can stay within my calorie goal for the day).

You can do it!
  • tashambell59714
    tashambell59714 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have to watch my carb consumption. I consume around 1500 calories for a nursing mother and consume approx. 120 carbs. I do not have a medical condition at this time but I notice that my body responds differently to carbs vs fat. So for me Carbs are my enemy in weight loss. I am slowly adding more low glycemic foods into my everyday life instead of High Glycemic which I have also noticed affect my weight loss.
  • danielmaznabi
    danielmaznabi Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrate inhibitors can also give you a helping hand, however making sure that they're completely natural for you is very important!