Trying to maintain and hungry!!

Options
I reached my goal weight several weeks ago eating 1,200 calories (I am older, 48, and small, 5'3" and 113 pounds), and began adding back 100 calories per day. The first week, I stayed the same, so I stayed at 1,300. The next week, I lost 1 1/2 pounds so I upped my calories to 1,400. Last week, my weight was the same, so I planned to stay at 1,400 this week. However, I have been so hungry that I've ended up at 1,500 or 1,600 every day! I am wondering if it's normal to get hungrier when you're eating more, and if you should go ahead and eat, or really try to stay within your calorie goal. Has anyone had this experience?
My exercise is the same as I've been doing all along, so it's not that. I really don't want to start gaining!

Replies

• cjames010
    cjames010 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I got hungrier eating more calories (lost at 1200, maintenance is about 1500 without exercise)

If you're not gaining then you are ok! I weigh myself everyday to keep track of trends. I haven't gained weight eating more. I do have a +/-3 pound maintenance range.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Just see what you weigh in a week or two.

Honestly experience has shown that my maintenance calories are not enough the week before my period because I'm just too hungry. So I keep a deficit the rest of the time to make up for it.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Finding your actual maintenance calories can take a while. I would wait at least 2-4 weeks to see a trend before adjusting your caloric intake.

Regarding your question on feeling hungry. Are you getting a good balance of proteins and fats in your diet?

Congrats on reaching your goal!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    It takes a while finding maintenance cals, took me 5 months! I kept upping (from 1600 up)and all was good then at 5 month point boom gained 3lbs just when I was beginning to really enjoy those extra cals - I was eating 2200 on average! And the gain didn't disappear either!!

So yes, I got hungrier and fed my body more, still kept weighing in twice weekly knowing there'd be fluctuations but after weeks at higher end of goal range I had to wise up and start cutting once more, boohoo!

I'm 5ft 2" /45 yrs - true maintenance is 2100 as I'm very active. Currently cutting again to 1700-1800 cals to lose what I gained!

Maintenance continues to be something I work at.

Congratulations on getting to goal :smiley: